Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #6381
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like this new norm of Oiler fans posting in the pre pre season. Give us peace at least until after Klondike Days.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #6382
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
...schrewed...

AlbertaOiler72 did not quite have the grades to get into Trump University, but graduated with honours from Bovine University.

Edmonton is no good, and Oilers fans are the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #6383
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
cool, so MacT Lowe, and Tambellini deserve all the credit for turning the Oilers around...I mean, they drafted Nuge, Eberle, Draisaitl, Klefbom and Nurse...

all that idiot Chia did was bring in a real #1 goalie, a legit top 3 defenseman, a steal in Maroon on a value contract, Kassian who brings grit and offense and schrewed UFA college guys like Benning and Caggulia on cheap contracts that contribute right away and only getting better...

fire him
Hinterland Who's Who 🎶🎶

Behold the irrational mind of the Edmonton Oiler fan. The Oiler fan lives in the hinterland of both the internet & western civilization collecting irrelevant fallacies and unsubstantiated claims to support their delusional arguments about the status of the Oiler organization.

Driven by a deep seeded insecurity the Oiler fan retreats to their groupthinking cohort while at all costs, avoiding anything within the realm of critical thought.

Fuelled by an inferiority complexity, the Oiler fan builds a nest of both revisionist history & future domination utilizing a bottomless supply of best case scenarios. The Oiler fan has also been know to raid the habitat of alternate fanbases spouting the prophecy of blowhardness and their delusional reality.

While strutting & calling loud & proud about team greatness anywhere an audience can be found, secret preparations are simultaneously made to retreat back under bridges, tressels, & other troll habitat in the eventual collapse of the team fortunes.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #6384
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow. Judging by the way this thread is going, it is going to be a LONG off-season!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #6385
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oiler fans are a sad bunch, insecure and an inferiority complex and they're just bad people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #6386
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
AlbertaOiler72 did not quite have the grades to get into Trump University, but graduated with honours from Bovine University.

Come on now textcritic, aspiring to graduate from Bovine University is a perfectly cromulent goal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #6387
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Wow. Judging by the way this thread is going, it is going to be a LONG off-season!
A the typical oiler season has been late from June from the draft to around the end of November. So much easier to take in five month doses.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #6388
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
See that is the thing.

If your average Oiler fan just said "Holy Poop, we were a hot mess until we got lucky and fell a$$backwards into McDavid", I could accept it. But the majority of Oilers fans I know talk like this team was built through hard work, when in actuality the opposite is true.
Well they did chop water and carry wood

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #6389
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
You don't see those threads on Oilers boards because they're all up in other people's boards either trolling or trying to spread this gospel that everyone should be kneeling and in awe of how great their team is, or how trashy the Flames are. In threads where it has nothing to do with it.

To add to the fact, if you try the level of trolling AO72 does here on any other forum, thread is immediately erased and the ban hammer is swift. They can sure dish it but can't stand any mud slinging their way. Insecure.

Quote:
cool, so MacT Lowe, and Tambellini deserve all the credit for turning the Oilers around...I mean, they drafted Nuge, Eberle, Draisaitl, Klefbom and Nurse...

all that idiot Chia did was bring in a real #1 goalie, a legit top 3 defenseman, a steal in Maroon on a value contract, Kassian who brings grit and offense and schrewed UFA college guys like Benning and Caggulia on cheap contracts that contribute right away and only getting better...

Okay 1st, drafting Nuge is a feather in their cap? When they could've had Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schiefle, Dougie Hamilton, etc. but nope Tenderness all the way. Good move. Eberle was a good pick in the 20's but his current contract is an albatross. Draisaitl and Klefbom were solid picks. Nurse is terrible. Could've had Ristolainen on D.

Now for Chia. Talbot = very good. Larsson = meh. Maroon was a good pickup but this season was a major outlier based on past results. McDavid effect in full swing. Guys like Benning and Cagguila are dime a dozen players. Nothing special there.

Charelli is a middle of the pack GM at best.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #6390
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nugent-Hopkins is a good player, a streaky player who is slight in stature but has great positioning and will eventually be a high level second line player. The 2011 draft wasn't a great draft and it always was a debate between Landeskog and Nugent-Hopkins and I still think that it is one that could still go either way, with neither player really separating themselves well from the pack.

Maroon has been able to be an effective player on the top line, you can say that is the McDavid effect of bouncing goals in off his ass, but at the end of the day he is a big body who is able to get the greasy goals from 3 feet in, so there needs to be credit given for that. Much like Bouma and his 16 goal season, it is important to look at the statistical abnormalities of the season and not to overpay for that year. Without McDavid he is likely a 10-13 goal a year player, with McDavid he is a 25-30 goal a year player. Still a decent pickup though.

Hall for Larsson is a trade that the Oilers lost by looking at the players alone, but for the previous year people here were calling him a dumb player (derp, banana tweet, etc) and then as soon as he is traded, he somehow turned into a franchise player. Larsson is more valuable to a winning team than Hall is, who I think has been ruined by the Oilers and seems to play like losing is not only acceptable but almost expected.

Benning and Caggulia are both good young players on an NHL roster at 22 years old. Maybe this is their peak potential but I think that letting them develop a little bit further before passing judgement would be a good idea. To give context they are the same age as Jankowski and I think most would agree that he is not a dime a dozen player, despite having barely an NHL game to his name. If Brandon Hickey were to play a role in the NHL in two years time, similar to Benning, I think most would consider that a massive success. They seem to have been able to find lost gold to fill out the gaps in their drafting which has plagued them for the past 20+ years. Good teams are able to find those depth players on cheap, entry level contacts so that they can afford to spend money on their higher end talent.

I agree and think that Nurse is overrated in Edmonton he will likely be a good second pairing defenseman similar to Bieksa, good, but not what you want from a #7 overall pick, especially with what was left on the board at the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #6391
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Cows with guns?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #6392
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Sekera is out 6-9 months with torn ACL injury. Puts him back into the Oilers line up around December at the earliest.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #6393
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sekera is out 6-9 months with torn ACL injury. Puts him back into the Oilers line up around December at the earliest.
Ouch no playoffs for the Oilers next season. They don't have the depth.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #6394
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, a nice little bit of cap relief to start the season. With the news that the priority is to get McDavid a new contract before Draisaitl, the cap looking ahead will be nice to see how they can fit $20 million for two guys on the team while drafting like complete garbage for the past 2 decades. At least Chicago has had competent scouts.

Edmonton is no good.

Last edited by Since1984; 05-16-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #6395
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really cap relief unless they are very close to the cap so they can maximize the LTIR. Could make it so they are more likely to have overages again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #6396
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
At least for Oiler fans he is of the age to rehab and adjust to his reconstructed knee

Seriously though, if you sign the two biggest contracts 2 years in a row on July 1, just asking for trouble.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #6397
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a great injury for a 30 year old player. Even once he's healed it usually takes year before the athlete is where they were prior to injury if he ever gets back to 100% of the player he was. I imagine this will be good news for Russell's agent as the Oilers now need him more than he needs them.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #6398
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone think it was really weird that Chiarelli referred to McDavid as "Mr. McDavid" in his press conference today?

also

Darren Dreger‏ @DarrenDreger
Jesse Puljujarvi a healthy scratch for Finland...again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #6399
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Did anyone think it was really weird that Chiarelli referred to McDavid as "Mr. McDavid" in his press conference today?
Considering that McDavid basically got Chiarelli the job… no.

After all, it wasn't until the McDavid lottery that the Oilers finally got serious and canned the previous regime, opening the way for Chiarelli to be hired.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #6400
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

There seems to be a RNH vs. Eberle debate in Edmonton right now. Once they square up with McDavid one of these two will have to go. I actually think RNH could be on the way out. He still carries some name brand recognition and I wonder if that will make teams think they can rehabilitate him. I see him as too much of a tweener to be much of a top 6 center. He's not strong enough or good enough away from the puck like a Backlund. He doesn't bring enough offensively to account for that difference. I used to think he could be an okay second line pivot, but now I'm convinced that's just not going to happen. With the other two guys they have who can play up the middle, the Oilers should try and trade the name brand third line center for a lower cost guy who'll be able to do the same thing in that role. Hopefully they pull another Yakupov here.

It really is something just how much Oiler fans over rated these guys. Last year many scoffed at the idea of RNH for Seth Jones. Today, Nashville wouldn't even give you Ekholm for either of these guys let alone a Jones caliber asset. I think the Oilers get to hold these grenades until they explode.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread