Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 8 2.42%
Arnold 6 1.82%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.30%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 1 0.30%
Kanzig 1 0.30%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 180 54.55%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 88 26.67%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 3 0.91%
Morrison 3 0.91%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Rafikov 1 0.30%
Sieloff 2 0.61%
Smith 2 0.61%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 34 10.30%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Summer 2015 Prospect Ranking - Round 9

It's time.

Calgarypuck's 3rd annual Prospect Ranking Poll!

Going with the 25 and under with 65 or less games played at the NHL level which actually works pretty closely with my own rule of thumb of "anyone not too old that hasn't been penciled in".

Therefore Granlund, Ortio and Ferland are still prospects, with Jooris 5 games light of the 65 game limit.

Monahan and Gaudreau are young but clearly established and no longer prospects. Bennett may be penciled in but he's only played 12 NHL games and is a prospect.

Previous Two Editions
2014 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...highlight=poll
2013 - http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ghlight=Summer

Rankings:

1. Sam Bennett - 96% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147961)
2. Emile Poirier - 38% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147973)
3. Jon Gillies - 35% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147982)
4. Micheal Ferland - 44% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=147999)
5. Joni Ortio - 63% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148014)
6. Mark Jankowski - 38% Run off (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148037 / http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148031)
7. Brandon Hickey - 57% Run off (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148057 / http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148044)
8. Markus Granlund - 47% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148068)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Klimchuk, gonna vote Mangiapane next round. Feel a lot more confident voting for skilled two-way forwards than wildcard Dmen.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

As i understand it the story on Kylington is a defenseman with amazing up side but occasional brain farts.
Defensive gaffs from a defenseman are absolute momentum shifters and can't exist in NHL caliber defense.
So while I'm excited about the potential, until Kylington shows he's free of cerebral gastronomic infortitude, i can't vote him in the top ten.
Klimchuck gets my vote this time.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
As i understand it the story on Kylington is a defenseman with amazing up side but occasional brain farts.
Defensive gaffs from a defenseman are absolute momentum shifters and can't exist in NHL caliber defense.
So while I'm excited about the potential, until Kylington shows he's free of cerebral gastronomic infortitude, i can't vote him in the top ten.
Klimchuck gets my vote this time.
I disagree. Take Kris Letang for example. He creates a high quality scoring chance every time he is on the ice. But at least a third of the time, it is for the opposition.

I'm not saying Kylington will be Letang, but he has the skating to mitigate his defensive gaffs to some extent, and if he can create enough high end scoring chances for his own team, then he can play in the NHL.

Personally, that isn't the kind of defensemen I prefer. I'll take a Keith/Weber/Giordano type over a Letang/Karlsson type every time, but that doesn't mean he can't be an NHL player.

That said, I voted for Klimchuck too, and even agree that I think Kylington is just barely outside my personal top 10.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

at #9 and still have a first round pick and six 2nd round picks to choose from. Nice to have that depth of talent in the pipeline
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
at #9 and still have a first round pick and six 2nd round picks to choose from. Nice to have that depth of talent in the pipeline
No doubt! In past years it was almost a no brainer/easy to pick at this point.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can Klimchuk make the top 6. His prospect camp as been amazing so I'm much less sure of my no than before but still have him as bottom 6 upside.

Kylington and Anderson than klimchuk.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted for Klimchuk, but it's time for the best goalie out of the 2014 draft to get some attention. Mason McDonald is most likely playing for Canada in the World Juniors next year.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I disagree. Take Kris Letang for example. He creates a high quality scoring chance every time he is on the ice. But at least a third of the time, it is for the opposition.

I'm not saying Kylington will be Letang, but he has the skating to mitigate his defensive gaffs to some extent, and if he can create enough high end scoring chances for his own team, then he can play in the NHL.

Personally, that isn't the kind of defensemen I prefer. I'll take a Keith/Weber/Giordano type over a Letang/Karlsson type every time, but that doesn't mean he can't be an NHL player.

That said, I voted for Klimchuck too, and even agree that I think Kylington is just barely outside my personal top 10.
I'd add Subban to the list of great offensive defensemen with occasional defensive gaffs in their game. If Kylington can be a similar game breaking player, he's worth the risk.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
Journey17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I picked Kylington on the basis that he could be a game changing dman whereas I don't see that potential from Klimchuk. While he didn't progress this year as expected, I have hope that he comes to NA and turns it around. He was amazing as a 17 year old so I am voting on that potential.
Journey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post

Karlsson had a lot of lapses in his early NHL years and still has a few. So what; he produces a lot more offense than he costs Ottawa in give aways.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Voted Granlund so many times I was looking for him at first ... Klimmer for me, I look forward to his season this year and learning more about him as it progresses. I think there is a degree of excitement for me just from what I've read on here
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #14
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting that Kylington is getting a lot more votes in every round than Andersson even though the Flames rated him lower (i.e. drafted later); you'd think they would at least be close in votes
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #15
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Klimchuck has progressed as expected since being picked in the 1st round.... 80 pts in 60 games... He hasn't had a completely healthy year which is a bit of a concern..... but is liable to have him show a big level jump if he does.

Sort of like Wideman playing hurt 2013-14 and then healthy for 2014-15.

The hype and description about Kylington brings to mind another smooth skating Swede - Anders Eriksson. All the talent in the world did not make up for his game-changing mistakes.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #16
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
interesting that Kylington is getting a lot more votes in every round than Andersson even though the Flames rated him lower (i.e. drafted later); you'd think they would at least be close in votes
I think I will pick Andersson or McDonald next round. Not many are talking about him but like Kylington, Andersson has pretty high upside as well. With his flaws probably easier to fix.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm giving Hathaway some love. I thought he played well in Adirondack, and I have a high regard for the degree of motivation that he has expressed in interviews.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Klimchuk just feels like such a solid prospect to me. I think he'll end up being a perennial 20 goal guy for this team.

I pick him over Kylingtons sky high ceiling because, out of all of our prospects, I think Klimchuk has off-ice mentality most conducive to long-term success. Dudes just got such a solid head on his shoulders, and he already has the offensive and defensive skills to boot.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #19
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mason McDonald. I feel his upside isn't any lower than Ortio and Gillies although he isn't as developed.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-12-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Klimchuk.

Intersting to see that Kylington is doing so well. In my mind, this is all about current value of the prospect. I get the upside, but that is tempered by likelihood of achieving it.

If forced to trade Klimchuk today, you hopefully get at least a high second second rounder.

You trade Kylington, you are getting a third rounder based on where we was picked a few weeks ago.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote