Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #221
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't bother reading the rest of this story but...

" The toughest part for Guy was where he would play. He was a centre in junior and everybody thought he’d replace Beliveau, and, of course, nobody could,” said Bowman.

“We had him at centre but he couldn’t do faceoffs. The league was full of good guys there. Bobby Clarke, (Jean) Ratelle, and Boston would come into the Forum with Phil Esposito and their powerhouse in 1971 and Lafleur couldn’t get a faceoff,” said Bowman."

http://edmontonjournal.com/storyline...o-guy-lafleurs

“We decided to put Lafleur on the wing.”
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #222
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Don't bother reading the rest of this story but...

" The toughest part for Guy was where he would play. He was a centre in junior and everybody thought he’d replace Beliveau, and, of course, nobody could,” said Bowman.

We had him at centre but he couldn’t do faceoffs. The league was full of good guys there. Bobby Clarke, (Jean) Ratelle, and Boston would come into the Forum with Phil Esposito and their powerhouse in 1971 and Lafleur couldn’t get a faceoff,” said Bowman."

http://edmontonjournal.com/storyline...o-guy-lafleurs

“We decided to put Lafleur on the wing.”
Through 6 games, Sam Bennett is our best centre in the faceoff circle. He's also the youngest centre we have - but those who are running away with their misguided "Bennett is not a good centre because he lacks hockey IQ" or whatever seem to overlook that quite happily.

Bennett developing into a strong face-off performer would be a huge asset for the team.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #223
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
One thing about the Scheifele comparison, while I understand there is something there, he did IMPROVE every year leading to the elite player he is today. Bennett took a step back in his second season imo and needs to show improvement this year otherwise people might actually have a point. Still think his best chance is playing the wing with either of the top two lines, along with getting PP time.
Development and growth aren't always linear. Especially when you're moving a player around positions. Brent Burns is an interesting case as he got switched around from F to D in junior and the NHL. His goal totals were 1, 4, 7, 15, 8, 3, 17, 11, 9, 22, 17, 27, 29. At the age Bennett is now Burns had a career high of 16 points. He's scored 75 points twice now in his career.

Bennett played a chunk of his first year on LW with less responsibility with Backlund and Frolik. One of our strongest duos. I believe that was one of the best offensive stretches of his young career. Last year he was put at centre full time and asked to carry a line with weakish wingers for a lot of the year. His offensive totals didn't grow but arguably his overall game did. Points aren't the only measure of success in the NHL.

That said I do agree with you that Bennett needs to show something this year. But you can tell who lacks patience when you've got bold declarations a few games into this season that he won't ever be this or that, he has no hockey sense and the other silly things that have been mentioned in this thread.

I think Bennett is a bit of a victim of expectations. Fans think the highest pick in Calgary Flames history must develop quickly. But it doesn't always work that way. Because fans had huge expectations that have not yet been met they feel the need to exaggerate his failure I guess. His development has not been quick like Monahan and Tkachuk's were. But guess what? That doesn't mean he won't be a great player long term. It may just take him a while. Scouts don't pick players just based on who will peak the fastest. They are trying to pick the best player 5-6 years down the line.

Some other top 5 picks that weren't instant stars but turned out just fine? Chris Pronger. The Sedins were 30 point players until 4 years post-draft. Scott Hartnell didn't hit near the 20 goal, 50 point mark til 5 years post draft. Mikko Koivu (6th overall) didn't hit 50+ points til 5 years post draft. Ladd didn't become a near 50 point player til 4 years post draft. Wheeler didn't even make the NHL til 4 years post draft. Turris's first good year was 4 years post draft.

We are now 3 years since Sam Bennett's draft. There's still time for him to turn out just fine. Yeah we all wished he developed faster but again, he missed almost an entire year due to shoulder surgery. Some don't seem to be taking that into account. It's basically delayed his development by a whole year. Plenty of examples of star players who took longer to develop than he has and didn't even have his injury concerns.

So yeah, the writing off of his top 6 potential is very premature still.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 10-16-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #224
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
If Bennett is moved to the wing on the top line why would he even see that as a demotion? He has a much better chance of getting a much bigger contract playing on a line with Johnny and Monahan. If I was him I would rather be a top line winger than a 3rd line center.

Putting Bennett on the top line and leaving him there for a year or two for a look and see might give the Flames a dominate top line. In the past we have had to balance scoring throughout the lineup but now that we have a strong second line Jankowski might just be the answer to the 3rd line. Bennett is probably suited to the top line duties while Ferland, Lazar might be a perfect fit for the 3rd line. Jankowski, Ferland and Lazar can score goals and be a commanding 3rd line.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #225
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Through 6 games, Sam Bennett is our best centre in the faceoff circle. He's also the youngest centre we have - but those who are running away with their misguided "Bennett is not a good centre because he lacks hockey IQ" or whatever seem to overlook that quite happily.

Bennett developing into a strong face-off performer would be a huge asset for the team.
My point wasn't really about faceoffs. Just that one of the greatest wingers in the game was slated to be a centre.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #226
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Not going to quote all of FDW’s post for the sake of readability of the thread but generally I agree. Bennett is far from being complete developmentally, but do you not think with the current position the team is in with Jankowski and the way Bennett has performed thus far that a trial at wing would be a good idea? That is what the thread was actually about before getting derailed a bit. Fact is, to me anyway, if the team intends on retaining Backlund (as they should) that someone is going to have to go to the wing. Jankowski isn’t a 4th line grinder talent. He’s hopefully going to be too good for the third line
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #227
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where did Bennett play during that 4 goal game VS the panthers?? I haven't seen anything like that in Bennett in 2 years.

As a fan, I'm all for trying something different like putting him on the wing in the top 6.

However, I'm fine if the coaching staff are a bit more patient, and give it till the 15-20 game mark if he continues to not be able to generate any offence. I realize that the flames are in their win window but I would like to see them be more urgent in putting Bennett in a position to succeed offensively. Top pp minutes, playing with other players that are doing well.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #228
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Where did Bennett play during that 4 goal game VS the panthers?? I haven't seen anything like that in Bennett in 2 years.

As a fan, I'm all for trying something different like putting him on the wing in the top 6.

However, I'm fine if the coaching staff are a bit more patient, and give it till the 15-20 game mark if he continues to not be able to generate any offence. I realize that the flames are in their win window but I would like to see them be more urgent in putting Bennett in a position to succeed offensively. Top pp minutes, playing with other players that are doing well.
He played on Backlunds wing for his 4 goal game.

In his rookie season Sam played with Backs, Frolik, Gio and Brodie as his most frequent linemates.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #229
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if or when Bennett will get his scoring touch. If he's kept at centre, he may just anchor a great checking line, which is or would be a valuable team contribution.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #230
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The most encouraging thing about Bennett is how well suited his game is for playoff hockey. Last year as well as in 2015 vs VAN/ANA, he was arguably our best forward even strength.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #231
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
He played on Backlunds wing for his 4 goal game.

In his rookie season Sam played with Backs, Frolik, Gio and Brodie as his most frequent linemates.
Maybe it should be tried again.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #232
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly thought Tkachuk looked great on the top line for the little bit of time he was on it last game. Obviously you don't want Mony and Johnny in scrums with Tkachuk but putting Bennett on the Backlund line may be a smart idea. Who knows what they are going to do but if Bennett's production doesn't pick up they will be forced into doing something.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #233
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I don't know if or when Bennett will get his scoring touch. If he's kept at centre, he may just anchor a great checking line, which is or would be a valuable team contribution.
And a tremendous disappointment for a 4th overall pick.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #234
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
And a tremendous disappointment for a 4th overall pick.
Me, I value our checkers.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #235
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Me, I value our checkers.
He's a checker, I guess, but I'd take Backlund over almost everyone from the fourth pick down in his year. He wouldn't have been a waste of a fourth.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #236
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Kent Wilson spends some time answering a bunch of Sam Bennett questions from this week's mailbag.

https://theathletic.com/129995/2017/...nett-concerns/

Here is his take on W vs C for Sam.
Quote:
“Help” Bennett might be kinder than “fix” this early, but shifting him to the wing is something I've suggested more than once over the last twelve months. It's probably the only way to give Bennett truly high-end linemates and might be worth a look soon-ish, especially with Ferland struggling and Jankowski tearing up the AHL.

Calgary's decision makers may desperately want Bennett to become an effective pivot, but in the end what matters is what works for the player. It's probably too early to completely abandon the “Bennett at centre” notion, but at some point it only makes sense to try other things if he continues to struggle.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #237
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have to say, I’ve been very disappointed with Sam Bennett so far this season, I thought for sure this summer he’d work on a lot things that could help him become a better center, but it looks like nothing has changed. He’s still struggling to exit out of his own zone, he’s still not using his teammates when transitioning up the ice, his line doesn’t seem to create many scoring chances 😊unless Jagr is on it controlling the cycle and he’s still taking tons of dumb, undisciplined stick penalties that landed him in the press box last season.

Unless his game picks up tenfold, I just don’t see how the team can continue to play him at center. He’s lucky the team is winng right now because if we were 2-4, which we could easily be, I could see Gulutzen benching or scratching him for the boneheaded penalties. Jankowski is scorching the AHL right now I don’t see how he can be denied a position on this team at this point. They really need to think about moving Bennett to wing and inserting Jankowski at center, he deserved it when he played well enough to win a spot out of camp and he deserves one even more so now with his start in Stockton.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #238
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

great posting
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #239
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to complain too much with a 4-2 start, but it continues to baffle me that Freddie Hamilton is still soaking up a roster spot, Bennett isn't even being tried in that revolving door of wingers with Johnny and Mony, and Jankowski has done just about everything he can do to show he needs to be on the NHL team.

Just some really stupifying roster choices going on where alternatives haven't even been explored, all because the organization seems hellbent on developing Bennett as a centre when it's clearly not working for him.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 10-19-2017 at 03:46 PM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #240
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went to the Jankowski thread and Bennett was being talked about.

Come to the Bennett thread and Jankowski is being talked about.

Good thing I'm not new here or that would be confusing.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post: