Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Remaining NCAA Free Agents

Have spent the rainy morning going over the remaining NCAA Free Agents and thought a new thread could be used to consolidate instead of separate threads by player:

WCHA/CCHA

Ryan Walters - Junior- Nebraska-Omaha - F - returned to Nebraska-Omaha
Shayne Taker - Junior - Notre Dame - D - returned to Notre Dame
Austin Czarnik - Sophmore - Miami - F (some say he's signed with Jets) - returned to Miami
Alex Krushelnyski - Senior - F - Colorado College - erroneously listed as senior - returned to Colorado College
Kenny Morrison - Freshman - Western Michigan - D - attended Oilers prospect camp, returned to Western Michigan
Chris Casto - Sophmore - Minnesota Duluth - D - signed with Boston
Wade Epp - Junior - Northern Michigan - D - returned to Northern Michigan
Mike Boivin - Senior - Colorado College - D - invited to Wild rookie camp, playing for EC Salzburg
Mark Zengerle - Junior - Wisconsin - C - returning for his senior year
Clarke Saunders - Junior - North Dakota - G - returned to North Dakota
Steven Spinnell - Senior - Miami - D - signed AHL contract with Providence Bruins
David Makowski - Junior - Denver - D
- returned to Denver

ECAC/Hockey East:

Greg Carey - Junior - St Lawrence University - LW - has reportedly told coaches he's returning for his senior year
Eric Hartzell - Senior - Quinnipac University - G - signed with Pittsburgh
Antoine Laganiere - Senior - Yale - C - signed with Anaheim
Giancarlo Iuorio - Senior - Niagara University - F - signed 1 year contract with VIK Vestaras
Jeremy Langlois - Senior - Quinnipiac - F - signed AHL contract with Springfield Falcons
[SPat Mullane - Senior - Boston College - F [/S] - signed AHL contract with Rockford Icehogs
Trevor van Riemsdyk - Sophmore - New Hampshire - D - returned to New Hampshire
Chris McCarthy - Junior - Vermont - RW - returned to Vermont
Parker Milner - Senior - Boston College - G - signed ELC with NY Islanders
Kevin Goumas - Junior - New Hampshire - C
- returned to UNH
Andrew Miller - Senior - Yale - F - signed with Oilers

Sources:
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-the-ccha-wcha
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...gent-time.html
http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/03/...-watch-part-2/
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-be-nhl-bound/

If we can get 2 of the above players under contract with our remaining contract space I hope we do. We will have contract space with a lot of expiring deals on the Heat so no harm in rolling the dice on a couple of these guys. 14-15 guys left per attached list, let's hope Feaster scoops a couple of them up.

Last edited by The Original FFIV; 09-22-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Bored out of my mind
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be happy with just Laganiere and the guys we already have on tryouts with Abbotsford.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What about Hartzell? He looked great in the game against St. Cloud.

Great thread by the way!
The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

The players in high demand are snapped up soon after their season is over, like LeBlanc was. Only two players are still playing, everyone else has been done for sometime. I'm guessing most won't be signed until the NHL season is over so they can't burn the 1st year of their ELC

Langaniere likely signs tomorrow, or Monday
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Van Reimsdyk would be intriguing. Good size, has some offensive ability.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
plus he is from New Jersey, and we are collecting prospects from jersey now aren't we?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Hartzell could be a good 3rd option to go with next year if we have an open competition for the the goalie job.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on watching 3 measly games, Andrew Miller at Yale looks like a speedy skilled RW.

He's an undrafted senior. 5'10", 180lbs

He's been way more noticeable in these games than Laganiere
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

How about Yale's goalie Jeff Malcolm? He's been lights-out.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
The players in high demand are snapped up soon after their season is over, like LeBlanc was. Only two players are still playing, everyone else has been done for sometime. I'm guessing most won't be signed until the NHL season is over so they can't burn the 1st year of their ELC

Langaniere likely signs tomorrow, or Monday
I'm thinking that teams are lining up for Langaniere and keeping a contract spot open for him. I'm sure that other teams are up against the contract limit like us and one Langaniere signs that will spur more activity. I count 3 good players minimum that were in the final - Langlois, Hartzell and Langaniere and you could add Andrew Miller to the list as was suggested by another poster.

The Krushelnyski kid intrigues me if only for his name/pedigree. Smaller than his dad but tenacious and wins puck battles. It would be like adding grit without blowing a draft pick or trading another asset. Another tidbit is that Rylan Schwartz was only offered a NHL contract by the Sharks, surprised that there wasn't more competition for his services.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope the Flames land Langaniere, but not getting my hopes up. 6'4", good balance, great hands, seems to have pretty good hockey sense, and uses his body (though not devastating by any means). I think this guy could be a good player. Really hoping he doesn't end up in Van.

Hopefully his new agent (whomever it ends up being) notices how much youth the Flames are playing right now, and are intent on playing Hanowski right away as well.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
I thought the same. Unfortunately, he's already spent time at the Flyers development camp. I would suspect they have a strong inside track on him if they want him. Seems like a decent prospect though, could be a Derek Smith type.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver
Laganière says he'll decide within two days. Canucks and Habs are among "many suiters", he says.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Updated in first post with more sources. New additions in red.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...-20/#more-6138
http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-cont...College-FA.pdf

Last edited by The Original FFIV; 04-16-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
The Eliminator
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Pens sign Hartzell
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
The Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #16
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

14 different teams have already signed college FAs this year ... beside DET, CHI, PIT and TBL who arguably caught the big fish (DeKeyser, LeBlanc, Hartzell and Sustr), San Jose has had great success so far, signing Eriah Hayes, Rylan Schwartz and Troy Grosenick. Not bad.

I really hope we try hard to sign Laganiere. If those kids want a chance in the NHL very soon, Calgary would have to be an interesting option, no? Otherwise, I think Mullane, Krushelnyski or Langlois would be decent signings as well. Van Riemsdyk and Czarnik are intriguing, but them being sophomores makes we think they'd go back to college for another year.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgarian Branden Gracel just finished his Junior year leading UMass Amherst with 14 goals and 20 assists in 34 games. He's a centreman who is good in the faceoff dot (59.5% in 682 draws) and had a team best +7 but he's a bit small at 5-9/180. He's probably not as close on the radar as the others in this thread but I thought some people in here might be interested in hearing about him since he's a local kid. If he doesn't sign somewhere I think the Flames should have him as one of the local guys at development camp.
Stampede2TheCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah blah View Post
Calgarian Branden Gracel just finished his Junior year leading UMass Amherst with 14 goals and 20 assists in 34 games. He's a centreman who is good in the faceoff dot (59.5% in 682 draws) and had a team best +7 but he's a bit small at 5-9/180. He's probably not as close on the radar as the others in this thread but I thought some people in here might be interested in hearing about him since he's a local kid. If he doesn't sign somewhere I think the Flames should have him as one of the local guys at development camp.
I know him! I feel so special

He beefed up quite a bit since I last saw him as he was nowhere near 180.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
I know him! I feel so special

He beefed up quite a bit since I last saw him as he was nowhere near 180.

I suspect the 180 may actually be a bit generous but couldn't remember for sure so I just went off the listing. He has beefed up though and plans to work on that more this summer. (I don't know him directly BTW.)
Stampede2TheCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I really hope we try hard to sign Laganiere. If those kids want a chance in the NHL very soon, Calgary would have to be an interesting option, no? Otherwise, I think Mullane, Krushelnyski or Langlois would be decent signings as well. Van Riemsdyk and Czarnik are intriguing, but them being sophomores makes we think they'd go back to college for another year.
You'd think the Flames have already tried on many of them (we know they tried on Dekeyser) and as you noted, given the situation the Flames are in, you'd think the kids would be interested; however, that hasn't been the case.

I think not all kids are made out like Justin Schultz. I think they do look at the ability of teams to develop players and if that's the case, the Flames just aren't a very attractive place given their track record. We as Flames fans can see that there has been improvement in the development system, but it's going to take a while for non-Flames fans to notice this.