Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #6621
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't know what the oilers have to negotiate with on the contract.

Collie McDoggie did everything that could have been asked of him.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #6622
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I just don't know what the oilers have to negotiate with on the contract.

Collie McDoggie did everything that could have been asked of him.
It's as others in this thread have suggested. Camp Connor will receive any type of contract they want. If they want a long-term deal where he gives up money to be on a contender, they get it. If they want max dollar at any length, they get it. The issue for Oilers is how many people in the room does Connor listen to.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #6623
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Orr McDavid's agent?

I'm not sure what his track record is like as an agent, but hopefully he's a hard ass and not a card carrying member of the NHL's old boys club, chumming around with Gretz, Nicholson and Chiarelli and the like.

I'd certainly feel better about the odds of McDavid bending the oilers over if he had an agent like Winter or someone like that.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #6624
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like McDavid is going to go the 5 year route which buys a single year of free agency. Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Malkin all went this way.

The Oilers risk losing him at 25/26 but also would be in position to sign him for 8 years for his 26-34 years which should be his absolute prime.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #6625
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Isn't Orr McDavid's agent?

I'm not sure what his track record is like as an agent, but hopefully he's a hard ass and not a card carrying member of the NHL's old boys club, chumming around with Gretz, Nicholson and Chiarelli and the like.

I'd certainly feel better about the odds of McDavid bending the oilers over if he had an agent like Winter or someone like that.
I believe the main reason Orr became an agent was to ensure that his clients don't get exploited by their agents the way he was exploited by Alan Eagleson.

Orr is also Ekblad's agent and his second contract definitely wasn't "team friendly". Last year Ekblad signed for 8 years @ $7.5 million after only two seasons and with the Calder Trophy as his only NHL award.

Right now (pending any new contracts signed this summer), Ekblad's contract for next season will see him be the 4th-highest paid defenceman in the League, with the 7th-highest cap hit. He's at least five years younger than every other top-paid defenceman. Of the 31 defencemen with cap hits of at least $5.5 million for next season, Ekblad and Hamilton are the only ones under 25 (and Ekblad's cap hit is almost $2 million higher than Dougie's).
Old 05-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #6626
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
*snip*
Excellent post, and in my mind, anyway, cements McDavid's 2nd contract salary range somewhere between $12.5M and $14.5M. There is just no reason for him to sign for less, unless he truly loves that team/city so much that he is willing to sacrifice millions annually to give them a better shot at contending, trusting that Chiarelli would put those saved millions in the right place.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #6627
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Orr hockey group is definitely player first, and Connor is going to put all of their grandkids in new houses.

They also have Taylor Hall as a client and he didn't take a home town deal from Edmonton.

The Staal brothers and Cam Ward and they really didn't take team friendly deals.

Plekanec and Sharpe didn't sign team friendly deals.

Plus the Orr group is like a who'se who of agents

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #6628
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Sounds like McDavid is going to go the 5 year route which buys a single year of free agency. Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Malkin all went this way.

The Oilers risk losing him at 25/26 but also would be in position to sign him for 8 years for his 26-34 years which should be his absolute prime.
A players prime is normally in their early 20's. By 26 most players are already on their declines.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #6629
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I hope McJesus doesn't take any discount to "help" the Coilers. The ONLY reason he is there is because of their mismanagement. he owes them nothing and needs to look after his best interest and not Daryl Katz.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #6630
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
I hope McJesus doesn't take any discount to "help" the Coilers. The ONLY reason he is there is because of their mismanagement. he owes them nothing and needs to look after his best interest and not Daryl Katz.
I don't believe there is any such thing as a "discount" insofar as NHL contracts are concerned. In the last decade's history of UFA/RFA negotiations we see a fairly well-worn pattern of players signing in the expected range of market value, regardless of whether they have extended with their current team or moved to a new organisation. Posters can point to a number of deals in which players might have left a few hundred-thousand dollars on the table as signs of "hometown-" or "competitive ensuring-discounts," but I believe that these figures tend to be largely negligible. As far as I can recall Alex Burrows might be the only player to have signed a bonafide "hometown discount" in 2009 when he extended with the Vancouver Canucks for around HALF of his probable open-market value, in a transparent effort to ensure that the Canucks remained competitive.

All this to say that McDavid will not come in under the Oilers' cap for anything more or less than $500,000 on the projections that getbak has forwarded. I expect something as high as $14.0 m, or as low as $12.0 m depending on the term. Anything under $12.0 m is likely an Oilers fan-pipe dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 05-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #6631
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, one thing we can all agree on is that McDavid isnt going to have to take a discount for a No Trade Clause.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #6632
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
A players prime is normally in their early 20's. By 26 most players are already on their declines.
To be fair, that doesn't usually apply to elite players.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #6633
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I actually think that applies to elite players more than regular players.

Guys like Crosby and Ovechkin scored the most they will ever score in their early twenties.

I think non-elite players are more likely to peak offensively in their late twenties as it takes them longer to work up the depth chart.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #6634
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think even for elite players it does apply.
take any 25 elite players in the last 25 years and I would say the vast majority of them begin to decline in their mid to late 20's.

they sure as heck are not hitting their primes in that time frame. continuing to play great hockey, but not ascending to their apex.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #6635
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How much money does Katz make off the McDavid name on a yearly basis? There is no way he's going to let him go without paying top dollar. McD will call his $$ and term and Katz will be flush in all of the ripped jeans and pre relic'ed work boots that he can handle.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #6636
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ohhh my gawd please let this happen:

http://www.theoilersrig.com/2017/05/...nis-wideman-2/
Old 05-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #6637
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Ohhh my gawd please let this happen:

http://www.theoilersrig.com/2017/05/...nis-wideman-2/
That would be so awesome! If you think the Oilers whine now about the refs!
The Following User Says Thank You to Realistic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #6638
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That would be so awesome! If you think the Oilers whine now about the refs!
Love how the article kicks off by suggesting that DW would make some sort of difference against anahiem! He was right here you guys we could have traded him to you. It does explain why Calgary had no luck against the Ducks....
Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #6639
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part of Calgary Puck is I can read a bunch about McDavids contract that literally no one on the internet, tv, or print talks about. Its great!

I had a liquid lunch today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #6640
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Only to fans' perspectives because their salaries are now higher, and they 'are what they are'.

Absolutely true for point production, but not for overall player quality and contribution to team winning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread