Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #41
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Why do you think Frost is so good? At 20 Monahan had 31 goals and 62pts but this guy is going to surpass him? I guess I don’t see how a guy picked at the end of the first round 3 years ago and putting up modest numbers today is a breakout top line center?

Voracek is far too risky. Becomes the highest paid player on the team and possibly as soon as next year would be the 4th best winger based on your lineup. A contract that likely will never be worth the cap hit again.

Myers now in the fold would then have the Flames forcing to protect Hanifin, Myers and Anderson in expansion so we lose our captain in a year or expose one of the young Dmen (obviously a trade could be made before expansion however$

Honestly where does the Morgan Frost hype come from? I rarely see a 27th pick in a draft 3 years previous who has had a modest start to his pro career get first line hype.
If Frost was a Flames prospect he would be a bust at 20 and we would he lucky to get a 5th rnd pick for him. Or at least that is what half the board would say.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #42
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 2nd and a mid range prospect is what I'd do for Andersen. I think he has 2nd line.center written all.over him. His playmak8ng would suit chuck's style immensely in my humble opinion.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #43
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you think Frost is so good? At 20 Monahan had 31 goals and 62pts but this guy is going to surpass him? I guess I don’t see how a guy picked at the end of the first round 3 years ago and putting up modest numbers today is a breakout top line center?
Because he's very skilled, super smart, and plays a really solid two way game. To add to that, he's a true playmaker that we've sorely lacked since Savard was traded away for nothing.

Quote:
Voracek is far too risky. Becomes the highest paid player on the team and possibly as soon as next year would be the 4th best winger based on your lineup. A contract that likely will never be worth the cap hit again.
Voracek is as solid as they come. Why is he going to fall off this cliff like you predict? He's been nothing but consistent in his production and manages to stay healthy, missing only 13 games in the past 7 seasons, playing all games in five of those seasons. He's not showing signs of wear and tear. I don't get this narrative when there is nothing to support it.

Quote:
Myers now in the fold would then have the Flames forcing to protect Hanifin, Myers and Anderson in expansion so we lose our captain in a year or expose one of the young Dmen (obviously a trade could be made before expansion however$
That's a terrible problem to have. Too many good young defensemen. What are we going to complain about next? Having too many 60+ point players. Oh wait...

Quote:
Honestly where does the Morgan Frost hype come from? I rarely see a 27th pick in a draft 3 years previous who has had a modest start to his pro career get first line hype.
There's no hype. It's just a straight observation and identifying a player that has "it." You want to talk about hype, look at the discussion on Dylan Cozens. He's the second coming to some. What is really funny is that Frost put up very similar production as Cozens in his draft +1, Cozens (1.66 PPG) being more goal scorer and Frost (1.67 PPG) being more playmaker. He is a kid that has surpassed his draft position and continues to make people wish they had called his name earlier. He's one of those players that you watch and just get excited about every time he steps on the ice.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #44
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I admittedly never watched Frost so you could be right but I think the hype around Cozens is because he was the 7th overall pick last year not the 27th pick 3 years ago. Also comparing scoring makes some sense but isn’t the OHL typically higher scoring than the WHL? Sven Baertschi has 2 ppg in his draft+1 season. I am also not as hyped on Cozens as some but definitely more so than Frost.

Acquiring a 31 year old with a 8.25M cap hit is just not smart especially when you are trading the cheaper, better, younger player. If Voracek comes back in a Gaudreau trade it is an instant loss for the Flames in my opinion. I rather push for Konecny straight up than that package all day.

Anyways agree to disagree on this one.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #45
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frost is good, but I honestly prefer Farabee. They both have similar size and skill set, but Farabee plays with bite, can agitate, and even drop the mitts when needed. He would look great with Benny or Chucky. He was the guy to stick with the big club when Frost was sent down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #46
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
A 2nd and a mid range prospect is what I'd do for Andersen. I think he has 2nd line.center written all.over him. His playmak8ng would suit chuck's style immensely in my humble opinion.
I said that I like Andersson a few weeks ago here, and kinda got jumped on lol. I like him too as a middle six player-good size, speed, and playmaking abilty, mixed with a touch of meanness.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #47
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Because he's very skilled, super smart, and plays a really solid two way game. To add to that, he's a true playmaker that we've sorely lacked since Savard was traded away for nothing.
Was Alex Tanguay a joke to you?

Also there's some disrespect to johnny who has two 60+ assist seasons under his belt... which Alex Tanguay never did and which Marc savard didn't do until he was 30

Last edited by Monahammer; 06-18-2020 at 07:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #48
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't really understand the hype either.

Compare him to a someone like Kailer Yamamoto, who we hardly hear about.

They're both 21. They were both drafted in the late 1st round of 2017. They're both pretty small (Yamamoto is very small).

But Frost had 7 points in 20 games this year. Yamamoto had 26 points in 27 games. Frost is a left-handed center, Yamamoto is a right-handed right winger.

Yet for some reason, Frost is better than Monahan?
Yamamoto is much better than Frost. And Yamamoto is No Good for obvious reasons.
I'd rather just have Monahan.

Remember how Lindholm was under the radar before the Flames acquired him? Treliving should aim for those types of players. The ones that would likely succeed with more of a real chance.

Luke Kunin had 31 points in 63 games this year. He's also a 21 year old center. Yet I bet a lot of people here haven't even heard of him.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #49
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Was Alex Tanguay a joke to you?

Also there's some disrespect to johnny who has two 60+ assist seasons under his belt... which Alex Tanguay never did and which Marc savard didn't do until he was 30
Center. We haven't had a playmaking center worth a damn since Savard was dealt away. We've had plenty of playmakers from the wing, but not much in the middle.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #50
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some context is important as well. Yamamoto was playing on the wing of the Art Ross trophy winner, and Frost played out of position and bounced around the lineup, which is never an easy thing. The thing is that Frost has displayed all of the attributes that you would want in a top six centre. His floor is probably an excellent third line centre.

After this year, when Yamamoto broke out, I would way that his value is not much higher than Frost, due to being a centreman and pure displayed talent.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think the trade that makes the most sense is a one-for-one swap between Edmonton and NYR, Andersen for Puljujarvi.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #52
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think the trade that makes the most sense is a one-for-one swap between Edmonton and NYR, Andersen for Puljujarvi
This is the most often heard rumour. I can't remember which side was being unreasonable in wanting more. That would give NYR potentially Kakko, Kravtsov and Puljujarvi on the right side if they all hit, that would be impressive.

For Edmonton it potentially solves their third line centre is crap problem. Whichever GM has been dragging their feet should likely reconsider their position, although I personally think that Andersson has more value.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #53
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Am I in the Hot Takes thread?

I don’t agree at all. I may be frustrated with Hanifin’s progress but he doesn’t make gaffs like Kylington for the most part.
Kylington makes gaffes with the puck.
Hanifin makes gaffes without it.

You just notice the former more. Hanifin's gaffes IMO are costlier.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 06-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #54
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Kylington makes gaffes with the puck.
Hanifin makes gaffes without it.

You just notice the former more. Hanifin's gaffes IMO are costlier.
Give Kylington Hanifin’s matchups and ice time and he is the new whipping boy on the team.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #55
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Frost is good, but I honestly prefer Farabee. They both have similar size and skill set, but Farabee plays with bite, can agitate, and even drop the mitts when needed. He would look great with Benny or Chucky. He was the guy to stick with the big club when Frost was sent down.
All of those characteristics are reasons why Philly isn't going to trade him.
Johnny has a lot of value, but his value is in future/unproven assets. Teams aren't going to trade important pieces off their current roster to pick up Gaudreau. They're going to want to bolster their lineup with Johnny, at the expense of futures.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #56
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
All of those characteristics are reasons why Philly isn't going to trade him.
Johnny has a lot of value, but his value is in future/unproven assets. Teams aren't going to trade important pieces off their current roster to pick up Gaudreau. They're going to want to bolster their lineup with Johnny, at the expense of futures.
Disagree. If teams want Gaudreau they will pay the price Treliving is looking for. He is not going to be forced to take unknown futures.

Hilarious to suggest the Flyers wouldn’t trade Frost for Gaudreau.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #57
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ridiculous comment. If teams want Gaudreau they will pay the price Treliving is looking for. He is not going to be forced to take unknown futures.

Hilarious to suggest the Flyers wouldn’t trade Frost for Gaudreau.
What?
I was saying they wouldn't trade Farabee.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #58
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What?
Are you saying they wouldn't trade Farabee for Gaudreau straight up?
Old 06-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #59
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What?
My bad sorry.

The beauty of this for the Flames is they will not be forced to take a package they don’t want. The only scenario I see the Flames taking unknown futures is if the pick is top 10 in the coming draft.

If Treliving wants NHL ready youth and he targets Farabee if the Flyers say no then they don’t get their hometown Superstar and Treliving moves on the the next deal.

A nice season 8 goals in 52 games for a 20 year old but I really feel like many on here are undervaluing Gaudreau. On my opinion Gaudreau is a play driving superstar not an average first liner.

Philly would see something in Farabee that would stop them from adding a hometown superstar in his prime while their team is highly competitive?
Old 06-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #60
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Are you saying they wouldn't trade Farabee for Gaudreau straight up?
Probably not.
That's not to suggest that Farabee is a better player, or more valuable at the moment; however, Farabee brings some very important skills that Gaudreau doesn't, and he's only just scratching the surface.
As I already mentioned, teams aren't going to subtract important (young cost-controlled) players for Gaudreau. They'll pay his value in future assets/unproven young players.
Closed Thread