Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Buffy TV reboot

Josh Whedon rebooting Buffy

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/20/175972...d-monica-breen

I don't know why he would do that, it just seems like a mistake. The original Buffy Series was great TV with great character.

But his intention of putting a new actress in the role of Buffy Summers and rebooting it seems like its inviting a solid a$$ kicking by the fans.

In a universe where one girl in all the world becomes the Slayer and fights evil they could have done a continuation of the story line or a prequel.

I mean you could do a Slayer series in the old west, or in the 50's or 60's, or in the future.

I think that this is setting up to be crapped on, especially since whoever the lead actress is will be compared to Sarah Michelle Geller who did an awesome job in that role.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:07 AM   #2
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a dumb idea, and I have a feeling it's not gonna fly with the hardcore fans. They should have done this as a sequel series instead, similar to what they did with Cobra Kai.

They could easily have Sarah Michelle Geller come back just for the first couple of episodes where she's training a new apprentice, or a new team of slayers. Then she can make her exit while passing the torch to the new characters to continue the story.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd love to see it, but SMG seems to not want to do a full time schedule anymore, she does some voice over work (With an excellent turn in Rebels).

I don't know if I would want a sequel though, they seem to have solved everything by the end of the series by closing the hell mouth and activating all of the Slayers. I would think that the only problem would be LA and that's something that would have to be solved with Angel.

I just really think there's a rich universe outside of Buffy herself. They could even go back after Faith or Buffy's sister without Buffy herself

Old 07-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have some faith! Who would ever have believed that some of the best episodes of the original series could have included a Freaky Friday episode, a mostly silent episode or a musical, but they did.

As long as Joss Whedon is involved, it will be good.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Have some faith! Who would ever have believed that some of the best episodes of the original series could have included a Freaky Friday episode, a mostly silent episode or a musical, but they did.

As long as Joss Whedon is involved, it will be good.

I see what you did there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Joss wouldn't reboot Buffy as an artless cash grab, he's probably got a solid concept and a bunch of ideas for episodes in his head if he's feeling inspired to reboot the series.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really seems odd that he wants to reboot the series, when it's quite well able to support 'spin off' series.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife, a huge Buffy fan, is not impressed. She does not want to see her favourite character played by a different actor and was hoping for either a revival with SMG or a new story in the Buffyverse.

She also made the argument that you can't just change the appearance of Buffy since the character is supposed to subvert our expectations having this perky blonde cheerleader, who in most horror movies would be the first one to die, end up as the ass kicking hero. My response was that black people also die off pretty quickly in the horror genre so maybe then can make this work.

Personally it just strikes me as lazy though. Whedon has created this great universe with the potential for any number of stories about slayers and the supernatural. Why can't we explore that universe further from a fresh new perspective instead of a re-hash of something done before?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm going to take a wait and see on this one because Whedon usually surpasses expectations. But I agree with your wife's argument. Buffy's by line was basically "We save the world then we party" In the first season everyone even the main villain commented on her dress. There was a message that she's tiny and she looks like the stereotypical cheerleader, but don't get past that at your peril.

SMG was perfect for that role, and as she grew in the role and stretched out her acting ability she became a really complex character who wasn't just a killer, but a person.

I just think she's going to be the apex competitor for any character that shares her name.

Frankly after Buffy and Angel were finished there was a rumor of a Faith based series, and also a series called Ripper, which was about Giles prior to becoming a watcher. There was also a rumor of a series around Wesley, which could have been really funny before Wesley became a amazing character on his own.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read varying reports on this, so I don't know what to expect. Some have said it will be a straight reboot but others have said it will be a present-day story in the same universe as the previous show.

Since it's still in the pitch phase, they'll probably go in whichever direction the people who pick it up decide to go. Also, if they can get Geller, Hannigan, Brendon, or one of the other regulars from the original to agree to make the occasional appearance on the new show, they're much more likely to make it be a modern continuation rather than a full reboot.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I've read varying reports on this, so I don't know what to expect. Some have said it will be a straight reboot but others have said it will be a present-day story in the same universe as the previous show.

Since it's still in the pitch phase, they'll probably go in whichever direction the people who pick it up decide to go. Also, if they can get Geller, Hannigan, Brendon, or one of the other regulars from the original to agree to make the occasional appearance on the new show, they're much more likely to make it be a modern continuation rather than a full reboot.
probably not Brendon unfortunately,

Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well they could always bring in his twin brother

Brendon has been a mess for a while now.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is very, very obvious that they need to use Anthony Head for this in some recurring capacity. Everyone else was really young and is now going to look noticeably old; Anthony Head is still Anthony Head.

I agree that it's an enormous risk, though. If anyone other than Whedon did it it'd be a fail. If SMG does anything I suspect it'd be as some flashback former slayer role or some such.

I have to wonder why it's this he's re-booting, and not Firefly. Buffy ran its course and then some - I think most people would agree it should've ended around season 5. There was a lot that didn't work and it peaked in seasons 2-3. Firefly had so much more content left to explore. It's possible that he simply thought Firefly couldn't be done without the original cast, but I dunno, that would have made much more sense to me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny because as much as people talk about Buffy not being good after season 5, there were some really iconic episodes in season 5

Flooded about the basement flooding, the nerds make their villainous appearance, we find out that Buffy wasn't in hell.

Once more with feeling

Tabula Rosa- where they all forget who they were and we find out more about kitten gambling and Giles leaves

Dead Things - we see that Warren is a complete murdering creep and he tries to frame Buffy for the murder of his girlfriend

Hells Bells - The wedding episode

Normal Again - Where we wonder if Buffy is actually real or a lost girl in a mental institutional.

And frankly the whole Willow as the big bad after the death of Tara was really well done.

Season 7 I agree just wasn't very good, and they even lampooned it in the episode Story Tellers.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but this is the 90's / 2000's and the show is 20+episode seasons. Having one good run (evil Willow) and a half dozen good episodes in the entire stretch is not enough to justify those seasons' existence. The entire first three quarters of season 6 is pretty much unnecessary outside of 6x07.

Frankly, you could really have stopped the series at Season 3 and it might be better as a whole, except that there's enough good in Season 5 to make up for a generally bad Season 4, and obviously Season 5 has the best episode in the series in it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-23-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: NA
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #16
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clarification this morning from Monica Owusu-Breen (who will be the head writer/showrunner for the new series):

Old 07-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #17
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffy the Cheeto slayer?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote