Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #101
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Well, for the record it was a bar and for how many hours they were there for, don't remember seeing Dougie say a single word. Was mostly just on his phone while everyone else was conversing. It certainly gave some validity to the whole 'loner' label the Bruins gave him in that article they wrote. Not saying it's a big deal or not that he prefers to have his brother around, just saying I hope his game isn't negatively affected by losing his brother/roommate for the time being.
And again, this was you 'observing' from across the bar. It gives no validity to the 'loner' label, as you honestly can't tell a thing from where you were sitting. There are an infinite number of reasons he might have spent his time on the phone.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #102
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrushing Hits View Post
I have heard from a reliable source that this is essentially true. It's odd that you seem to be getting so worked up about it too.
I get 'worked up' about it because all too often rumors like this are complete BS and then everyone runs with it, and suddenly the player is made to look bad.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I have yet to see any evidence of this other then some media guys talked about it, and now this source of yours. The Sedins made it clear they are playing together for life. Scott Niedermayer said a reason he signed in Anaheim was because of Rob. So where is the quote from either Hamilton about it being a condition they play together? Even the article AC posted says from BT himself that they tried to acquire Freddie the season before Dougie was traded here. So eyes were on Freddie even before then.

Frankly it makes Dougie look like a baby and I think that's not only unfair to him, but to the professionalism these guys show on a daily basis when it comes to dealing with rumors like this. There's already people in this thread calling him a baby, a loner and saying he needs to 'suck it up'.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #103
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Agreed. Should've been a two way deal. $650k is a lot to pay an AHL player
Definitely. Which is why I tend to believe the rumors. What other reason did Hamilton get a one way deal for two years? He was an ahl tweener who did nothing before his Flames deal.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #104
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they were really worried about Dougie they would waive Glass who also brings very little to the team. Clearly they think Dougie is fine without his big bro here
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #105
Bonecrushing Hits
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I get 'worked up' about it because all too often rumors like this are complete BS and then everyone runs with it, and suddenly the player is made to look bad.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I have yet to see any evidence of this other then some media guys talked about it, and now this source of yours. The Sedins made it clear they are playing together for life. Scott Niedermayer said a reason he signed in Anaheim was because of Rob. So where is the quote from either Hamilton about it being a condition they play together? Even the article AC posted says from BT himself that they tried to acquire Freddie the season before Dougie was traded here. So eyes were on Freddie even before then.

Frankly it makes Dougie look like a baby and I think that's not only unfair to him, but to the professionalism these guys show on a daily basis when it comes to dealing with rumors like this. There's already people in this thread calling him a baby, a loner and saying he needs to 'suck it up'.
I agree with you, Whale, it is BS calling Dougie a baby, etc. I think he’s a good young talent with even more to offer and an important piece of the team moving forward. I don’t doubt the Flames had interest in Freddie prior to Dougie coming to the team. Maybe a request for an agreement didn’t come from Dougie at all, maybe from their parents. That part is hard to say, so it is purely a guess.

I just hope this is the first step in correcting the bottom 6 this year.
Bonecrushing Hits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #106
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Man oh man, time after time I keep seeing this get posted around here; That the reason Freddie was here was simply to appease Dougie. And time and time again, I've asked for a single shred of evidence/proof that this was the case. And not a single person has been able to provide an interview, article, or soundbite confirming this. This is literally something CP MADE UP and ran with.

It's kind of disrespectful to Dougie to suggest that the only reason he plays well is because his brother was here and that it was some kind of secret agreement to bring him here. First of all, he was TRADED here. Not signed as a free agent. He went to the team that was willing to pay the price, and that was us. Him nor his agent have a say in where that happened to be. It's nothing like the Niedermayer situation in Anaheim. Nor the Sedin situation in Vancouver. Not even close. He could have easily ended up on Edmonton or some other city if Boston accepted their offer.

So once again I ask to those who seem to believe this BS rumor about Dougie specifically asking for his brother to be brought here, to provide us all with some sort of proof or evidence of this. This 'rumor' can be traced back to CP and it stops there. Of course Dougie was happy Freddie was here. But these guys are professionals and know the day they make the NHL that they are probably going to be traded one day in their career and there is nothing they can do about it (unless they have a NTC/NMC of some kind).
While I don’t nevessarily agree it’s a CP invention, I do think it’s incredibly disrespectful to Freddie. He made it to a level most of us could only dream of, he’s a better player than anyone here. He made it on his own merit and still has a chance to carve out a career elsewhere. I’m glad he’s off, but not because I dislike him, I just want Janko on the roster more, because of his perceived higher ceiling.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #107
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With Lazar there really is no need for F. Hamilton.

Yes Hamilton is more versatile than Glass, but Lazar can play C and Wing and brings the same kind of intangibles that F. Hamilton brings but at a faster pace.

The one thing Hamilton brought was a great attitude despite not playing. Hopefully Lazar can do the same because I don't see him drawing into the lineup ahead of Stajan.

Although I'd have Lazar over Stajan but I don't think Gulutzan sees it the same way. It will be interesting to see where Lazar draws into the lineup heading forward. He really has to push while Jagr is out to secure his spot
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #108
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
And again, this was you 'observing' from across the bar. It gives no validity to the 'loner' label, as you honestly can't tell a thing from where you were sitting. There are an infinite number of reasons he might have spent his time on the phone.
Well, what exactly would you expect? It's not like Dougie is going to come out and say he's a loner and needs his brother here or he's going to be sad and pout. There aren't going to be a lot of facts in this particular situation. All we know is that his brother is on this team and for some reason, there's a lot being made about that in the media and etc. Also, we know that the Bruins in their article stated that he was a loner and was not liked by his teammates. Lastly, my observation is my opinion and I don't particularly care if you like it or not because you weren't there, but that certainly was my initial take. It's not hard to tell if someone looks like like they're being left out or if they keep to themselves.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #109
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Well, what exactly would you expect? It's not like Dougie is going to come out and say he's a loner and needs his brother here or he's going to be sad and pout. There aren't going to be a lot of facts in this particular situation. All we know is that his brother is on this team and for some reason, there's a lot being made about that in the media and etc. Also, we know that the Bruins in their article stated that he was a loner and was not liked by his teammates. Lastly, my observation is my opinion and I don't particularly care if you like it or not because you weren't there, but that certainly was my initial take. It's not hard to tell if someone looks like like they're being left out or if they keep to themselves.
Of course it's your opinion. I'm questioning exactly how you think you can arrive at it with such limited information. But, whatever. I'm just tired of people concluding how the players are feeling, what they're thinking, or diagnosing personalities from the other side of a bar or from in front of their television. If you think you can do that, all the power to you.

It's not about noticing if he kept to himself, it's then linking this back to the 'loner' stuff out of Boston.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #110
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Re: Dougie - you guys are likely making more of an issue of it than it is.
Talking about Dougie being "a man about it" and so on..

I hope Dougie doesn't check out CP, because if he's as fragile as some of you make him out to be, then he would be destroyed by a few the comments.

But really, I'm sure they understood the possibility and know this was potentially going to happen. I'm also guessing their grateful to get the opportunity they have to play together in the NHL and if he clears will likely see games as a Flame once again.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #111
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
With Lazar there really is no need for F. Hamilton.

Yes Hamilton is more versatile than Glass, but Lazar can play C and Wing and brings the same kind of intangibles that F. Hamilton brings but at a faster pace.

The one thing Hamilton brought was a great attitude despite not playing. Hopefully Lazar can do the same because I don't see him drawing into the lineup ahead of Stajan.

Although I'd have Lazar over Stajan but I don't think Gulutzan sees it the same way. It will be interesting to see where Lazar draws into the lineup heading forward. He really has to push while Jagr is out to secure his spot
Good point. There's definitely a bit of a duplication with Lazar and Familton. Makes sense to keep the different guy in Glass.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #112
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #113
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Gulutzan on Freddie Hamilton, "He needs to play" bottom line.
Interesting.

Freddie Hamilton is only two months younger than Garnet Hathaway. If people think Hathaway will be back up at some point this season, I'm sure that the window is still open for Freddie too.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #114
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good point. Maybe playing more in the AHL for a bit he can come back to NHL and become a regular 4th line player. Playing more won't hurt him.

Stajan will be gone next year and maybe Brouwer is a buyout. If he takes this the right way and plays well he could be back and more impactful.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #115
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Freddie wouldn't have been my first waive, but he should clear and could still be called back up in a 13th/14th forward capacity once the Flames sort out their bottom six.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #116
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Interesting.

Freddie Hamilton is only two months younger than Garnet Hathaway. If people think Hathaway will be back up at some point this season, I'm sure that the window is still open for Freddie too.
Both would be 13th/14th forwards if I were Treliving. It's just that difficult to move a Stajan/Brouwer.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #117
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freddie has more points than Bennett lol...

This favor stuff is nonsense, Freddie will probably rip up the AHL...he is on the cusp of being an everyday NHLer and it's not because of his brother
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #118
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Freddie has more points than Bennett lol...

This favor stuff is nonsense, Freddie will probably rip up the AHL...he is on the cusp of being an everyday NHLer and it's not because of his brother
This is a weird take. A mostly healthy scratched AHL tweener is on the cusp of being an every day NHLer?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #119
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure Freddie will “rip it up” but the guy did have 43 points in 62 AHL games two years ago.

I really don't get the Freddie hate. He’s never going to be a star, but he’s not expected to be one either. I’m much more frustrated with guys like Brouwer and Glass.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #120
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I really don't get the Freddie hate.
There's Freddie hate?

Just because people like Janko better than Freddie doesn't mean they hate Freddie.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: