Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

80th and Ivy on 17th ave

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I have noticed a lot of the restaurants opening up around here are going for that wide open concept, the dinner party feel I think they call it now.

I don't want to have dinner with the people beside me, however I do enjoy smaller venues and it seems like many of those listed in here are of that type. I appreciate all the suggestions so far.. I think District, Raw Bar and Taste have stood out the most for me so far.

One thing that drives me nuts about a restaurant is not having a webpage.. I like to be able to view the menu online to see if there is anything that catches my eye, most importantly though I want to know that they serve good beer. It has been and probably will be in this case, a deal breaker.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
One thing that drives me nuts about a restaurant is not having a webpage.. I like to be able to view the menu online to see if there is anything that catches my eye, most importantly though I want to know that they serve good beer. It has been and probably will be in this case, a deal breaker.
I have a bad tendency to quote Oatmeal for a lot of stuff, but this reminds me of one of my favs, because it's so true:

Spoiler!
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I have noticed a lot of the restaurants opening up around here are going for that wide open concept, the dinner party feel I think they call it now.

I don't want to have dinner with the people beside me, however I do enjoy smaller venues and it seems like many of those listed in here are of that type. I appreciate all the suggestions so far.. I think District, Raw Bar and Taste have stood out the most for me so far.

if you're a beer snob and want some fancy beer, check out Charcut. They've got some pretty pricey beers ($40/pint) and some unique ones.

If you're into charcuterie and rustic food, charcut is for you.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to Charcut in August. While the food was tasty enough, the portions were ridiculously small. Don't go there and expect to leave full without spending a ridiculous amount of money. I left unsatisfied. The butcher steak for instance was like 6 little slices of a steak.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #26
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I always think for the "reasonably high standard food but pretty casual and not too pricey" option you want to split a pizza and another dish at UNA or Pulcinella. Getting a pizza and the caprese at Pulcinella is instant win for two.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

My coworker's brother owns Downtown Food on 8th Ave and 6th Street and I have been majorly impressed with the food there. It's not super expensive, but you get some majorly tasty stuff. It's basically farm to table source of food, everything is local, and often things are prepared with an asian flair.

I went there for dinner on NYE and everything that we were served from a 6 course meal was pretty much amazing, I've since been for lunch as well and also had a great meal.

It's apparently one of the favourite restaurants of Connie and John (from Charcut) and is getting some pretty rave reviews around town.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/downtown-food-calgary
Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Another quick question, how is the zoo in the winter time? Are all the animals still around but inside now? Not nearly as fun as the summer?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have to give a shout out to Blue Star Diner in bridgeland. Eveything is locally sourced and the place focuses on breakfast but does a mean burger or taco's in the evening. A little bit outside of downtown so usually quiet on a Saturday night.

http://bluestardiner.ca/
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Another quick question, how is the zoo in the winter time? Are all the animals still around but inside now? Not nearly as fun as the summer?
I've never been in the winter but we're considering going just to see the penguin walk - M, W, S @ 11 am. If you go with plans to see that, might want to phone before you go to see if they're doing the walk that day - penguin walks will be held when the temperature is between a comfortable -25C and 10C - also, if the penguins refuse to go for a waddle, they don't force them, so even if the weather cooperates, the penguins might not.

Last edited by Minnie; 02-06-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #31
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No Nellies recommendation yet? You're getting old and slow CP.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #32
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
I'm going to Cibo for a dinner later this week. I will post my takes in this thread.
Had my dinner at Cibo last night. Overall it was a really great meal. My first thought when entering the restaurant was "Holy crap this place is huge". If you're looking for a more intimate setting, maybe this isn't the place for a Valentines dinner. The food though was really top notch. I had some ravioli with a beef pork and mushroom ragu, and a creamy gorgonzola cream sauce, topped with truffle oil. Really good. A few at the table ordered pizzas, and they looked really nice. A nice airy crust and interesting toppings like wild boar bacon. The best part was they had Grandville Island Winter Ale on tap for $4.95 "pints". Love that stuff. I put the pints in quotes because they were probably only 14 oz glasses.

8.5/10, would bang again
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #33
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was at Ruth Chris again last night....never had a bad meal there.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Was at Ruth Chris again last night....never had a bad meal there.
I'm a big fan. Those Lyonnaise potatoes... don't even!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Ruth's Chris

What is Ruth doing with Chris? Why the possessive?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #36
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find the animals are actually more active in the winter.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #37
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lady named Ruth Fertel bought a steakhouse named Chris Steak House, then renamed it Ruth's Chris.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #38
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Had my dinner at Cibo last night. Overall it was a really great meal. My first thought when entering the restaurant was "Holy crap this place is huge". If you're looking for a more intimate setting, maybe this isn't the place for a Valentines dinner. The food though was really top notch. I had some ravioli with a beef pork and mushroom ragu, and a creamy gorgonzola cream sauce, topped with truffle oil. Really good. A few at the table ordered pizzas, and they looked really nice. A nice airy crust and interesting toppings like wild boar bacon. The best part was they had Grandville Island Winter Ale on tap for $4.95 "pints". Love that stuff. I put the pints in quotes because they were probably only 14 oz glasses.

8.5/10, would bang again
Yea I call those Calgary Pints, not quite a pint but not quite a glass.. somewhere in the middle, but usually for more money.

Thanks for the review, appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #39
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yea I call those Calgary Pints, not quite a pint but not quite a glass.. somewhere in the middle, but usually for more money.

Thanks for the review, appreciate it.
My friend's Scottish dad constantly gets in arguments with bartenders when he tells them the pint of beer they just poured him isn't a pint.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #40
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
My friend's Scottish dad constantly gets in arguments with bartenders when he tells them the pint of beer they just poured him isn't a pint.
I had my first Calgary Pint experience at Craft. The server brought me a Calgary Pint, I asked what this was, she said read the fine print. It says in the fine print that their pints are classified as less than an actual pint (I think it is 0.4 L, or 0.84 of a pint). So I imagine they had been accused of this many, many times prior.