Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #1041
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I think a lot of teams are reluctant to sign Kaepernick because I don't think he's done enough to dispel the rumors that he's just not that committed to Football. Ever since he took the starting gig in San Francisco he stagnated....why is that? Sure the coaching and talent around him evaporated, but does he put in the same time in the film room that others do? I don't personally know...but a lot of NFL insiders have said they think he's more concerned with his brand and his sneaker collection than he is with being a better football player.

The truly great QB's like Brady and Peyton Manning put in a lot of work in the film room. They live football. Same with Brees and Rogers. Russel Wilson who came in when Kaepernick did also puts in a lot of work towards improving himself. Even mediocre guys, or players that fans think suck like Alex Smith and Andy Dalton, still are very committed.

I think this sort of thing is critically important to NFL coaches when they are selecting people who will lead their team. Jamarcus Russel had huge talent...poor leadership and commitment to football. Michael Vick earned a second chance in the NFL at one point in his life against a lot of backlash.

He led them to a Superbowl and the following year to a 12-4 record and a conference final.

This is casual racism and it's levied against every black QB. "He doesn't read the playbook" "he's too committed to his brand" "he's a bad teammate".

####, it's even levied against Evander Kane and PK Subban. It's all coded but it's there.

Because he doesn't LOOK and ACT like a traditional (i.e. white) quaterback he must not be committed. I'ts bull####.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #1042
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mariota is playing tonight so fire up the Jack Daniels because the Titans are going to push around the Colts and like the Flames end the streak. I'm predicting Demarco over 100 yards rushing, and Colts to struggle moving the ball on offence. All the Titans have to do is cover T.Y Hilton (Easier said than done). Plus this is the first MNF in Nashville in seems like forever so the crowd will be into it early on.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #1043
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He was a flash in the pan QB that had a great defence behind him. I give the defence a tonne of credit for the success of those two years. And once defences adjusted to Kaepernick he became average at best and lost his starting gig. I thought the minute he signed that contract it was a bad idea, he was not a quality QB.

I can agree with what McCoy says. I know he shoots his mouth off but I think there is a grain of truth to what he says. Does Kaepernick offer enough to a winning team to make the distraction he will bring worth it? In my opinion, no.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #1044
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
He was a flash in the pan QB that had a great defence behind him. I give the defence a tonne of credit for the success of those two years. And once defences adjusted to Kaepernick he became average at best and lost his starting gig. I thought the minute he signed that contract it was a bad idea, he was not a quality QB.

I can agree with what McCoy says. I know he shoots his mouth off but I think there is a grain of truth to what he says. Does Kaepernick offer enough to a winning team to make the distraction he will bring worth it? In my opinion, no.
If Wentz went down, I'd rather have Kaepernick at the helm than Foles.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #1045
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
He led them to a Superbowl and the following year to a 12-4 record and a conference final.

This is casual racism and it's levied against every black QB. "He doesn't read the playbook" "he's too committed to his brand" "he's a bad teammate".

####, it's even levied against Evander Kane and PK Subban. It's all coded but it's there.

Because he doesn't LOOK and ACT like a traditional (i.e. white) quaterback he must not be committed. I'ts bull####.
So much so that they signed him to 6 year deal worth up to $126 million, including $54 million in potential guarantees, and $13 million fully guaranteed. Yet his play diminished to the extent they were going to cut him if he didn't opt out. So they went from a 6 year deal to cutting him because of casual racism or because his play slipped?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #1046
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If Wentz went down, I'd rather have Kaepernick at the helm than Foles.
I am torn on that one, I am not sure he would really help you win more than Foles when the system is designed for throwing which, and be honest, Kaepernick is not a great thrower. I am a firm believer that a pocket passer that can read defenses and move linebackers and safties with his eyes will win more than a mobile, run first QB. Just my preference and opinion.

I guess there is the issue. Is Kaepernick a better QB than some or most current backup QBs? Debatable but let's say yes. Now, is he actually a better backup QB? Two different questions. Why do these questions not come up with regards to RGIII? I think he is better than Kaepernick.

Honestly, as much as I dislike Kapernick, and no, I don't give two ####s about his political views or activism, I think he should be on a NFL roster strictly speaking from a talent perspective. Do I believe there is collusion or what not? No.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #1047
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Man, some of you really gulp down the Kool-Aid.

Racism is real, it happens every day around you, and when it is subtle it is at its worst. A guy who operates within the Machine, stands up against it, and he is promptly dismantled - partly to diminish his credibility, but largely to dissuade any others from trying to use their money and prestige to do likewise.

I mentioned it earlier this year, and others have covered it - but I would really like to see Kaepernick in the CFL - you know - diversity lives here.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #1048
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Aaron Rodgers requires surgery...done for the year.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #1049
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could only imagine how much of a blow out this game would be if Luck was playing. Titans D needs to do something Brissett is carving them up
Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #1050
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mariota is the most beautiful man I've ever seen
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #1051
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

About time the Titans beat the Colts. Was getting a little worried after the first half when Brissett was picking our D apart. Glad to see they played better in the 2nd half, but ya like Nadal Fan said if that was Luck playing then its probably 12 straight losses. Now we get the Browns and then a bye. Just please don't be that team to lose first to the Browns. Especially cuz one of my best friends is a Browns fans, don't need him having that over me.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #1052
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
About time the Titans beat the Colts. Was getting a little worried after the first half when Brissett was picking our D apart. Glad to see they played better in the 2nd half, but ya like Nadal Fan said if that was Luck playing then its probably 12 straight losses. Now we get the Browns and then a bye. Just please don't be that team to lose first to the Browns. Especially cuz one of my best friends is a Browns fans, don't need him having that over me.
It would be so Titans of them to go into Cleveland after a huge win and lose to the worst team in the NFL. Just like yesterday they get a TD to go up by 3 and the next play a 60 yard return by the Colts

This offence can be something special once Davis, Murray and Mariotta all get healthy. I know they are only 3-3 but there #1 QB,WR,HB have all missed time due to injury. If they can beat the Browns then come out of their bye-week fully healthy I like there chances to win the division.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #1053
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya it sucks that Mariota had to miss that game against the Dolphins. We win that game easily if he plays. Then would be 4-2 for a chance to go 5-2 into the bye and alone in first place.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #1054
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

dp

Last edited by transplant99; 10-18-2017 at 09:36 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #1055
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Another drastic change...

New England Patriots +$450 (9 to 2)
Kansas City Chiefs +$700 (7 to 1)
Pittsburgh Steelers +$800 (8 to 1)
Philadelphia Eagles +$1,000 (10 to 1)
Seattle Seahawks +$1,000 (10 to 1)
Atlanta Falcons +$1,800 (18 to 1)
Minnesota Vikings +$2,000 (20 to 1)
Carolina Panthers +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Dallas Cowboys +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Green Bay Packers +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Houston Texans +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Los Angeles Rams +$2,500 (25 to 1)
New Orleans Saints +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Denver Broncos +$3,000 (30 to 1)
Tennessee Titans +$3,000 (30 to 1)
Washington Redskins +$3,500 (35 to 1)
Detroit Lions +$4,000 (40 to 1)
Baltimore Ravens +$6,500 (65 to 1)
Jacksonville Jaguars +$6,500 (65 to 1)
Arizona Cardinals +$7,500 (75 to 1)
Buffalo Bills +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Cincinnati Bengals +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Los Angeles Chargers +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Miami Dolphins +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Oakland Raiders +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Indianapolis Colts +$12,500 (125 to 1)
Chicago Bears +$30,000 (300 to 1)
New York Giants +$30,000 (300 to 1)
New York Jets +$40,000 (400 to 1)
Cleveland Browns +$999,900 (9,999 to 1)
San Francisco 49ers +$999,900 (9,999 to 1)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #1056
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Ya it sucks that Mariota had to miss that game against the Dolphins. We win that game easily if he plays. Then would be 4-2 for a chance to go 5-2 into the bye and alone in first place.
If my uncle was my aunt.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #1057
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
If my uncle was my aunt.

I know I know. As I was typing that out I was thinking that, but just didn't feel like deleting it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #1058
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eagles fans must be pounding the Carson Wentz MVP bets. He's +125 at Bovada. I think Wentz has been good but my choice for MVP so far this year would be Watson.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #1059
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Eagles fans must be pounding the Carson Wentz MVP bets. He's +125 at Bovada. I think Wentz has been good but my choice for MVP so far this year would be Watson.
Watson may beat out Fournette for OROY but MVP on a .500 team? That’s going to be tough.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #1060
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be interesting this year, I don't think there's been an obvious QB candidate so far.

Wide receivers never win this, but Antonio Brown being on pace for almost 130 catches and 1900 yards despite Bens recent play is simply ridiculous. 200 yards ahead of the next best receiver already.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote