Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
andy_521
Farm Team Player

Exp:

What annoys me about this even more is that even expect you to weigh and tag your own bag at the airport, so you are pretty much paying $25 and doing their work for them.
andy_521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_521 View Post
What annoys me about this even more is that even expect you to weigh and tag your own bag at the airport, so you are pretty much paying $25 and doing their work for them.
Well they still have their TAC team that then takes the bag from the bowels of the airport to your flight, loads it underneath, and the unloads it at the destination and makes sure it gets back to you or your connecting flight.

I'm sure Ryanair is working on a way for their passengers to do this work though.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #23
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

damnit

I have a trip to Disneyland booked on westjet leaving around the 29th.

This sucks.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

The best is when they don't count a purse as a "bag" and one person fills up the bin with 2 carry ons
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #25
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I posted this in the aviation thread, but I really don't buy the "1 in 5" argument from WestJet on this one. I've never booked anything other than coach/economy, and one of the things I loved about WestJet was knowing the level of service I was getting was going to remain the same regardless of what I paid.

Let's face it, WestJet really made their mark in the industry by doing away with a lot of the industry doublespeak around "first/business/economy" amenities. They basically sold you a seat on a plane and little else, it was great.

Maybe business travellers are different, but I don't think the average Canadian booking a trip home or a vacation is typically ponying up a few extra $100's for "flex" or "plus" seating. The "1 in 5" travellers thing just doesn't hold a lot of water.

Looking forward to competing for space in the over head bins when it's -40 and everyone's got 10 pounds of coats/hats with them as well.
I think the 1 in 5 thing may be valid, simply because they are only making 20% of their seats available for econo.

I used to think there was a choice - with the higher priced fares you could change your schedule, etc; but when I booked my flight to visit family at Christmas there were no econo seats available. So they are limiting availability. That lets them say 1 in 5.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unfortunately, I feel like this is going to change the way I operate.

Hypothetically, if my wife and I are flying somewhere for the weekend (2-3 nights), we may check one bag of luggage between us. I typically only carry on maybe a book & headphones, or a small bookbag that I shove under the seat for longer trips.

Now, however, we will likely try to save that $50 by carrying on two larger carry-ons with our clothes.

Typically I'm one of the last on the plane because I don't need bin space and I hate standing and waiting for people to stow their luggage. Now, I'll have to make sure I get on early to get some bin space. What a PITA.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #27
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I think the 1 in 5 thing may be valid, simply because they are only making 20% of their seats available for econo.

I used to think there was a choice - with the higher priced fares you could change your schedule, etc; but when I booked my flight to visit family at Christmas there were no econo seats available. So they are limiting availability. That lets them say 1 in 5.
Ahh fair enough.

It's sad really, seems like WestJet is losing a lot of brand equity with this move. But I'm sure I'll forget about it in 6 months when I'm booking a flight and AC is charging the same fees.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
The best is when they don't count a purse as a "bag" and one person fills up the bin with 2 carry ons
That's because they allow one carry on and one personal item, so it's okay. The people with the full size carry on and the massive "personal" bag are the ones that really bug me.

Last week on an Air Canada flight I was on, watching someone ask a flight attendant to help them cram their heavy, over-sized bag in the overhead bin, I was wondering when they'd start being more strict about size limits. My only hope is that this change brings stricter checks on carry on luggage. You can already avoid the $25 fee by bringing your probably oversized bag as carry on and "skychecking" the bag at the gate.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's a pain in the ass for sure, but let's not kid ourselves here, at the end of the day it's still only $25. It's not that big of a deal.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #30
WCan_Kid
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
It's a pain in the ass for sure, but let's not kid ourselves here, at the end of the day it's still only $25. It's not that big of a deal.
Anything that increases the number of people trying to stuff their weeks worth of vacation clothes into the overhead is a big deal for anyone that travels light and often for business.
WCan_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WCan_Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #31
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have'nt checked in a bag in over 2-years except for a 6-week trip to Europe.

So on multiple 2-weeks trips to anywhere in the world my usual haul is a carry on and backpack.

However it does erk me that they can do this. How do they expect families to travel? Women? -Next they'll charge for seatbelts and it will be mandatory.

Last edited by terminator; 09-15-2014 at 11:53 AM.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #32
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
The first issue I have today with on board bags is the 1+1 rule. I don't think people should be able to bring a travel bag plus a "personal bag" ie - giant purse on the flight. Everyone should only get to bring one bag. This should actually be enforced. We know that the current rules, as generous as they are, aren't currently being enforced.

Who here on CP currently brings bigger bags on a plane than they are supposed to?

I've only ever brought a normal sized back pack on a plane. It sure isn't me who is contributing to this problem.
Sorry dude. They let me bring on my carry-on suitcase and my backpack. So that's what I do. This new charge makes it even more beneficial for me to do so.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #33
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
$50 on $400 round trip flight is a considerable % increase.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #34
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prediction: In a few months, WestJet will reduce the carry-on allowance to one item because of their over-crowded cabins.

Call me a cynic, but overhead bins are already packed as it is, and now there is a financial inventive to bring more on the plane with you. They'll spin it as "responding to our guests" who have complained about the clusterfata with carry-on luggage, and before you know it, most of us will have to check a bag if we're taking more than a laptop with us.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #35
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Sorry dude. They let me bring on my carry-on suitcase and my backpack. So that's what I do. This new charge makes it even more beneficial for me to do so.
Exactly. The little suitcases fit in the metal thingy. I used to take that and a laptop bag, but the overheads got too annoying so I decided to just chill and wait for my carry-on eligible but checked bag to come off of the plane. The quick exit at my destination was nice, but it got too annoying dealing with the overheads. But it wasn't annoying enough to spend $50 round-trip to avoid it, so I'll start that up again. Until my prediction above comes true.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #36
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Prediction: In a few months, WestJet will reduce the carry-on allowance to one item because of their over-crowded cabins.

Call me a cynic, but overhead bins are already packed as it is, and now there is a financial inventive to bring more on the plane with you. They'll spin it as "responding to our guests" who have complained about the clusterfata with carry-on luggage, and before you know it, most of us will have to check a bag if we're taking more than a laptop with us.
There's even more of an incentive in the sense that even if you are getting on last and the cabin is packed they will gate check your bag for free anyway. I've done that in the past and its perfect. You don't pay, but don't have to battle everyone else for bin space and you know your bag makes the flight and is going to be one of the first out.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #37
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
$50 on $400 round trip flight is a considerable % increase.
Double that for what my trip back home for Christmas will probably cost. Having to pay an extra $50 makes it sting even more.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #38
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its not a big deal when people tuck their 2nd carry on under the seat in front of them like you're supposed to.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #39
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
There's even more of an incentive in the sense that even if you are getting on last and the cabin is packed they will gate check your bag for free anyway. I've done that in the past and its perfect. You don't pay, but don't have to battle everyone else for bin space and you know your bag makes the flight and is going to be one of the first out.
Shhhh. The first rule for gate checking is that you don't talk about gate checking. Nothing to see here. Carry on, everyone.

Yes - that's an intentional pun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #40
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

You know what Westjet, just raise your fares $20 across the board, and call it a day. I have never felt I paid too much to fly Westjet, and another $40 to fly round trip isn't gonna stop me from using you. Keep it simple, that is what I have always loved about Westjet, now they are just turning into another version of Air Canada, something they vowed they wouldn't do.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: