Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: One Sci-Fi Franchise to Rule Them All
Star Trek 57 54.29%
Star Wars 52 49.52%
Stargate 8 7.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #21
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Gotta go with Star Treks.

It still grosses me out that Spock kissed his sister, Princess Leia.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #22
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Growing up I was way more in Star Wars, so I'd have to give an edge to it. As an adult I definitely prefer Star Trek though.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Rolling Stones.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #24
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #25
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old 07-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #26
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For me it’s Star Trek and it’s not close.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shrek Wars.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #28
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my best Jim Benning imitation ... there’s two Star thingies?

Actually for me it’s a wash, I love both and I’m glad I am able to experience both
from origin to current. I can’t choose and thank dog that I don’t have to.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #29
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll get mad when people mix up aspects of either and play it up that Star Trek is infinitely inferior. However, I enjoy both. Star Wars is my favorite. If they announced that they won't make any more Star Ttek and they're going to put the rest in a vault I wouldn't miss it. If they did the same for Star Wars you would think I was Tonya Harding'd.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #30
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Doesn't Star Wars have a lot of other shows/mini-movie type things and books than Star Trek?

Uh, no. Star Trek has six live action series totaling over 750 episodes. Star Wars has a couple short cartoons.

I would assume they are close book-wise as well. There are literally hundreds of books of both.

As for the question, it’s Trek all the way.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #31
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at it like this. Star wars is entertainment. It's a story about good vs evil and lines drawn in the sand.

Star trek was an ideal IMO. Rodenberry had a vision for humanity far into the future and explored moral and grey areas few Sci-Fi movies or shows could come close to successfully exploring. First inter-racial kiss? star trek. Impact on the development of modern technology? Star Trek.

There's a reason they're working on teleportation/tansports. Star Trek fueled the minds of many people to develop MRI machines, tri-corders (modern cell phones are almost there) etc.

I'm sure this will spur some sort of rebuttal but Star Trek impacted out lives today more than star Wars has. And for that I put trek above Star wars.

Of course this whole argument blows up once a lightsaber finally comes to fruition. Or the discovery of a force we can actually manipulate.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #32
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's always been star wars for me.

i think a huge thing for me was star wars the very first movie i ever saw at a theater (and then again at a drive in). i was only 4 but i still remember it - especially going to the drive in and watching the movie while sitting on the front bench seat of my parent's full size gmc van.
in kindergarten i dressed up for halloween as luke skywaker and my teacher took away my little card board blaster. i had a light orange star wars lunch box like this one...

STAR_WARS_8_1024x1024 by bc-chris, on Flickr

and everything in my world revolved around star wars. and then in empire when they introduced boba fett - oh baby - that was it! hook, line and sinker!

i just never got into star trek like i did with star wars
Old 07-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #33
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Firefly
2. Battlestar Galactica
3. Farscape
4. Babylon 5
5. Star Trek
6. Star Wars

The more movies and tv shows that they put out, the more they fall down the list. My order is in how excited I would be if I heard of something new coming out in each universe. There is probably a Space Above and Beyond and a Stargate in there somewhere as well. New Wars and Trek have been so hard to deal with in the last decade.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #34
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Uh, no. Star Trek has six live action series totaling over 750 episodes. Star Wars has a couple short cartoons.

I would assume they are close book-wise as well. There are literally hundreds of books of both.

As for the question, it’s Trek all the way.
Book-wise, I don't know about number but the quality of the Star Wars books is miles ahead of the Star Trek ones I've read. As CC said there are definitely both good and bad Star Wars books, but the thing that set them apart for me is the way they connected the Star Wars EU together (before throwing it all out as canon when they started making new movies).

New books built on previous books and continued the story well past the events of Return of the Jedi, creating and developing new characters as the main characters aged and developed as well.

In the Star Trek books I read, they tended to be more like added episodes for the TV show; mostly ignored by subsequent books and without a connected narrative. I did really enjoy the first few books of the New Frontier series, as it followed a new captain and crew. I'm not sure how far it continued after the ones I read, though.

The other format that I don't think I've seen mentioned in this thread yet is video games, where Star Wars blows Star Trek out of the water.

I really like both franchises, but if I had to choose one, it would be Star Wars for sure. Now if they can just get back on track with the new movies...
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #35
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back when I was a kid, I'd give the edge to Star Wars. I was in that original cohort of kids (8 years old when the first movie came out) for who Star Wars was magic.

However, over the long haul, Star Trek wins out for the breadth of its material. Sure, the quality for each of ST and SW is about 20 per cent excellent, 20 per cent decent, and 60 per cent crap. But the best of ST runs to around 100 hours of movies and TV. The best of SW is two movies. Really, that's a pretty thin reed to hang an entire franchise on.

What's interesting is how with their most recent releases, the two have converged: ST Discovery and TLJ are pretty similar and both really bad.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #36
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
1. Firefly
Yes! I'd step over my own mother for a new Firefly movie/series.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #37
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
1. Firefly
2. The Expanse
2. Battlestar Galactica
3. Farscape
4. Babylon 5
5. Star Trek
6. Star Wars

The more movies and tv shows that they put out, the more they fall down the list. My order is in how excited I would be if I heard of something new coming out in each universe. There is probably a Space Above and Beyond and a Stargate in there somewhere as well. New Wars and Trek have been so hard to deal with in the last decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yes! I'd step over my own mother for a new Firefly movie/series.
I'd recommend watching The Expanse, it's up there right beside Battlestar Galatica and almost as good as Firefly. It just finished off a near flawless critic and fan acclaimed third season. Great production values, realistic and dark storyline.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #38
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Star Wars, but ST:TNG was my favourite show as a kid. However I do enjoy the SW films more then the ST films.

But in terms of overall quality and impact on my TV viewing life, it's ST for me.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #39
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
Book-wise, I don't know about number but the quality of the Star Wars books is miles ahead of the Star Trek ones I've read. As CC said there are definitely both good and bad Star Wars books, but the thing that set them apart for me is the way they connected the Star Wars EU together (before throwing it all out as canon when they started making new movies).

New books built on previous books and continued the story well past the events of Return of the Jedi, creating and developing new characters as the main characters aged and developed as well.

In the Star Trek books I read, they tended to be more like added episodes for the TV show; mostly ignored by subsequent books and without a connected narrative. I did really enjoy the first few books of the New Frontier series, as it followed a new captain and crew. I'm not sure how far it continued after the ones I read, though.

The other format that I don't think I've seen mentioned in this thread yet is video games, where Star Wars blows Star Trek out of the water.

I really like both franchises, but if I had to choose one, it would be Star Wars for sure. Now if they can just get back on track with the new movies...
The old Trek novels are definitely more stand alone but the more modern on-going series are definitely interwoven narratives and they have big cross over events with other series. I haven’t read nearly enough of them to be up to date, but the stuff they do is pretty cool. Plus, it’s not all been officially wiped out as canon (the Trek novels are considered soft canon — it’s canon until they want to make a movie or TV show that doesn’t line up with it. Which, in the case of something like DS9, will very likely be never. Also, if you like DS9, read the novels because they’re great!)
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post

Yeah the video game format has been hugely in the favor of Star Wars. Just because the narrative works for Star Wars, with Star Trek you're tied to your ship.

One of the best Star Trek games that memorable is the 25th anniversary game which was really interactive and cool. Outside of that, they're never been able to capture Trek in Video games.

With Star Wars when you look at the Dark Forces series, the Old Republic series and even the MMO games you feel like your in a huge universe. In Star Trek you feel like your in a small universe.

(Though I did love Klingon Academy)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote