Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #6561
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Not to mention things can change in 5 years (6 with the last year on this deal). He goes from 20 to 26, gets established in Edmonton and then chooses to stay.

Kind of like the Gaudreau contract at 6 years, I don't sweat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maybe he settles down with an Edmonton girl but otherwise not likely to happen. More than a few eastern based teams will be setting up their salary cap situations to offer him a max deal when he's UFA and I simply don't see the best player in the game choosing to play his entire career in Edmonton. If you were born in Calgary and drafted by say the Sabres would you spend your entire career there if you had 30 other options including some world class cities closer to home? Not likely.
No offense to Edmonton, whom I did defend as a city in this thread, but if you were a 20 year old kid with a 100 million dollar contract would you really spend your time year around there?!

Edmonton is just the place you have to go for 6 months of the year... if you have cash like these guys do, you'd be spending the majority of your off season somewhere other than Edmonton.

That's not a slight either: i doubt many, if any of the Flames spend the entirely of their off season in Calgary, unless they are from Western Canada... Like iggy had a huge summer house in Kelowna i believe...

I'd guess that McDavid goes back to Ontario during the summers while under contract by the Oilers...
Old 05-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #6562
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
While I agree McDavid is not a "generational" player yet, it may be a disservice by putting him in same category as these guys, all of whom may end up great. Two years in the league, McDavid has an Art Ross which he won handily, about to win the Hart and got to 2nd round of playoffs. Those guys not close to that.

McDavid doesn't need to improve to be "generational". Those guys, to varying extents, all do.

Putting the Oilers hate aside, he has been phenomenal.
In the case of Laine and Matthews we don't yet know what their second seasons look like though
Old 05-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #6563
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All-time all star team anyone? Everyone on the team should be considered a generational talent. A poll would be fun but not sure how to format it. Will post my all-time, all-star, generation roster once I figure out who's all on it. Lol
Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #6564
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
What about the Rocket? Before my time but seems like he defined the game for a period of time.
He could be, I've always been a bit iffy on him, maybe because I didn't watch him play, but he was tough, he controlled play, from talking to my dad he wasn't a great playmaker, but he was a pure sniper.

But I will say that the first generational player was Howie Morenz

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #6565
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If I was going to list my generational players

Goaltenders Hasek, Sawchuk
Defense Orr, Lidstrom, Eddie Shore
Forwards, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Howe, Morenz

HM McDavid (Just because not yet), Jagr, Beliveau,

Could have been but health Lindros

To me its a combination of offense, defense, leadership, game impact, consistency. the players in my list except for the goalies had strong all around games, were game changes, were incredibly consistent and in some way changed the game, oh and longivity and toughness outside of fighting.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 05-19-2017 at 09:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #6566
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
In the case of Laine and Matthews we don't yet know what their second seasons look like though
Well yeah, that's my point. They haven't done what he's done yet. Same as McDavid hasn't done what great players before him have and so he's not in their category yet.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #6567
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If I was going to list my generational players

Goaltenders Hasek, Sawchuk
Defense Orr, Lidstrom, Eddie Shore
Forwards, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Howe, Morenz

HM McDavid (Just because not yet), Jagr, Beliveau,

Could have been but health Lindros

To me its a combination of offense, defense, leadership, game impact, consistency. the players in my list except for the goalies had strong all around games, were game changes, were incredibly consistent and in some way changed the game, oh and longivity and toughness outside of fighting.
Bobby Hull, Espo and Lafleur would be on my HM list. All with multiple Harts and Art Ross. And Richard like I said before.

The Islanders dynasty doesn't get the credit it deserves - maybe Potvin for a defenseman.

McDavid doesn't belong anywhere on a list like this yet. Maybe Messier should be somewhere in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #6568
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Edmonton has lots of easy hot Ukrainian chicks, they need to market this to players.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clarkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #6569
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Bobby Hull, Espo and Lafleur would be on my HM list. All with multiple Harts and Art Ross. And Richard like I said before.

The Islanders dynasty doesn't get the credit it deserves - maybe Potvin for a defenseman.

McDavid doesn't belong anywhere on a list like this yet. Maybe Messier should be somewhere in it.
Yeah, I thought about those guys and a few others and I came back to that completeness factor. As someone who got to watch Bobby Hull in Winnipeg and my Dad became the coolest dad ever when he set up a meeting between a young me and Bobby and I walked out with two of his sticks with the monstrous Banana curve and an inability to talk. However I never thought of him as generational because he was lacking in a few key areas. The Flower was great, but he lacked a compete level on a lot of nights and he didn't have a strong physical game. Espo made up for a lot of areas that he lacked with his peerless compete level and a ruthless streak a mile wide, but he wasn't a great skater and he really wasn't what I would have called an offensive driver.

I loved Potvin, and his book is a must read. He was one of the smartest players to ever lace em up, he had everything a genuine mean streak, a high compete level, offensive skills a big shot. He could run a power play and kill a penalty. But I don't think he had a game changing impact on the game and that's part of my criteria.

Messier, again all world skill, great leadership, a genuine mean streak and he was offensively and defensively sound, but as a total package, he was just behind what I would call generational.

I tend to think that we're too willing to label players as generational, but to me generational means that in some way they change not only the game, but they force a coach to come up with something entirely new to counter them.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #6570
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've always said that if you were going to design a hockey player from scratch, you'd come up with Eric Lindros.

Something something Edmonton is no good.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #6571
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

came to the thread looking for more e=ng.

left disappointed.

if you want to discuss off topic items, can you please go to the jankowski thread?

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #6572
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been to Edmonton once and the hotel I stayed in had a pool right opposite reception. Literally right there. People walking round wet in swimwear. It stank of chlorine. Also saw some sweatpants while I was checking out; he didn't have good shoes on though.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #6573
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Reading the delusional oiler fans on the oiler forum it is becoming quite entertaining with them actually believing that McJesus is going to take less than market value on his next contract. When he does Edmonton will be able to attract other talent and build a winning team that will win a "number of cups" over the next few years, it is quite comical!

Last edited by Realistic; 05-23-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #6574
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
I've always said that if you were going to design a hockey player from scratch, you'd come up with Eric Lindros.

Something something Edmonton is no good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #6575
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
I've been to Edmonton once and the hotel I stayed in had a pool right opposite reception. Literally right there. People walking round wet in swimwear. It stank of chlorine. Also saw some sweatpants while I was checking out; he didn't have good shoes on though.
Wouldn't everyone other than the staff at the hotel not be from Edmonton?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #6576
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
Reading the delusional oiler fans on the oiler forum it is becoming quite entertaining with them actually believing that McJesus is going to take less than market value on his next contract. When he does Edmonton will be able to attract other talent and build a winning team that will win a "number of cups" over the next few years, it is quite comical!
Yeah. They seem to think they will sign Draisaitl for $7.5 million and McDavid will take a discount and sign for $10 million a season. McDavid doesn't have to settle for anything less than league max because he knows in a year he will field likely one or more offer sheets for max salary contracts.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #6577
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Wouldn't everyone other than the staff at the hotel not be from Edmonton?
Sweatpants was picking buddy up from the hotel, and it wasn't that people we're using the pool, just it's utterly no good placement.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #6578
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assumed the guy in sweatpants was the manager.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #6579
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I assumed the guy in sweatpants was the manager.
I had assumed that he owned a hockey team and was there helping to make movies.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #6580
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah. They seem to think they will sign Draisaitl for $7.5 million and McDavid will take a discount and sign for $10 million a season. McDavid doesn't have to settle for anything less than league max because he knows in a year he will field likely one or more offer sheets for max salary contracts.
That's why Chiapet has it as his priority to sign McJesus to a new contract ahead of Leon Draisaitl who is will be an RFA July 1.

Speaking of Draisaitl, and the year he had, what do you think he will sign for? I expect his agent to push for $8 million and I really hope he gets it! Add that to McJesus's probably $12 and Lucia $6 the Coilers will be in real trouble being competitive after next season.

And please, nobody take Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins off of the Coilers hands!
Closed Thread