Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Single Family Attached (duplexes)

Curious to know what others think -- we were touring some open houses on the weekend and there were a half dozen recent/new duplexes on the market within a relatively small area. We didn't bother looking at all of them since they all seemed the same (or at least similar) in terms of layout, some with more expensive finishing than others.

Are duplexes as popular as the supply would suggest they are? Or is it just a function of builders/developers trying to maximize inner city location (i.e. $$$)?

Other than the small lot size/backyard, sharing a wall, and dealing with shared renovations if/when they occur (i.e. roof/exterior), are there other downsides to owing a duplex? What about re-sale, especially in the $500k+ price range?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Are there a lot of them available because they aren't selling? Myself, looking at duplexes a while ago I was surprised at how close they were in price to single family. Saving less than 10% in the suburbs wasn't worth the potential hassles.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The big reason to do is that it makes a much more liveable house.

If you have a 50 foot lot and you need 3 ft on each edge and 3ft between the houses you are down to 20ft wide houses. Sharing a wall that goes up to 22ft. And with narrow houses every bit counts.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The big reason to do is that it makes a much more liveable house.

If you have a 50 foot lot and you need 3 ft on each edge and 3ft between the houses you are down to 20ft wide houses. Sharing a wall that goes up to 22ft. And with narrow houses every bit counts.
4' on each side in most areas, if I'm not mistaken. So 2 detached homes are each on a 25' lot, but with 8' in sideyards, you're down to a 17' wide home.
A duplex will allow you to have an overall width of 42', so 21' per side... that's an extra 4' in width which makes a big difference.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd put serious thought into the back lane and the backyard/garage setup.

Is the back lane paved? If it's un-paved how will it be for snow removal if you park in your garage? I don't think the city goes back there to clear it but you'd have to check. Also if it's un-paved how will it be in the spring when the snow melts, or when we get the annual June downpours? Will it be one big sloppy muddy mess back there?

Do the neighbors have crap all in the back lane? I would hate that.

I always though a detached garage with a back lanes are a pretty big security risk for theft and B&E's. Motion sensing lights or a security system along with pretty solid fencing would be a must, I think!
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post: