Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #61
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Bush League? Lol, the people on CP are fans of the NHL and not members of a league. If you can't enjoy stuff like this why even be a fan? Its like being against a player celebrating too much. This is the way Wilson plays, he was asking for it.

You can be a fan of hockey and the NHL without enjoying these types of hits.

And yeah I don't equate seeing someone knocked silly as the same thing as enjoying someone's celebration. Odd comparison.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #62
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Never want to see anyone take irreversible brain trauma, but you have to appreciate the poetic appropriateness of Wilson receiving the exact kind of borderline hits he's been dishing out. Any argument in defense of his hit on Seney applies just as much here.
I'm quite certain if the roles were reversed Wilson would have gone for the head shot. Reaves could have pretty much ended Wilson if he targeted the head but he didn't the only thing questionable about the hit was how long it had been since Wilson touched the puck.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #63
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prison justice
Old 12-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #64
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed the Ovi hit. Separated man from puck with a solid shoulder to the chest. Reminds me of when Datsyuk lit up Johnny.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #65
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Would have been nice if the Flames could have signed Reaves last offseason, likely that would have meant that Neal wasn't signed and it would have given the Flames some toughness when playing teams like the Oilers and their cavemen, Lucic and Kassian.
I woulda rather signed Reaves than Ryan. Could you imagine how much more of a #####disturber Chuckie could be if he had Reaves watching his back?
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #66
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely I would have rather had Reaves.

Same age, Derek Ryan is signed for a year longer but makes about $400000 more a year. Reaves has one more point in two more games played this season. 5'11 170 vs. 6'1" 225.

The Flames would just play bigger with him in the lineup.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #67
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You’re right guys. Not having Reaves or a guy who can compete with Lucic or Kassian is the reason why we are 1st in the Pacific while Vegas and the Oilers are decidedly not.

Reaaaaally holding us back.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 12-05-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #68
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Pretty blatant interference on the second hit.

No reason to celebrate a guy banging his head off the ice, I don't care who it is.

When the rules and their enforcement fall short of protecting you or your team mates, then I have no problem taking matters into your own hands. Wilson should think twice next time. Message sent.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #69
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
When the rules and their enforcement fall short of protecting you or your team mates, then I have no problem taking matters into your own hands. Wilson should think twice next time. Message sent.

Think twice about what? I didn’t see Wilson do anything terrible to the Knights or break the rules in any way?

What are you referencing here?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #70
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm Do you think Vegas would take Neal for Reaves if we retained some salary? We need a player like him to win a playoff series.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #71
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
If a hit is late, than it can't be clean.
Its maybe a touch late - hence the interference call. Should have been 2 minutes for interference. Maybe nothing if it wasn't late. Was it even late? It was close...
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #72
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Its maybe a touch late - hence the interference call. Should have been 2 minutes for interference. Maybe nothing if it wasn't late. Was it even late? It was close...

Yeah I agree with you, I really don’t have an issue with the hit.

It’s some of the comments here about him deserving it or hoping that he didn’t get up that irk me.

Doesn’t matter who the player is, wishing that stuff on anybody is classless and a bad look for hockey fans.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #73
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
You can be a fan of hockey and the NHL without enjoying these types of hits.

And yeah I don't equate seeing someone knocked silly as the same thing as enjoying someone's celebration. Odd comparison.
In general I would say no, however being who Tom Wilson is, it was as enjoyable as a an over the top celebration.

Due to the fact that Tom Wilson plays a kind of heel type skilled gladiatorial role, this is a fair and just result of his actions. A result that is certainly one of the guilty pleasures of the game that occurs from time to time.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 12-05-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #74
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You’re right guys. Not having Reaves or a guy who can compete with Lucic or Kassian is the reason why we are 1st in the Pacific while Vegas and the Oilers are decidedly not.

double post

Last edited by rohara66; 12-05-2018 at 12:05 PM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #75
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The comparison was Derek Ryan to Ryan Reeves. Has nothing to do with the Oilers.

Also Reeves and Ryan are significantly better at the game of hockey then Lucic or Kassian.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #76
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
The comparison was Derek Ryan to Ryan Reeves. Has nothing to do with the Oilers.

Also Reeves and Ryan are significantly better at the game of hockey then Lucic or Kassian.
Read the quoted post right above it
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #77
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Absolutely I would have rather had Reaves.

Same age, Derek Ryan is signed for a year longer but makes about $400000 more a year. Reaves has one more point in two more games played this season. 5'11 170 vs. 6'1" 225.

The Flames would just play bigger with him in the lineup.

Really?

Let’s not ignore the fact that Ryan has become a valuable piece of our PP2 and can penalty kill when needed because of his speed.

Ryan has a career PPG of 0.43 while Reaves has a 0.13.

Reaves highest point total in his career is 13. Let’s not act like a hot 20 games (by his standards) changes the fact that he is an enforcer.

Ryan has also become a key faceoff guy for the Flames winning 52.8 of his draws while being sound defensively.

Ryan is a much more versatile and valuable player, especially in today’s NHL.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #78
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Where did I say not having Reaves was holding the Flames back? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Not sure about you but I sure didn’t enjoy seeing Tkachuk get ragdolled by Kassian last time, which in my opinion, doesn’t happen with a guy like Reaves in the lineup.

I would much rather watch fast, skilled hockey that the Flames have been treating us to this year but unfortunately sometimes you have to fight fire with fire
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #79
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not at all saying that it is reaaaaaally holding us back. I did say though that given the choice of the two, I would rather have Reaves, and I'll say it again.

And I won't lie, I would get some satisfaction out of watching Reaves, in a Flames jersey, punching the $%^& out of Kassian or Lucic.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #80
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Illegal hit that might garner a suspension.

But on the first sequence it looks like Wilson tried to blindside Reaves in retaliation.

No one deserves to get hurt but if that's the game Wilson wants to play he's going to have to accept the consequences.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote