Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2019, 03:00 AM   #1
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Default YouTube Channel Favourites

What are some of your favourite YouTube channels? And why?

Tom Scott

Amazing Places, Things You Might Not Know, TED Talks and random silly game shows. The Park Bench episode about his Arctic Expedition trip with Chris Hadfield is a great story.

Spoiler!

Justin Scarred 'Randomland Adventures'

Wacky, zany, hyperactive and fun! Adventures in Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Route 66 and more. Had the pleasure of meeting Justin in Disneyland and thank him in person for his hours of entertaining adventures.

Spoiler!

GTOger

Who knew watching vehicles getting towed could be so much fun! #Drumbeats

Spoiler!

Being The Elite

Wrestling travel vlog turned into the best wrestling promo/story show anywhere. The RAW Invasion speech by Cody was epic.

Spoiler!
The Last Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Last Jedi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Great thread! I've thought about posting one like it because I'm always looking for new channels with great content. Here are some of my favourites:

3Blue1Brown: My favourite math channel. I've learned a lot from it.

Spoiler!

All Things Comedy: There are a few funny shows but Bert Kreischer cooking with other comedians is always gold.

Spoiler!

Amoeba: Amoeba Records gets musicians, and other famous people, to show us what's in their bag. It's a great way to see what influences them.

Spoiler!

Carfection: This is what Top Gear should have become after Clarkson, Hammond, and May left.

Spoiler!

KEXP: KEXP is an amazing radio station that constantly gets great bands to come in and play sessions.

Spoiler!

quill18: quill18 does Let's Plays of strategy games, and he's a cool Canadian.

Spoiler!

Virtual Railfan: There's something zen about trains, and this channel will bring out your inner "foamer". Even if you don't like trains you'll like seeing idiots trying to deal with them.

Spoiler!
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Because I have to recharge the A/C in my car I went back to an old fav for some advice.

Chris Fix

Good car repair tips and knowledge with some fun along the way. Make sure you top up your blinker fluid!

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Last Jedi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Captain Disillusion

Extremely talented VFX artist deconstructs internet video hoaxes. Has pivoted recently into explaining VFX and video basics. High production, entertaining and informative.

Spoiler!

ContraPoints

Video essayist that brings a very thoughtful and well researched view into the dregs of internet culture, social justice, and modern issues.

Spoiler!

Mark Rober

NASA Engineer does silly experiments with a decent budget and technical knowhow. Like if Grant from Mythbusters had his own show and didn't pad out each 1 hour program with 45 minutes of filler.

Spoiler!

hbomberguy

A games reviewer/LPer turned video essayist that sometimes still does games. Hilarious, good logic, likes to take down easy targets (Paul Joseph Watson, Steven Crowder, et al).

Spoiler!

Retsupurae

Quite possibly the first LP group, often play throuhg intensely hilarious and terrible games. Sometimes stop to mock awful YouTube videos MST3K-style.

Spoiler!

TheOdd1sOut

A 22-year old aspiring math teacher creates animated videos about his life and thoughts. Geared towards a younger demo, but I find him charming and funny.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Fail Race

I don't watch much of gamers but Alex is fun to listen to and he does some wild stuff in GTA5. The Survive the Hunt series is by far my favourite as are the discussing the hunts posted after where you can see just how close/lucky things can be. Some of the GTA5 races are pure bonkers as well.

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to The Last Jedi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I follow a lot of movie stuff.

Lindsay Ellis. My YouTube crush. Doesn't make videos too often, might be in some kind of a hiatus, but her long videos are basically all well worth watching.

Spoiler!

MovieBob / Bob Chipman in general. Excellent movie critic, but also does all sorts of pop culture stuff, like general commentary on games as Game Overthinker. A great source if you want to get know more about all the comics that are possibly made into movies without actually reading All The Comics. MovieBobs Schloctobers are a great source for learning about some truly mind blowing schlock

Spoiler!

Lessons from the Screenplay. This is a channel that gets quoted in Hollywood production meetings. Fantastic source for understanding how movies are made.

Spoiler!

Patrick H Willems. Guy loves movies and has interesting stuff to say about it, most of the time. Longform.

Spoiler!

Politics/Philosophy/History

LindyBeige is a British guy who talks mostly about history and/or war. I find him entertaining and informative.

Spoiler!

ContraPoints. One of the absolutely best things on YouTube. Kind of hard to explain. She does a lot commentary on things topics related to either alt-rights or feminism, but she's both better at making interesting and relevant points than basically anyone, and also is visually more interesting than basically anyone. Takes a bit of getting used to, but well worth the effort.

NSFW!

Almost a sibling channel to that is Philosophy Tube. A British actor / philosopher, who also makes visually ambitious videos and covers extremely heated topics with a lot of nuance. A flaming leftie, but you don't have to agree with those ideas to find his points interesting.

NSFW!

His older videos are a lot more basic, drier history and philosophy stuff, but many of them are really good.

This for example is probably the best explanation of Antifa that exists in any format.

Spoiler!

I also really strongly recommend his video series on liberalism. You might not agree with everything in it, but it's still a really useful point of view to understand if you want to understand modern politics.

I also follow
Overly Sarcastic Productions (writing, mythology, tropes...)
Just Write, about writing
Knowing Better, general knowledge
Shaun, factual arguments against the far right

Oh, and Shadiversity. Medieval history and/or medieval D&D -style fantasy. Recommended if you're into that stuff.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Itse; 09-21-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

One of my recent favourites is Corridor Crew.

They're a group of filmmakers and visual artists and do some fun videos looking into how visual effects and stunts are done.

They also re-do some visual effects for scenes, such as making Home Alone violent:
Spoiler!

Finished product:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote