Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #181
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I think the baggage fee model is great. The airlines were going to get the revenue anyway, but instead of burying it in the cost of the ticket they now burden the people who actually use it. Now I don't have to pay for someone to bring every shoe they own. User-pay for the win.

Combined with enforcing overhead bag sizes, I couldn't be happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Yep. I did a 6 week trip to Asia with only a small backpack and one of these

Whereas my sister in law will take 2 suitcases the size of a refrigerator for a 4 day trip to Vegas. I like being rewarded for putting thought into how I pack
Just got back from 7 days in Cabo San Lucas, here were the bags for the four of us:

I was actually quite surprised that on both flights there was LOTS of room left in the overheads. We boarded last on both (sitting in the middle) and there was always plenty of room left for our bag.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #182
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Is that one of those really expensive (but awesome!) suitcases that was posted somewhere on this forum a few months ago? Or a cheaper alternative? I'd be interested in knowing a little more about it if you don't mind. PM is fine, but I'd say it is related to airlines, baggage, etc.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #183
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Indeed it is, Rimowa. Made in Germany, I also have the carry-on size one. Love them. We need to start grabbing some stickers from places we visit and add some character to it.

The avgeek in me loves the aluminum lines, reminds me of the Ford Tri-Motor or Junkers 52.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #184
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #185
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default WestJet to charge some travellers for first checked bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Just got back from 7 days in Cabo San Lucas, here were the bags for the four of us:

Nude beach, wasn't it?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #186
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just curious for you guys that have been travelling lately. How strict have they been with the carry-on? Are the forcing you to put it into that metal thing for size? I measured my Carry-On yesturday and with the wheels it seems to be about 5 cm too tall. Has that been an issue? Would love to get away with just a carry on if possible.
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #187
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've travelled for a month is an actual carry on sized hard case bag. I also shake my head at those fools who bring those giant pieces of luggage with them for a week's holiday. Ridiculous.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #188
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I've flown over 50 segments this year, not once have I been checked.

I "tested" WJ on a flight to San Diego, and they didn't bat an eye on my questionable bag. Skipped the baggage fee, gate checked it, no problem at all.

I don't think I've EVER seen the size get enforced, and I've seen some pretty hilarious carry-ons. We're talking suitcases that aren't even CLOSE to the required limit.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #189
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I "tested" WJ on a flight to San Diego, and they didn't bat an eye on my questionable bag. Skipped the baggage fee, gate checked it, no problem at all.
So gate checking is still openly permitted? I don't need that bag with me in the cabin, but avoiding the baggage fee and carousel? That's appealing.

I suppose if I'm within my two-piece limit, they'd rather find a place for it underneath than have me trying to shove it places it won't easily go. (There's a joke in there somewhere).
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #190
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks guys. That's good to know. I am going with WJ, however I had a friend who went with AC not long after they started to clamp down on the rules and they had to check their bag even though it was sold as a carry on size. So just doing my due dilligance before hand
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #191
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Weird. I'm elite on AC, I've never been checked. I only travel with carry on; typically a clothes backpack and a hard case the size of a normal carry on. Definitely bending the rules.

Gate checking is still totally ok. All the US airlines I have been on do it as well. My carry on in this case (flight to SD) probably would have been ok, but I wanted to see if WJ had a problem with the luggage. No problem at all.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #192
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I was actually quite surprised that on both flights there was LOTS of room left in the overheads. We boarded last on both (sitting in the middle) and there was always plenty of room left for our bag.

I find when you go to holiday destinations (primarily southern sun places) that there is always room in the overhead bins. I think most people take a bigger suitcase for those trips. However every time I'm taking a trip east (i.e. Chicago) for business the bins are always full.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #193
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Family of four?

Teach me your ways.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote