Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #8781
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
It's especially stupid when you consider that this might be the most level playing field we'll ever see for playoff hockey. All teams had exactly the same amount of travel (nearly zero) and had several months to heal up from the regular season. It was as fair as you can get.
A friend of mine, who is an Oilers fan, was really upset that the Hawks' old guys were rested because it gave them an unfair advantage. He claimed that they would have been banged up with injuries in a regular season, and thus beatable for the mighty Oilers.
I just smiled and nodded because he's one of my best friends.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #8782
Rifraf
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Salary cap.

While it can be done, the team would be hard pressed to address defensive and goaltending problems on the roster.
Not sure I agree. Lots of examples of it working on CF. It does come down to what it would take to sign Hall, the RFA’s and a #1 Goalie. Ryan imo would be the first cap casualty. Likey one other Sam or Dave.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #8783
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
A friend of mine, who is an Oilers fan, was really upset that the Hawks' old guys were rested because it gave them an unfair advantage. He claimed that they would have been banged up with injuries in a regular season, and thus beatable for the mighty Oilers.
I just smiled and nodded because he's one of my best friends.
In fairness, they DID have an unfair advantage - they were playing the Oilers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #8784
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Taylor Hall

Those are his three best seasons in his career. Injury prone, defensively liable and a play style that will degrade fast as he relies on physical tools.

Does he get 10 million? We’re talking Brad Richards contract territory. He’s scored 30 goals ONCE in his career. He’s a 25 goal scorer in a good season. 30+ in a great season.

Great player and I’d love him on this team for the right money, that is under 7 million. He’s going to cash in on that 93p season though.
Games played last 5 years / games in season:
2015-2016 - 82/82
2016-2017 - 72/82 (meniscus surgery, was expected to miss 3-4 weeks, missed 2)
2017-2018 - 76/82 (hand injury)
2018-2019 - 33/82 (another knee surgery, had 37pts in those 33games btw)
2019-2020 - 65/~68 (games missed were from healthy scratches near when he was traded)

Presuming the latest knee surgery and recovery finally fixed up his knee, I don't see him as any more "injury prone" than anyone else. At a minimum, "injury concerns" are not a con I'd put on the pros/cons list to a Hall signing.
But that's just my take.

I think he has higher point totals in him too, if he could get onto a team with some better pieces around him, or even better yet, get on a team with more than 1 scoring line so he's not always against top defenders.

The dream would be to have Gaudreau AND Hall on the team next year (and shift one of Gaudreau, Hall or Tkachuck to RW), and see if we can have an "all-in" season. Worst case if it isn't panning out, you trade Johnny at the deadline or next season's draft. Problem with that is I think you get more for Johnny now than then.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #8785
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Taylor Hall

Those are his three best seasons in his career. Injury prone, defensively liable and a play style that will degrade fast as he relies on physical tools.

Does he get 10 million? We’re talking Brad Richards contract territory. He’s scored 30 goals ONCE in his career. He’s a 25 goal scorer in a good season. 30+ in a great season.

Great player and I’d love him on this team for the right money, that is under 7 million. He’s going to cash in on that 93p season though.
Richards was 30, Hall is 28.
The free agent market might account for the injury problems, but yeah, you make a good point.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 09-30-2020 at 04:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #8786
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
You're one of these posters that seemingly only signs in to drive-by hall, so I am going to pick on you a bit (there was another just like you last page, and the page before that...)

WHY

Why do you believe this? Is there any statistic, relevant history, comparable player, or other demonstrable fact that you can point to that will elucidate the reasoning behind Hall=bad for the rest of us?

What i am about to say is 100% as valid as what you did because I will also offer no proof.

Hall >> Johnny Gaudreau, probably even moreso in 3 years time.
Hall being better than Gaudreau is laughable, let alone twice as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #8787
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=Crown Royal;7587361]Considering he's only surpassed 50 points once, I'm not why you think that is such a hot take.[/QUOTE

He has 50 or more 3 times. Do you know who else only has 50 points 2 times, Elias Lindholm.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #8788
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ding ding ding. I feel like this could be repeated 5, 10, maybe 100 times (since that's how quick these circles of conversation are going):

The benefit of replacing Gaudreau with Hall is not the quality of the players, that is negligible by any measure. It's strictly the assets you get from being able to trade Gaudreau without the #1 LW position taking a step back.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #8789
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Ding ding ding. I feel like this could be repeated 5, 10, maybe 100 times (since that's how quick these circles of conversation are going):

The benefit of replacing Gaudreau with Hall is not the quality of the players, that is negligible by any measure. It's strictly the assets you get from being able to trade Gaudreau without the #1 LW position taking a step back.
I am not at all shocked that Dissentower decided to quote my post without understanding any of the context or actually reading it.
But yes, this is absolutely the benefit of signing Hall.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #8790
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Spot on. This is the kind of post that occurs when you remove emotion from the equation and make an effort to ensure you're seeing things in a lighted room. Hall is a good player, but Gaudreau has consistently moved the needle at all levels. He may get moved st some point, but the hockey world undoubtedly recognizes his skillset as being elte.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to really? For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #8791
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I see Holtby accepting a 3 year term from Colorado (coincides with Mackinnon’s contract).
Colorado signing Holtby would also make sense as he and Grubauer were a fantastic tandem with the Caps
Old 09-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #8792
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau is the better player but if he has to be moved Hall while not an upgrade would fill help fill the massive hole in the top 6.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #8793
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not at all shocked that Dissentower decided to quote my post without understanding any of the context or actually reading it.
But yes, this is absolutely the benefit of signing Hall.
And nobody is surprised you are trying to spin it that way after posting something so ridiculous and getting called out for it. Typical.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #8794
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, he’s clearly not twice as good as Johnny, but I expect that if both were UFA’s today, Hall would get the better contract.

But I don’t know that. It’s certainly debatable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #8795
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And nobody is surprised you are trying to spin it that way after posting something so ridiculous and getting called out for it. Typical.
Go back to Chatham you wannabe.

You still did not read the post, in which I specifically mentioned that it was just as ridiculous as what I was replying to. yet here you are ready to try and step on me for unknown reasons. Maybe you can smell the windsor on me.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #8796
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'd say Hall and Gaudreau are pretty even, but I prefer Gaudreau because of Hall's injury problems. But, if possible, I prefer both.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 09-30-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #8797
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't think Hall was very pretty when he fell on a skate, if that's what you're referring to.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #8798
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Go back to Chatham you wannabe.

You still did not read the post, in which I specifically mentioned that it was just as ridiculous as what I was replying to. yet here you are ready to try and step on me for unknown reasons. Maybe you can smell the windsor on me.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #8799
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

The hell is going on here.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #8800
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I didn't think Hall was very pretty when he fell on a skate, if that's what you're referring to.
Apparently posts lose something when I miss words
Closed Thread