Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #201
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We've had more than our fair share of tough draws and quit your whinging, Spurs get to host Real Madrid and Dortmund at Wembley....and APOEL Nicosia...which I am unfamiliar with.
until they shock the world
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
until they shock the world
Put it this way: If APOEL Nicosia make it into the Europa league at Tottenham's expense the Spurs officials might find that the locks have been unexpectedly changed at Wembley...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #203
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be some extreme bottling.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #204
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might as well start making our picks.

Group A: Benfica -2, Manchester United -1, Basel, CSKA Moscow
Group B: Bayern Munich - 2, Paris Saint-Germain - 1, Anderlecht, Celtic
Group C: Chelsea - 2, Atletico Madrid - 1, Roma, Quarabag
Group D: Juventus - 2, Barcelona - 1, Olympiakos, Sporting Lisbon
Group E: Spartak Moscow, Sevilla - 1, Liverpool - 2, Maribor
Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City -2 , Napoli - 1, Feyenoord
Group G: Monaco - 1, Porto, Besiktas, RB Leipzig - 2
Group H: Real Madrid - 1, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham - 2, Apoel

Personally think it will be a big year for the English Teams in Europe with 5 of them getting out of the group stages, and Tottenham being the biggest surprise in their group. Dortmund will likely be without Dembele after his transfer, Reus will miss most of the group stages injured, and Gotze still isn't a sure thing after having metabolism issues to end last year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-24-2017 at 11:15 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #205
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was kinda hoping United got the team from Azerbaijan. Mkhitaryan would be banned from playing since he's Armenian.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #206
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

APOEL have made a QF before , in 2012!

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That would be some extreme bottling.
Look...I dont really tend to have anything against Spurs, they're not really our rivals and I like the way they play.

But thats not the same as saying that I dont find their tradition for fairly constant, consistent and persistent failure highly amusing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #208
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look...I dont really tend to have anything against Spurs, they're not really our rivals and I like the way they play.

But thats not the same as saying that I dont find their tradition for fairly constant, consistent and persistent failure highly amusing.
Keep talking. It will make that impending defeat at Maribor so much more amusing!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #209
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Keep talking. It will make that impending defeat at Maribor so much more amusing!
I might just buy tickets for APOEL's glorious European night at Wembley!

You probably couldnt even point out Nicosia on a map!

Old 08-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #210
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I might just buy tickets for APOEL's glorious European night at Wembley!

You probably couldnt even point out Nicosia on a map!
I know its Cyprus...but yeah, that's about it. I know where Dortmund and Madrid are though! Let's face the facts though; Spurs had an easy group last year and it got them nowhere.

Fans who bought the CL package for Spurs are in for a treat though. Both the Real and Dortmund games at Wembley should be incredible. And while there are some who are going to disagree, Spurs aren't going to get played off the pitch. I'm not suggesting that they'll work either of those clubs, but they're a good club and getting a result isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. If they beat the Cypriots, get a draw on the road at Dortmund and somehow win at home they're through. Hopefully that is Dortmund less Dembele and Spurs rise to the occasion.

I'm mostly excited though. I think that some of the ambitious young players have to be pumped to play. Sucks that Dele will miss 3 games, and that looks terrible at this point, but nothing can be done now.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #211
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know its Cyprus...but yeah, that's about it. I know where Dortmund and Madrid are though! Let's face the facts though; Spurs had an easy group last year and it got them nowhere.

Fans who bought the CL package for Spurs are in for a treat though. Both the Real and Dortmund games at Wembley should be incredible. And while there are some who are going to disagree, Spurs aren't going to get played off the pitch. I'm not suggesting that they'll work either of those clubs, but they're a good club and getting a result isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. If they beat the Cypriots, get a draw on the road at Dortmund and somehow win at home they're through. Hopefully that is Dortmund less Dembele and Spurs rise to the occasion.

I'm mostly excited though. I think that some of the ambitious young players have to be pumped to play. Sucks that Dele will miss 3 games, and that looks terrible at this point, but nothing can be done now.
I think for the most part I agree with you.

Spurs and Liverpool have similar problems, we beat the big teams and then fall against lesser opposition.

The fact of the matter is that this is the Champion's League and if you expect to make any noise in the CL you have to be willing and able to take on all comers.

I guess my only concern with Liverpool is that I dont believe we did enough to address our weaknesses which are our defence, our consistency and our depth.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #212
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Group A: Benfica, Manchester United, Basel, CSKA Moscow
Group B: Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Anderlecht, Celtic
Group C: Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Roma, Quarabag
Group D: Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiakos, Sporting Lisbon
Group E: Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, Liverpool, Maribor
Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Napoli, Feyenoord
Group G: Monaco, Porto, Besiktas, RB Leipzig
Group H: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, Apoel

green winners, blue runner up
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #213
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

you guys are too optimistic about Spurs. I'm fully expecting an Arsenal vs. Spurs Europa League final.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #214
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
you guys are too optimistic about Spurs. I'm fully expecting an Arsenal vs. Spurs Europa League final.
In all honesty the Gunners look pretty bad at this point. I don't think that is me being too biased as a rival supporter, but a narrow 4-3 victory over Leicester and then a loss to Stoke isn't a great way to start the campaign. Throw in some Thursday games in outer Mongolia (or wherever) and it might be a long year for them.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #215
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In all honesty the Gunners look pretty bad at this point. I don't think that is me being too biased as a rival supporter, but a narrow 4-3 victory over Leicester and then a loss to Stoke isn't a great way to start the campaign. Throw in some Thursday games in outer Mongolia (or wherever) and it might be a long year for them.
You make them sound dreary....

Old 08-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #216
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You make them sound dreary....
I do actually like Europa League, but the games seem like a complete inconvenience. The teams are from who knows where, and a lot of the pitches and stadiums seem pretty terrible. I'm just saying that from what I have seen on TV, so naturally it loses something, but the conditions could be better. And then you have these games every Thursday to lead into the weekend, which just has to cause issues for fitness and fatigue.

I really do think that United winning Europa last year was a big deal because its clearly not an easy road considering those factors.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do actually like Europa League, but the games seem like a complete inconvenience. The teams are from who knows where, and a lot of the pitches and stadiums seem pretty terrible. I'm just saying that from what I have seen on TV, so naturally it loses something, but the conditions could be better. And then you have these games every Thursday to lead into the weekend, which just has to cause issues for fitness and fatigue.

I really do think that United winning Europa last year was a big deal because its clearly not an easy road considering those factors.
Its not an easy road by any means, and I was someone who was pissed with Brendan Rodgers for consistently under-achieving in it, but United did exactly what they should have done (and what I admonished Rodgers for not doing) and they paid attention to the Europa League and back-doored their way into the Champion's League.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #218
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it will be interesting to see how Wenger approaches the Europa League. The current PL guarantees that two good teams (or three, if you count Everton) will miss the top 4 every year, so the EL "back-door" might become more tempting than in recent years. Mourinho was smart in that regard, no idea if Wenger takes a similar approach. If he does, I'm sure he'll change his "the EL winner doesn't deserve a CL ticket" stance instantly.

http://www.squawka.com/news/wenger-c...ication/977778
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #219
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
it will be interesting to see how Wenger approaches the Europa League. The current PL guarantees that two good teams (or three, if you count Everton) will miss the top 4 every year, so the EL "back-door" might become more tempting than in recent years. Mourinho was smart in that regard, no idea if Wenger takes a similar approach. If he does, I'm sure he'll change his "the EL winner doesn't deserve a CL ticket" stance instantly.

http://www.squawka.com/news/wenger-c...ication/977778
Which is absolutely ridiculous, of course the EL winner deserves a CL spot. I think most fans were advocating for that from the beginning.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #220
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta be one of the best first goals for a new club ever (and an F- for the announcer)