Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Ivrnet

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #4861
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Anyone pick up a OnePlus 5 yet?
https://oneplus.net/ca_en/5
I picked one up on the day of the announcement. It arrived two days later, so I've been playing with it for a week now. I'm coming from a Nexus 5, and the improvement is night and day. There are many complaints from other users if you search online, but I've been very happy:
  • Speed is outstanding. Everything is fast, fluid, and lag free.
  • Screen is bright and clear. I don't have the "jelly scrolling" issues some users are seeing.
  • Camera is miles better than what I had. Was able to take pictures with the bokeh effect and they look great. Camera shooting speed is very fast too. Haven't tried low-light pictures, and have heard that's one area where the OP5 camera isn't as good.
  • I got the 6gb/64gb version, which is plenty of ram/storage for me (my Nexus 5 had only 16gb storage).
  • Fingerprint scanner is basically instant. No delay to open the phone.
  • There have been 3.5 OS updates released since I got the phone (3 full, 1 patch). You could see this as a sign of half-baked software, or that OnePlus is trying hard to rectify issues fast, depending on your point of view.
  • Main issue I've experienced is that I am on Freedom, and this phone supports Freedom's LTE spectrum. However, it has trouble staying connected to LTE, and once it drops to 3G, it won't go back until you explicitly set it. OnePlus' latest patch fixed a similar issue with LTE in the Netherlands. Hoping a similar patch will fix the issues with Freedom, though the issue might be on Freedom's end as their LTE network is very new.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #4862
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Rumor is Android Pay didn't launch because TD and RBC insisting on keeping their own gimped platforms. Scotiabank had it working as early as last November. Google just eventually decided to launch without them.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/02/wh...nts-in-canada/
Yup. Which is strange because CIBC has been working on their own thing for a while now too, and they were onboard with Android Pay as soon as it launched.

It is amazing how incapable some of those big players are at seeing the bigger picture.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #4863
cral12
Powerplay Quarterback
 
cral12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I picked one up on the day of the announcement. It arrived two days later, so I've been playing with it for a week now. I'm coming from a Nexus 5, and the improvement is night and day. There are many complaints from other users if you search online, but I've been very happy:
  • Speed is outstanding. Everything is fast, fluid, and lag free.
  • Screen is bright and clear. I don't have the "jelly scrolling" issues some users are seeing.
  • Camera is miles better than what I had. Was able to take pictures with the bokeh effect and they look great. Camera shooting speed is very fast too. Haven't tried low-light pictures, and have heard that's one area where the OP5 camera isn't as good.
  • I got the 6gb/64gb version, which is plenty of ram/storage for me (my Nexus 5 had only 16gb storage).
  • Fingerprint scanner is basically instant. No delay to open the phone.
  • There have been 3.5 OS updates released since I got the phone (3 full, 1 patch). You could see this as a sign of half-baked software, or that OnePlus is trying hard to rectify issues fast, depending on your point of view.
  • Main issue I've experienced is that I am on Freedom, and this phone supports Freedom's LTE spectrum. However, it has trouble staying connected to LTE, and once it drops to 3G, it won't go back until you explicitly set it. OnePlus' latest patch fixed a similar issue with LTE in the Netherlands. Hoping a similar patch will fix the issues with Freedom, though the issue might be on Freedom's end as their LTE network is very new.
Awesome. I am in the exact situation. Have a Nexus 5 and with Freedom. Be great to get an update from. I'm planning on getting a new Android phone in next month or so and this one right up there as potential candidate.
__________________
My latest project:
Schralp
Explore Outdoors
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #4864
RW99
First Line Centre
 
RW99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 202 203 208 216 217 219 221 222 225 313 317 Heritage Classic G
Exp:
Default

Good thing I held off buying the OnePlus 5... https://www.xda-developers.com/confi...lly-scrolling/

Guess I'll have to wait to see how this plays out. I dont want to pay another $250 for a Pixel.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #4865
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Good thing I held off buying the OnePlus 5... https://www.xda-developers.com/confi...lly-scrolling/

Guess I'll have to wait to see how this plays out. I dont want to pay another $250 for a Pixel.
I've been following that story with interest. Before the stories came out I didn't know what jelly scrolling was. I've seen the videos and I definitely don't see it on my phone.

Even if I did see it, I don't think I'd be upset. It only seems to happen when scrolling at certain speeds (not fast) , and noticeable when scrolling up and down in rapid succession. I rarely do that - I'm either scrolling g really slow, or really fast, and only in one direction. Plus, I paid a few hundred less than for a similarly equipped phone, and it is one of the few phones that recognizes Freedom's band 66.

That said, check out Huawei's P10 or Nokia's upcoming 9. There are some nice phones coming out.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #4866
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Just following up with the OnePlus 5 on Freedom LTE issue:

It looks like freedom mobile is acknowledging that the 1+5 won't switch to LTE automatically on their network. From a post on Reddit:


Quote:
Hello r/freedommobile. We have recently received a communication from corporate regarding BYOP compatability and LTE.

"Customers should be advised that devices not purchased from Freedom Mobile offer no guarantee of device compatibility with Freedom Mobiles network."

The communication mentions only devices sold by us have the required software for Fast return and Idle return to LTE when switching between LTE and 3g even if they have the required band.

For example they say the Oneplus5 and Moto G 5 Plus are confirmed to not work on our LTE network.

Freedom is currently working with OEMs to make more non Freedom devices compatible.
At best, this means Freedom is working with OnePlus to add proper support? At worst, LTE will have to be manually enabled whenever you want it, which is a pain.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #4867
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

New Pixel 2 XL pictures leak. Looks fantastic. Hopefully there are enough display panels there won't be a problem with supply this time.



http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07...eezable-frame/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #4868
GoinAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

Wicked. I've been putting off getting a new phone until these are released.

Although that article made me a bit nervous. Sounds like they are putting most of the work into the XL and keeping the smaller version more "entry level".
GoinAllTheWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #4869
DoubleK
First Line Centre
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Anyone playing around with Android O preview?

I'm finding the battery life is even worse than N.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #4870
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Red Deer
Exp:
Default

Wanted to love the Pixel, but the small freezes, how easy it was to burn in the screen, and how fragile it was drove me back to my Nexus 6P. But, will likely try the Pixel 2, that looks awesome
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #4871
Galakanokis
First Line Centre
 
Galakanokis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sadly not in the Dome.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Anyone playing around with Android O preview?

I'm finding the battery life is even worse than N.
That battery life on my 6P is so bad now it doesn't matter what version I use. I have already charged it once today and I am at 50% again only a few hours later. That's with now SIM, I moved back to a Note 3 because it will at least last the day on a single charge.

I ordered a battery off of amazon so I will see what a new one does to this thing. I am leaning One+ or an older Note for my next phone if this new battery doesn't get me another year.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 12:10 AM   #4872
DoubleK
First Line Centre
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

It's a shame how the batteries have fallen off the cliff. It's such a nice phone.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 05:51 AM   #4873
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player
 
EldrickOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Exp:
Default

I had a new battery installed in my 6p.
It's definitely better, but still no good.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #4874
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Stupid thing is modern cell phone Li-Ions are only last about a year average at peak capacity and then will crater after that due to anode collapse and electrolytic contamination (Li-Ion usually last six months to two years depending on number of charge cycles). Throw in software updates that negatively affect battery life and it's crap.

I really wish most flagships still had removable batteries that could be easily changed out. Either that or they really accelerate solid state glass electrolyte batteries that don't have the cycle lifespan problems our current batteries have. That's at least 5-10 years out though.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #4875
Galakanokis
First Line Centre
 
Galakanokis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sadly not in the Dome.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I had a new battery installed in my 6p.
It's definitely better, but still no good.
If I can get a year out this phone I will be happy as I will get an upgrade through work then. The only decent deals they offer are on iphones though. The cost of the S7 is still $400 where an iphone 7 is only $150.

I like the 6P but I think it is a little too big and a little too heavy. The Note 3 is smaller, thinner, lighter and has a slightly bigger screen. Now running 7.1.2 and it is pretty smooth and quick even for an old quad core.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #4876
DoubleK
First Line Centre
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

I was thinking of going OnePlus for my next phone, but until they sort out Freedom LTE it's a nonstarter for me.

Can't justify going to Samsung as, I can't stand TouchWiz.

Guess the only real option is to see if Freedom is going to offer the Pixel 2.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #4877
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I was thinking of going OnePlus for my next phone, but until they sort out Freedom LTE it's a nonstarter for me.

Can't justify going to Samsung as, I can't stand TouchWiz.

Guess the only real option is to see if Freedom is going to offer the Pixel 2.
You can always install third party launchers like Nova launcher or even the pixel launcher to get around most of touchwiz features.

I'm holding out for the Pixel 2 XL. Oneplus 5's lack of band 13 on the 700Mhz Freedom LTE expansion is a killer for me regardless of the current band 66 problems they have right now.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #4878
Galakanokis
First Line Centre
 
Galakanokis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sadly not in the Dome.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I was thinking of going OnePlus for my next phone, but until they sort out Freedom LTE it's a nonstarter for me.

Can't justify going to Samsung as, I can't stand TouchWiz.

Guess the only real option is to see if Freedom is going to offer the Pixel 2.
I don't mind TouchWiz as much as I mind all of the extra crap Samsung puts on their phones. I don't need a Google and a Samsung service for everything. I get that they do it as they sell phones to markets that do not have Google but some sort of switch or easy way to disable one or the other would be great.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #4879
Resurrection
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

I really hope the wave of the future isn`t phones with no physical home button. i looked at the s8+ and found it to be way too big. not just that, ####ing samsung decided to add a side button for bixby? jesus. no thanks.

sticking with my S7 for now.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #4880
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
New Pixel 2 XL pictures leak. Looks fantastic. Hopefully there are enough display panels there won't be a problem with supply this time.



http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07...eezable-frame/
Like the physical design? All phones look exactly the same. The manufacturers have taken all the fun out of looking for a new phone now. I'm still waiting for somebody to make a flagship flip phone, so it's half the size in my pocket.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016