Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Where to find Nintendo classic mini?

They seem to be sold out everywhere. Anyone know a place that has them? The resale market on kijiji is like a 400% markup.

This was my all time favorite system and I really want one.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unfortunately, patience and lots of it. They are proving extremely difficult to find. EBGames seems to be getting a few per location per week, but since they are coming in such small quantities, they are gone right away.

Best Buy posts on their forum about an hour before they get a restock online, which then sells out within aminute hah
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd try ebgames. Have had a couple friends get one there. They trickle in small quantities.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Nabber
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been searching around for one of these also, haven't put much effort but yeah anywhere you look they're sold out. Even if they do get stock in it's usually a big promotion or personally I bet workers let friends/family know about it.

Urban Outfitters apparently had an online sale of them yesterday that sold out in seconds, there's a thread about how people thought it was a scam: http://hothardware.com/news/urban-ou...d-traffic-grab

I was in a couple ebgames yesterday, asked both of them and they said they won't get any stock until after Christmas. One of the managers actually got into detail about it, said they've only been given a limited amount since they began selling, like 3 or so every other week. Actually mentioned how they got 3 yesterday and sold them so quickly that there was an incident in the store.

I'd try Toy R us, Walmart, or Bestbuy as the best options. Toy R us was promoting that they were getting a shipment a few days ago.
Nabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's what I miss about working at EB Games. Open up the box, see something exceedingly hard to find "annnnnd this one's for me!".
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've tried to post a few times when I see them or know they're going up online. But I'd start with this:

http://www.nowinstock.net/ca/videoga...esclassicmini/

BestBuy have also given a heads up beforehand in this thread:

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Video-G...160842/page/56

Other sites like neogaf or redflagdeals will have threads with updates or news.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nintendo is dropping the ball so badly. It's December, it's stupid on their part that these aren't readily available.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually think this will be the best selling system of all time. It's unbelievable how many people I know that want this. They are going to sell like pancakes especially at $80 Canadian and $60 American I believe.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

and a ton of dust gathering consoles..haha
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

My g/f wants one for Christmas. Man I'd love to pull it off but I've been everywhere and no luck. If anyone finds them, buy 2!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
My g/f wants one for Christmas. Man I'd love to pull it off but I've been everywhere and no luck. If anyone finds them, buy 2!
Most places only allow you to buy 1.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #12
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I actually think this will be the best selling system of all time. .
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #13
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Played it tonight at a friends and love it. So much good memories. Only complaint is when playing Mario the buttons don't react as fast as I'd like when you're holding down B to run fast and then jump. A lot of times it doesn't jump in time.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #14
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tip to anyone trying to buy online- have your account already logged in and possibly even credit card details saved. For walmart and best buy at least, the item is not yours until you submit order.... just having the NES in your cart doesn't mean anything if you are fumbling around creating an account or typing in credit card details. Looks like they are gone within minutes (seconds even) of becoming available and down to who actually submit order fastest.

As far as the complaints about Nintendo not having enough supply and poorly managing this release... come on people. Whether they anticipated this or not, Nintendo is ecstatic at the demand outcry and certainly isn't going to do anything as stupid as release more than enough consoles for everyone.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I actually think this will be the best selling system of all time. It's unbelievable how many people I know that want this. They are going to sell like pancakes especially at $80 Canadian and $60 American I believe.
They won't even produce 100 million of them, let alone sell that many. As much as I like the little thing, it is a one-trick pony that sells for one reason: nostalgia. And there is a finite supply of that, which makes NOA's decision to try and create a Christmas hype bubble just stupid. This is the kind of device that most potential customers will impulse buy. By deliberately not producing enough, Nintendo is going to lose some of that money to PS4 and XBox games.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

There's lots of alternatives on the market to this though. Are people just buying it because it's an official product?

It's basically a Nintendo emulator running on a mobile ARM CPU. This is no different than any other emulation system. Testing by gamers have shown some input lag and it is not perfect.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #17
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nintendo is more of a traditional toy company, with their Furby/Tickle Me Elmo artificial scarcity tactics, than a modern video game manufacturer. didn't they pull the same stunt with their amiibos?

by trickling out only a few NES's a week to even giant retailers, the only people who win this Christmas season (other than lucky legitimate buyers) are the scalpers and eBay, which is more than happy to take a cut of the racket.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #18
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was lucky enough to get one, and its fantastic. As for Nintendo capitalizing on nostalgia; well, yeah, that's what everyone wants from them. I've been saying for a long time that they should release a little apple tv style box that allows access to their old back catalogue as it would sell way better than any system they release trying to compete with Xbox or Sony. This system isn't quite that, but its at least on that path somewhat (more of a toy in its current format).

As for their supply strategy (or lack thereof), its ridiculous. Doesn't even seem like they have shipped many of these. Everyone knew demand would be sky high after they announced it. Not sure why its better for them to create that demand and not actually sell all those units.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 12-08-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #19
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully they'll remake the SNES with how popular the NES is.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #20
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also got one, and it's great for what it is. It's also handy how compact it is, and it will be great to bring in the trailer for those wet weekends since you don't need an internet connection.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote