Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #41
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I haven't lived in Calgary since 1993, but there used to be a place in the plaza on Centre St. and Beddington Dr. NE. I can not remember the name, and I would doubt that it's even still there, but that was a weekend staple. I used to work at the Beddington Heights Community Centre cleaning up after functions so I'd start work at 2:00am on Saturday and Sunday mornings, (sweet paying job for 13-15 year old me, me and a buddy would "help" the guy whose job it was, which entaled him opening the door for us and paying us cash when we were done) and we'd always get an order of Ginger Beef before work.

So good. I am not sure why, but Ginger Beef there is so much different. I was in Edmonton two Christmas' ago and ordered some there and it is also the same. I have never found it like that here in Ontario.
I think I know which one you're talking about. The little shopping centre behind the Mac's and just north of the Co-op in Beddington, right?

I totally forget the name of that place you're talking about, but they went under quite a few years ago. Shanghai Classic took that location over quite a few years back after the previous owners bailed. I think there was a fire or two. Shanghai Classic's original location used be by on 4th Street NW by the Safeway.

By the airport, Shanghai Classic location isn't bad, but I believe Ginger Beef in Panorama hills mentioned by other posters by the theatre is closer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #42
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I think I know which one you're talking about. The little shopping centre behind the Mac's and just north of the Co-op in Beddington, right?

I totally forget the name of that place you're talking about, but they went under quite a few years ago. Shanghai Classic took that location over quite a few years back after the previous owners bailed. I think there was a fire or two. Shanghai Classic's original location used be by on 4th Street NW by the Safeway.

By the airport, Shanghai Classic location isn't bad, but I believe Ginger Beef in Panorama hills mentioned by other posters by the theatre is closer.
Yes that is correct. That place was so good. Too bad it went under.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #43
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't lived in Calgary since 1993, but there used to be a place in the plaza on Centre St. and Beddington Dr. NE. I can not remember the name, and I would doubt that it's even still there, but that was a weekend staple. I used to work at the Beddington Heights Community Centre cleaning up after functions so I'd start work at 2:00am on Saturday and Sunday mornings, (sweet paying job for 13-15 year old me, me and a buddy would "help" the guy whose job it was, which entaled him opening the door for us and paying us cash when we were done) and we'd always get an order of Ginger Beef before work.

So good. I am not sure why, but Ginger Beef there is so much different. I was in Edmonton two Christmas' ago and ordered some there and it is also the same. I have never found it like that here in Ontario.
Agreed. The times I have ordered it from various restaurants here, it has never been like I remember. My favourite place used to be on the corner of 4th St and 17th Ave SW (at least I think it was 17th Ave)
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #44
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had a few solid GB's around town. My family's been going to Spicy Hut on Edmonton Trail (bottom of the hill a block or so prior to Memorial) for around 16-17 years now. It's a total hole in the wall but they churn out consistently solid chow.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #45
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Bump.

Have a friend visiting from Cincinnati that used to live here with a serious craving for ginger beef. He'll be staying near the airport - any suggestions in that neck of the woods. Doesn't need to be strictly at a Chinese place.
Try Cherry Inn in the Huntington Plaza off 64th Ave NE. It's right beside the Dairy Queen there.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #46
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Quote:
Yes that is correct. That place was so good. Too bad it went under.
I think it was called Shanghai Palace? Was it flicks video or something that used to be beside it?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #47
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I've had a few solid GB's around town. My family's been going to Spicy Hut on Edmonton Trail (bottom of the hill a block or so prior to Memorial) for around 16-17 years now. It's a total hole in the wall but they churn out consistently solid chow.
And they have some awesome dumplings too!
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #48
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Has anyone actually gotten decent Ginger Beef via delivery that hasn't turned into a horrifying, soggy mess? I find I can only get good Ginger Beef when you dine in.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #49
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Try Cherry Inn in the Huntington Plaza off 64th Ave NE. It's right beside the Dairy Queen there.
This place is excellent.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #50
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss ginger beef

When we moved to Calgary in the 90s my dad went on a search for the best ginger beef in town and found Kam Han Szechuan House in Avenida. I found their sauce to be so much better than others, possible because they add a bit of that Szechuan hotness to the dish. We pretty much went there once a month growing up and I try to stop in for ginger beef ever time I am in town.

Also, of note I found any place with the words "Ginger Beef" in their name usually has horrible ginger beer.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #51
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah Kam Han was amazing back then, but doesn't seem to be now. I've tried their lunch box a few times over the past few years and it wasn't anything special.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #52
no_joke
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I think it was called Shanghai Palace? Was it flicks video or something that used to be beside it?
I never ate there but wasn't it "Chung's" for the longest time? I was at the Flicks every weekend in the early 90s.
no_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to no_joke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #53
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
This is the recipe I've used when making it at home. Does well at reproducing the Calgary Chinese takeout restaurant ginger beef.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dini...gingerbeef.htm
I finally got around to making this recipe and I definitely need to try it again with a different batter. A couple things that I really liked was that the beef was much more tender than restaurants and I made it much spicier. I didn't achieve that great crispy exterior though so I'll have to improve on that. If I can nail down the batter it will be fantastic.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #54
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Has anyone actually gotten decent Ginger Beef via delivery that hasn't turned into a horrifying, soggy mess? I find I can only get good Ginger Beef when you dine in.
Leo Fu's doesn't mix the beef and the sauce (you get two containers - one with beef, one with sauce). This allows it to remain crispy up until you start eating).

it's amazing. Highly recommend it.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #55
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_joke View Post
I never ate there but wasn't it "Chung's" for the longest time? I was at the Flicks every weekend in the early 90s.
That does sound familiar. Maybe Shanghai Palace was another place?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #56
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ho Wan is really good. It's less of the soggy type ginger beef , and more crispy and fried.

IMO they have the best salt and pepper squid in town and the ginger beef is right up there.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #57
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Not ginger beef specific but try the buffet in the basement of the Chinese Cultural Centre.

It's chronically empty in there as it's hidden away and not well known since the change from restaurant to buffet but they have lots of good food including ginger beef and also a bit of east indian food as well (rice, naan, butter chicken, etc.).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #58
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Bump.

Have a friend visiting from Cincinnati that used to live here with a serious craving for ginger beef. He'll be staying near the airport - any suggestions in that neck of the woods. Doesn't need to be strictly at a Chinese place.
As an update we ended up going to the Ginger Beef Bistro House in Country Hills, as per a few recommendations here. No complaints - solid meal and good ginger beef - sufficiently crispy and spicy.

Thanks all.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #59
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sun Island eatery has awesome ginger beef, and just all-around great Chinese food. It's probably the best I've had in Calgary.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #60
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
ginger beef at ginger beef! by the Country Hills movie theater!
http://www.gingerbeef.com/country-hills-n.html
Second this. They also have a dim sum master working there. The food is on point.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote