Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #5241
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Would really hate it if the Flames wasted a 1st on a goalie. Goaltending isn't our issue, as seen in the Playoffs and the majority of the regular season.
Talbot fell apart in the elimination game and let in a soft goal in 2 of the other 4 games.

Goaltending absolutely needs to be improved.

...the cost being a 1st is rough, but Kuemper is as close to a sure thing as there is out there right now. He’s a top 10 goalie in this league.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #5242
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Would really hate it if the Flames wasted a 1st on a goalie. Goaltending isn't our issue, as seen in the Playoffs and the majority of the regular season.
If Talbot's testing free agency and decides to go elsewhere, then Rittich and ??? maybe will be an issue?

I hate the idea of trading a 1st for a goalie unless it's a sure thing. But we can't seem to develop any (ever?) either.

Ideally Treliving works some magic and gets a deal done but lets us still restock the cupboards some at the same time.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #5243
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Talbot fell apart in the elimination game and let in a soft goal in 2 of the other 4 games.

Goaltending absolutely needs to be improved.

...the cost being a 1st is rough, but Kuemper is as close to a sure thing as there is out there right now. He’s a top 10 goalie in this league.
When he's healthy.

We're going to be seeing a lot of Gilllies/Big Z as backup if Kuemper is indeed acquired. I've watched a lot of Coyotes games and Kuemper is exactly what the Flames need. The problem? He's injury prone. I don't know why but he and Raanta switch off getting injured.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #5244
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I swear to #### if they trade 19th OA for a 30 year old goalie with only 2 years on his deal and only a season and a half of being a proven top goalie I'll snap.

5 years from now we'll be watching some 22/23 year old lighting the league up for Arizona and go "where'd he come from....oh yeah they drafted him in round 1 in 2020 with the pick we traded for Kuemper"

Meanwhile 35 year old Kuemper will be long gone into the sunset like a fart in the wind and the Flames probably still won't have made it out of the 1st round.

Trading 1st round picks for old players is IDIOTIC.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #5245
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Kuemper is a real top-tier goalie who would be the perfect stopgap until Wolf is ready. I don't think it would involve the first at all... that would be incredibly stupid.

Kuemper played for Bruce Boudreau in Minnesota, by the way.

It would have to be a very perfect deal to get OEL. But my gut is that the Flames and Coyotes have been talking non-stop since they were both eliminated in the first round.

I think a complicated deal with the two teams makes a lot of sense.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #5246
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know if I would love spending a first on Kuemper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #5247
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would much rather offer Jakob Pelletier than a first round pick. But since Kuemper only has a year left, I don't think he even justifies that.

I like Kuemper, he's a good goalie, but he has only once played more than 40 games in a season (mostly due to injuries). His career stats are much better than Markstrom's, who is the same age.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 09-09-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #5248
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think you need to be careful with a goalie who is 30 and only has one season where they played more than half of their team's games. At least if you are looking for a legit #1.

I would be willing to give him a chance, but not if it costs a lot to get him.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #5249
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't imagine it would just be a 1st for Kuemper. Like Scorp said I could see a big complicated deal.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #5250
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's Kuemper for a 1st straight up, completely agree, 100% - pass.

If it's Kuemper & 2021 2nd for the 2020 1st, getting alot warmer

Or who knows, could be Kuemper, OEL, Hayton for 1st, Gio, Ryan
... point is all the rumor is is that there's interest and the 1st may be part of the trade
Old 09-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #5251
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think Hayton would be part of it... I get he was a Chayka pick but teams don't part with top-5 guys easily regardless of who picked them.

I could see Victor Soderstrom or Jan Jenik MAYBE being on the table.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #5252
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't think Hayton would be part of it... I get he was a Chayka pick but teams don't part with top-5 guys easily regardless of who picked them.

I could see Victor Soderstrom or Jan Jenik MAYBE being on the table.
Was just a prospect of theirs that I could think of off the top of my head, just pointing out there's quite possibly/likely other pieces of the puzzle to factor in to the reaction to "omg a first?"
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #5253
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yup I think there's a lot of merit to that thinking, especially given that I think the Coyotes will be looking a lot further afield with their retool strategy. Flames are probably looking for guys who are ready to step in next year or the year after.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #5254
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If the rumours are true and Hall has his sites of free agency with Calgary being possible destination, I can't see his rights being more more than a conditional pick (maybe a 2021 3rd rounder if he signs before free agency).

I think OEL has negative value. His contract is abhorrent IMO, and it would also push Brodie out the door, so there is an opportunity cost there if you still want to re-sign Brodie. So from a Flames perspective, you would have to look at the trade as having Brodie out as part of it.

I'm also not sold on Kuemper. He had a great season, but was statistically on par with Raanta. It leads me to believe his success may more of a team result than individual. I would rather roll the dice with Talbot again if Kuemper was going to cost anything more than a 2nd rounder.
Arizona's goalies do have great numbers though and I don't think that's system. I think the two goalies have been what has kept Arizona competitive the last couple seasons.

Here are the top 5 goalies in goals saved above average over the last three seasons:

Vasilevskiy: 53.6
Hellebuyck: 51.6
Bishop: 51.4
Kuemper: 47.0
Raanta: 36.1

Here are the top goalies in Save percentage over the last three seasons:

1st: Raanta - .924
1st: Kuemper - .924
3rd: Bishop - .923
4th: Khudobin - .922
5th: Vasilevskiy: .921
6th: Hellebuyck: .919

When you look at the more detailed save percentage breakdown this is where Kuemper sits (2000 minutes or more)

HDSV%: .841 (6th)
MDSV%: .916 (15th)
LDSV%: .969 (14th)

And here is Raanta:

HDSV%: .819 (27th)
MDSV%: .934 (1st)
LDSV%: .977 (3rd)

Really though either way these goalies are still seeing more pucks than the Flames goalies even with system considered.

Rittich

High Danger Shots per 60: 7.71
Medium Danger Shots per 60: 8.6
Low Danger Shots per 60: 12.75
Total Shots Against per 60: 30.6

Raanta

High Danger Shots per 60: 8.77
Medium Danger Shots per 60: 7.82
Low Danger Shots per 60: 14.35
Total Shots Against per 60: 32.5

Kuemper

High Danger Shots per 60: 7.99
Medium Danger Shots per 60: 7.77
Low Danger Shots per 60: 13.48
Total Shots Against per 60: 31.0

With that being considered though I'm still against sending anything more than a 2nd to the Coyotes, and really I don't want to spend anymore draft capital on a goalie.

The asking price they probably have for Kuemper scares the crap out of me and I want nothing to do with moving a 1st for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I swear to #### if they trade 19th OA for a 30 year old goalie with only 2 years on his deal and only a season and a half of being a proven top goalie I'll snap.

5 years from now we'll be watching some 22/23 year old lighting the league up for Arizona and go "where'd he come from....oh yeah they drafted him in round 1 in 2020 with the pick we traded for Kuemper"

Meanwhile 35 year old Kuemper will be long gone into the sunset like a fart in the wind and the Flames probably still won't have made it out of the 1st round.

Trading 1st round picks for old players is IDIOTIC.
THIS

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-09-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #5255
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So since the yotes are hurting for draft picks in the next couple years, it's feasible to think they'd maybe be interested in quantity over quality... From the Flames perspective, would you rather:

a) Kuemper for the 2020 1st
b) Kuemper for the 2020 2nd & 2021 2nd

I don't think (a) is likely the full trade as per above, but just curious what people value more as far as one pick at 19, or two picks in the ~40-60s over a couple years.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #5256
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would rather neither. But I'd rather make a pick in the first round.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #5257
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames could get a prospect like Tristan Robins in the 2nd round, who's being sort of compared to the likes of Brayden Point possibly.

I am officially scared of this off season now.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #5258
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this days ago but I would still be on board for a trade structured like this:

OEL + Kuemper + Hall's rights for 1st 2019 + Giordano + Derek Ryan

IMO this makes stomaching the loss of the 1st easier we make Gio into a younger player, dump some salary in Ryan, and fix our gaping hole in net.

Also gives us plenty of runway to work a johnny trade and recoup a 1st.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #5259
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I would rather neither. But I'd rather make a pick in the first round.
Yeah, I don't think the is the year to trade a 1st rounder.

With the draft being really deep (apparently, I just go by what people on here have said), the uncertainty next season (an off chance the season doesn't even get played), and the fact we have only drafted in the 1st round 3 of the passed 5 years, I think we should hold onto it.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #5260
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you are trading Gaudreau and Monahan for picks and prospects you are taking a team that really only needs a good coach and maybe one more piece to be a contender and flushing it down the drain. You better move Gio as well and you can forget about handing Tkachuk the C as he will bolt as soon as his contract is up as he believes in this group and you will be sending him the totally wrong message. You won't be landing a Hall if that is your thinking as he wants to play for a team looking to win, not tank. The best play the Flames can make here is to bring in a good coach and maybe another piece or two depending on cap space. This is a team that is built to win now and can but you need the right conductor to drive the engine.
Do you just copy and paste the same statements into all of your posts?
Closed Thread