Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #41
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
CM didn't seem to have any of the same trouble, so I was confused about how alien she believed she was.
She did though. Explaining that there was shape shifting aliens as though it was a common thing. Talking to the security guard. Waiting for the computer.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #42
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
yep, at least in Thor 1 the final battle was between two guys that had a somewhat complicated love/hate relationship, and it hurt Thor to let Loki drift away into the void. CM on the other hand had no issues giving the old Indiana Jones treatment to Yon Rogg, stuffing him in a space ship and sending him packing, all with a confident smile.
Yeah big difference in relationship there though.

Thor/Loki were brothers that grew up together as kids, Thor mentions he's 1500 years old, so lots of history there between the two brothers.

CM and Yon Rogg is a little different - sure he's trained you for the last 6 years as a mentor. But you now find out he's also the reason you lost your old life to begin with, that he's lied to you for 6 years, has been trying to keep you away from your past, and that he's really just been training you to develop you as a weapon.

So Captain Marvel probably has the right reaction there considering the circumstances - bigger argument probably could have been if they could have done something to make Yon Rogg more likable so they needed to make it look like it was more of a struggle.

The one area where I do think they failed to show the character growth was in her decision to stay in space to help others. Really the movie was about her finding herself, and about her past. Then when she did find her past and her friends that loved her, she didn't really have a struggle between staying on earth with her friends vs. going to space to end the war as Mar-vell hoped.

They just kind of glossed over that decision like it was a no-brainer that she would carry out the work of Mar-vell.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #43
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
CM and Yon Rogg is a little different - sure he's trained you for the last 6 years as a mentor. But you now find out he's also the reason you lost your old life to begin with, that he's lied to you for 6 years, has been trying to keep you away from your past, and that he's really just been training you to develop you as a weapon.
An unemotional weapon no less.

Perhaps could have done better on her realizing she's been fighting on the wrong side, but really they touched on that enough.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #44
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw it last night. Went in with pretty moderate expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

I would agree a little more of the flashbacks when she was younger might have helped build her narrative a bit, but overall, for what is a very complicated backstory, I thought they did a great job of laying it out without too much expository dialogue. I thought part way through that they did a great job of making this accessible to people without any knowledge or care of the MCU. You dont need to see any other movies to understand this, it is very much stand-alone with easter eggs for fans.

I'd agree her character development wavered a bit with the amount of time jumps. But I liked her attitude. A nice change from what are usually pretty stoic and serious superheroes (particuarly the women) and making her unafraid of being goofy. Screaming back at Skrulls while taking them down was funny. But then, when taking on Yon Rogg at the end, I loved the irony of him trying to remind her that she's the emotional one, when it's obviously the other way around in that moment. Giving the Skrulls a more casual attitude than, lets say, the Vulcans, I think goes a long way to connecting with them as well.

Little things go a long way for fans too. When Yon Rogg calls in the Skrull invasion of Earth to Ronin and he wants to eradicate them, Hounsou's character was about to freely give him the coordinates before Yon Rogg stopped him. A cool little foreshadow to him aligning with Ronin later on as a radical.

The de-aging was remarkable, especially on Jackson. Doesn't hurt that he still looks 40 regardless, but still. Fine work from the effects team. Coulson looked good too, but not quite as much.

Neat to see the Skrulls flipped as "good" guys. I wouldnt doubt there have been some Skrulls working in Shield that Fury kept planted here. Interested to see where it goes from here.

Last edited by Coach; 03-19-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Coach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Finally saw CM last weekend with my 15 year old son. We both thought it was kind of average for a Marvel movie, maybe rate it 6/10.

This seems obvious to point out, but Brie was red-hot sexy, whether in the CM uniform or NIN t-shirt. I liked best how business-like she was, especially the way she so calmly hunted down the Skrull on the train.

Also, I thought Samuel was terrific as Nick Fury. Real good performance there.

Maria and Monica were good too - how long before Monica becomes Photon?

The Skrulls were handled in a surprising and touching way.

How come Nick Fury never called for CM before, all the other times the world was threatened?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #46
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Finally saw CM last weekend with my 15 year old son. We both thought it was kind of average for a Marvel movie, maybe rate it 6/10.

This seems obvious to point out, but Brie was red-hot sexy, whether in the CM uniform or NIN t-shirt. I liked best how business-like she was, especially the way she so calmly hunted down the Skrull on the train.

Also, I thought Samuel was terrific as Nick Fury. Real good performance there.

Maria and Monica were good too - how long before Monica becomes Photon?

The Skrulls were handled in a surprising and touching way.

How come Nick Fury never called for CM before, all the other times the world was threatened?
I think this question is pretty easily answered actually.

The first Avengers, the issue happened within a few days, and Fury had no idea that the threat would end up being an army coming through a wormhole until it actually started happening.

Ultron was similar, and he wasn't even really involved in that. There just wasn't time for someone else to show up.

And he thought he had set up a team to replace her (as per the end of Captain Marvel).

Infinity War was on Earth for 1 or 2 days max, and when he realized his team had lost (which happened basically as he was learning about the invasion at all), that's when he sent the message.

I also think (potential spoiler if right):
Spoiler!

Last edited by Coach; 03-28-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Coach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post: