Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #6301
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
As already noted, they could be talking to Vancouver about acquiring his rights.
Is inquiring really being "in on"? The Canucks are trying to re-sign him, they aren't going to be even listening to offers from the Flames and Avs
Old 09-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #6302
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
So they are accusing the Flames and Avs of tampering? Because if the Canucks are trying to re-sign Markstrom, they won't be trying to trade him and these teams cannot talk to him until free agency opens.
I just went back on the tuneIn app and replayed it. So the afternoon guy from 650 in Vancouver (something Shaw?) was talking yesterday about Markstrom and referencing someone else saying they heard the Flames and Avs are in. Shaw then says:

“Eric (not sure of that is the name) thinks that there will be 2 other teams after him Colorado and Calgary and I can say one team assuredly is and that is Calgary”
Old 09-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #6303
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If the two sides are far apart and Markstrom has indicated he is going to FA then yes, they'd listen to an offer.

And being in on someone's rights with the intent to sign them long term is still being in on a player.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #6304
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As already noted, they could be talking to Vancouver about acquiring his rights.
They could be but would Vancouver negotiate that in good faith if they think they’ve got a shot themselves? If they are talking to Vancouver about rights I think Vancouver must believe their own chances are slim.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #6305
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were thinking all 3 teams have the same money. Avs don’t want to go term, and Calgary and Vancouver are in similar ball parks. Will the Flames give the contractual asks that Markstrom will want?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #6306
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Avs win the Markstrom sweeps if he doesn't sign in Vancouver. They can out bid the Flames willy nilly.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #6307
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I just went back on the tuneIn app and replayed it. So the afternoon guy from 650 in Vancouver (something Shaw?) was talking yesterday about Markstrom and referencing someone else saying they heard the Flames and Avs are in. Shaw then says:

“Eric (not sure of that is the name) thinks that there will be 2 other teams after him Colorado and Calgary and I can say one team assuredly is and that is Calgary”
That makes way more sense.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #6308
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hell, if negotiations fall apart with Vancouver and we can snag Markstrom's rights for a 3rd or so - as much as I want Kuemper, that's a huge win - but there are some reports out there that Vancouver does look like they'll get a contract with Markstrom done.

Hard to argue for a Kuemper trade without knowing what happens with Markstrom though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They were thinking all 3 teams have the same money. Avs don’t want to go term, and Calgary and Vancouver are in similar ball parks. Will the Flames give the contractual asks that Markstrom will want?
Markstrom wanting expansion draft assurances is where Calgary becomes really appealing (in comparison to Vancouver).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think the Avs win the Markstrom sweeps if he doesn't sign in Vancouver. They can out bid the Flames willy nilly.
Not if Markstrom wants term and Colorado sticks true to their managing of the cap in preparation for "tomorrow".

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-16-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #6309
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah there's no "being in on" at this stage.

Clearly the Flames are after a goalie upgrade - but there's no way the Flames or the Ads are "in on" Markstrom at this stage as he belongs to Vancouver. Perhaps he knows the Flames will be in on him if he hits free agency, but as of today that's not possible.
Rumblings only Vancouver is the Flames have expressed some interest. They are not talking deal or anything like that (unless rights are being traded).

I think Players can catch wind of who is looking to offer them a deal and it is not necessarily tampering. If they are talking term and $ then that is a different scenario
Old 09-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #6310
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The arguement is the Avs wouldn’t want to go 5-6 years and are looking at short term deals. If the Avs match the term then I assume he would sign there.

In Vancouver he is going to want assurance he is going to be protected and with Demko I am not sure Benning will want to do that? Treliving can definitely offer that assurance.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #6311
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm Vancouver I let Markstrom walk, Demko sure likes like a capable number 1. Huge cap savings, maybe sign Talbot as a capable backup. They also wouldn't have to worry who to protect next year in the expansion draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #6312
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have a bit more cap space but they also are carrying two goalies already. They have some big re-signings to achieve as well - Burakovsky, Nikushkin, Jost, Graves and Zadorov and they have to decide to keep Namesnikov as well. They also have to think about Makar in the next season as well - he’s going to want to get paid.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #6313
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it means not trading their first for an ok goalie, sign any UFA available.

Signing Markstrom and keeping the first round pick is way more appealing than trading the first for 2 years of Kempner.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #6314
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Markstrom is the same age as Kuemper as well. Just makes more sense
Old 09-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #6315
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
If I'm Vancouver I let Markstrom walk, Demko sure likes like a capable number 1. Huge cap savings, maybe sign Talbot as a capable backup. They also wouldn't have to worry who to protect next year in the expansion draft.
Vancouver fans may prefer to get assets for Demko if they can and keep Markstrom. If they think Demko is a long term number 1 I agree let Markstrom walk
Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #6316
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
If it means not trading their first for an ok goalie, sign any UFA available.

Signing Markstrom and keeping the first round pick is way more appealing than trading the first for 2 years of Kempner.
Well, the 2 years of Kuemper likely becomes longer - so really it's 2 years for Kuemper at 4.5M + potential of longer.

Markstrom, if he hits market, it's likely 5-6 years with a cap-hit of 5.5-6.5M
Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #6317
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Demko’s sample size is pretty small to be making that move away from someone who’s finally proven themselves like Markstrom. But it’s Vancouver and they’ve pulled that move before.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #6318
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it is just because I see more of Markstrom than Kuemper but all things being equal I prefer Markstrom.

Markstrom might only cost cap space but likely requires a 5-6 year deal at 5-6M
Kuemper is locked in at 4.5 for 2 years but from all accounts costs a 1st to acquire.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #6319
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would anyone be interested in making a deal for Grubauer? If the Avs decide to go with Markstrom and Francouz?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #6320
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Can the Avs off him term? They have Zadarov as an RFA now, Makar and Landeskog need new contracts after next year.
Closed Thread