Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #1701
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Are you buying a Draisaitl or Kane jersey first?
Just don't do McDavid, this Gaudreau situation is exactly him in summer 2026 when he bolts. Crysaitl won't be far behind at that point
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #1702
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
That’s the go-to, hey?
Beats the go to of praising the Oilers...
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #1703
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Involved charismatic owners are the absolute worst.

The hallmark of the perennial rebuilding team.
Right? The history of sick franchises is littered with “involved” owners, from Ballard to Katz. Remember that “involved” Stamps owner who promised to bring in impact players and then suddenly his kid was the backup QB?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:36 PM   #1704
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
am i on the wrong site? wtf does this have to do with anything?
also, and this is an honest question that may sound dumb, are you an oilers fan?
No, I hate the Oilers.

But I’m also willing to look at things objectively here, I just don’t see how the Flames could realistically beat a prime McDavid and Draisaitl going forward. When they lined up together with Kane, they looked unstoppable. Kane’s been a Flame killer for a while, so him re-signing with the Oilers is not a good thing for the Flames.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:40 PM   #1705
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Going home was just an excuse not the real reason.

Something happened and he wanted to leave ASAP.
My guess is Treliving. That’s why Treliving got emotional when Johnny finally told him how much he really hated him on Tuesday

https://twitter.com/wesgilbertson/st...-TEGO8_dAdrXtw
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:40 PM   #1706
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, the things the mayor asked for (which were arguably not even moving the posts) were minimal. The actual cost escalation was already on the Flames and they grabbed the exit door.
To be clear, it wasn't the mayor who asked for these things. They were all things CSEC agreed to as part of the approval process before she was even elected.

The hiccup seemed to come from figuring out how those things would be paid for within the framework of the agreement. Because the numbers were such a small part of the overall project, most people assume this was just an excuse CSEC used to back out while trying to pass the blame to the city.

Also, the mayor didn't give CSEC an out. The out was built into the contract. Both sides had to sign off on everything before the end of 2021 or the deal would die. There wasn't anything the mayor could do once CSEC decided they weren't going to sign off.

Now, maybe Murray misplayed his hand in both these situations, thinking he had the upper hand and the other side would never allow the deals to fall apart. People have said that he doesn't like to "lose" negotiations and can be brutal when he thinks the other side has no other option but to give in. In these cases, the other sides were willing to let the deals die.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:40 PM   #1707
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Edwards is charismatic? Seems like a typical arrogant rich guy.
The guy tweeting is suggesting himself as the charismatic guy. But Edwards in person is pretty OK - normal small talk and all that. In a negotiation he can be tough. Business practices are tough. He’s a tad arrogant in that he’s often legit the sharpest guy in the room or at least the guy who’s read all the material.

Mind you, it’s been over 10 years since I dealt with him in person.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #1708
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
To be clear, it wasn't the mayor who asked for these things. They were all things CSEC agreed to as part of the approval process before she was even elected.

The hiccup seemed to come from figuring out how those things would be paid for within the framework of the agreement. Because the numbers were such a small part of the overall project, most people assume this was just an excuse CSEC used to back out while trying to pass the blame to the city.

Also, the mayor didn't give CSEC an out. The out was built into the contract. Both sides had to sign off on everything before the end of 2021 or the deal would die. There wasn't anything the mayor could do once CSEC decided they weren't going to sign off.

Now, maybe Murray misplayed his hand in both these situations, thinking he had the upper hand and the other side would never allow the deals to fall apart. People have said that he doesn't like to "lose" negotiations and can be brutal when he thinks the other side has no other option but to give in. In these cases, the other sides were willing to let the deals die.
I agree with all that. It’s not that she gave them a legal out - it was in the deal like you say. It was she gave them a PR out, or so they thought.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #1709
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone change the thread title to The Arena Deal.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #1710
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
No, I hate the Oilers.

But I’m also willing to look at things objectively here, I just don’t see how the Flames could realistically beat a prime McDavid and Draisaitl going forward. When they lined up together with Kane, they looked unstoppable. Kane’s been a Flame killer for a while, so him re-signing with the Oilers is not a good thing for the Flames.
lol. If Markstrom could have stopped a beachball we would have beat them in 4 or 5 games in the playoffs.

They still have no D. Without Goodrow we will beat them in 6 if Marky can figure it out.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #1711
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
After watching the interview, I have a feeling it was His wife and her family were the ones that decided they had to leave Calgary. I believe that Johnny wanted to stay and is now trying not to throw his wife under the bus.
If that's the case, I can't blame Gaudreau as much. He was clearly torn by his decision.

But if Gaudreau had made his intentions clearer earlier that family was greatly impacting his decision, IMO Flames ownership and management could have made the Earth move to accommodate his family.

I wouldn't care how: buy them a home and move all of the Gaudreaus to Calgary, find them work, etc.

If you're that serious about keeping a franchise player, you do everything you can to make it work despite those obstacles, and make their decision a little easier.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #1712
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Sorry if already mentioned but the CBJ fans on their board have picked up on the fact that he mentioned his wife by name numerous times in the press conference and they are thinking that Columbus was high on their family list of destinations because she is a pediatric nurse and there is a world class children's hospital in Columbus.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OILFAN #81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #1713
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Because you are being disingenuous and driving up the price for other teams. Or you just can’t give bad news to people. Or because Lewis Gross is hoping the Flames make a stupid offer than you can’t refuse, like $12M (some people here would have been happy to pay that).

The results speak for themselves. Johnny said he knew at a very early time that he wasn’t staying. But let’s say. It was after the start of the season. Why not be upfront then? Give the team time?
Yeah we’re just going to have to agree to disagree here because we’ll never know the true answer anyway. I truly believe there was a point last year in 2021, that a deal could’ve been made. That was the best chance Treliving had and that’s probably when he should’ve been the most assertive.

The odds were always going to be stacked against him if Johnny made it to the market. Family ties were always strong on the Gaudreau side.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #1714
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

If a player has a serious problem with a GM, that should be communicated via his agent and handled in a professional manner. Was the team aware of the problem? Did the player properly relay his concerns? Was it dealt with?

It makes no sense. We have heard zero about Treliving creating any kind of issues, and usually stuff like that would surface. Is it petty stupidity about his last contract? Something else? All of that falls back on Johnny.

Like it all makes zero sense. He had no indication of signing here, but led the team along till the last hour to make sure he screws them over as much as possible. He then shocked all the other teams that were involved by basically saying screw you to them as well.

Every hour that goes by I am more and more confused, and I think Johnny has really ruined his reputation here. Can't imagine that a lot of this garbage doesn't follow him along throughout the rest of his career.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:44 PM   #1715
Knut

Exp:

This thread is just a bunch of making #### up. It's embarassing.

Go outside, enjoy the beautiful weather. Forget about hockey for a week or so. Come back to it with a fresh outlook.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #1716
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
If that's the case, I can't blame Gaudreau as much. He was clearly torn by his decision.

But if Gaudreau had made his intentions clearer earlier that family was greatly impacting his decision, IMO Flames ownership and management could have made the Earth move to accommodate his family.

I wouldn't care how: buy them a home and move all of the Gaudreaus to Calgary, find them work, etc.

If you're that serious about keeping a franchise player, you do everything you can to make it work despite those obstacles, and make their decision a little easier.
Sorry, but if that is the case Johnny should have communicated this clearly to the team after the season ended and allowed them to prepare for it.

Unless he thought he could convince his wife and her family till the last minute?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #1717
TenaciousC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think it’s clear that Johnny had a couple side pieces in Calgary before Meredith moved out here and she soured on the city because of it and wanted to get him away at first opportunity
TenaciousC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TenaciousC For This Useful Post:
j_j
Old 07-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #1718
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Johnny’s videos with Columbus on TSN.

MEH. It really sucks. But it’s his right to do what he thinks is best for himself and his family. He earned that right.

Up to the Flames to be prepared for that decision I guess. Definitely will not be fixed via UFAs at this point. Might not be able to be replaced.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:47 PM   #1719
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousC View Post
I think it’s clear that Johnny had a couple side pieces in Calgary before Meredith moved out here and she soured on the city because of it and wanted to get him away at first opportunity
Get this Oilers #### out of here.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:48 PM   #1720
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Sorry if already mentioned but the CBJ fans on their board have picked up on the fact that he mentioned his wife by name numerous times in the press conference and they are thinking that Columbus was high on their family list of destinations because she is a pediatric nurse and there is a world class children's hospital in Columbus.
Wouldn't be the first time. Trouba specifically wanted to go to NYR because of his wife's career opportunity.

Quote:
"It's a great opportunity for myself and my fiancée" because "her career is as important as my career."

He isn't ungrateful for his time in Winnipeg, but the truth is, it is a lot easier on his personal life to play for an American team.

"Fans think of things in a different aspect -- that's just the nature of sports," Trouba said. "It's about winning a championship. It's not about caring about people's lives, really."
Worth the read because Trouba and his wife are very up front and honest about a potentially similar situation.
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...heir-ambitions
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:

Tags
incels outing themselves