Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #21
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Something around Monahan and Tkachuk for Eichel interest you? Gaudreau would likely want to stay if he had Eichel as his C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Not overly. I really dislike that style of team building. I'm pretty happy.overall with how tree is trying to build an all around roster where there is no glaring hilaripus weakness because one guy eats so much cap you can't ice 3 or 4 competent line. Or a decent 6 d men.

I'd rather move Gaudreau and keep one of the best centers in team history and a younger more all arpund player like Tkachuk.
I get what you're saying, but in a couple more seasons Tkachuk will be costing closer to $10 million against the cap anyways and is pretty much the same age as Eichel, so if you can use Tkachuk to upgrade Monahan to Eichel you do it, especially if you can off set the loss of Tkachuk somewhat by landing Hall as a UFA.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #22
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
You sure about that one?

Skinner has 7 years left at 9 million per. that's a 42 million dollar buyout. You're pretty sure the Pegula's are going to write that cheque huh? 42 million over 14 years for someone not to play on your team.

Are you even aware of what is happening in the world right now?
Apparently you have no idea how much the Pegula's have for a fortune. This is like asking would you write a $10 cheque to improve your business. If the answer is no you are probably a crappy businessman.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #23
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have a group that they need to make a couple of additions. If they can add one player through free agency (Hall) and then deal from a position of strength to garner a couple of players that can make an immediate contribution, that makes the team immediately better and a possible contender. Add Hall, trade Gaudreau and some lesser assets to fill holes, and profit.

I'll say it again. Gaudeau, Bennett, and Jankowski to Philadelphia for Voracek, Frost, and Myers.

Hall-Monahan-Voracek
Tkachuk-Frost-Lindholm
Dube-Backlund-Mangipagne
Lucic-Ryan-Rieder/Rinaldo

Giordano-Anderson
Hanafin-Myers
Gustafsson-Kylington
Forbort

That is a deep lineup and would be a blast to watch, just by adding one free agent and trading away one key player.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #24
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I get what you're saying, but in a couple more seasons Tkachuk will be costing closer to $10 million against the cap anyways and is pretty much the same age as Eichel, so if you can use Tkachuk to upgrade Monahan to Eichel you do it, especially if you can off set the loss of Tkachuk somewhat by landing Hall as a UFA.

I'd still prefer to keep Monahan and Tlachuk. Call me crazy.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Lias Andersson told the Rangers he is done with them.

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
Post has learned that Lias Andersson has decided to remain in Sweden. Rangers had talked to him about joining team for 2020 training camp, but seventh-overall from 2017 opted against accepting invite...So it ends until there's a trade...

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
Andersson would play in Sweden next season if not traded, and perhaps even if he is dealt, depending on timing. But he won't be back with Rangers.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #26
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The Flames have a group that they need to make a couple of additions. If they can add one player through free agency (Hall) and then deal from a position of strength to garner a couple of players that can make an immediate contribution, that makes the team immediately better and a possible contender. Add Hall, trade Gaudreau and some lesser assets to fill holes, and profit.

I'll say it again. Gaudeau, Bennett, and Jankowski to Philadelphia for Voracek, Frost, and Myers.

Hall-Monahan-Voracek
Tkachuk-Frost-Lindholm
Dube-Backlund-Mangipagne

Giordano-Anderson
Hanafin-Myers
Gustafsson-Kylington
Forbort

That is a deep lineup and would be a blast to watch, just by adding one free agent and trading away one key player.
Not gonna lie, I've warmed to this idea, and that line up does look fantastic as long as Frost takes a step as a C, which is definitely possible.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 06-18-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I really don't know much about Lias Andersson as a player, but as a recent top pick and another young Swede I'd be willing to give him a shot if the price was right. Coming to a team with strong Swedish connections now could make a huge difference I'm sure.

Based on the price of previous 1st rounders that need a change of scenery, a 2nd round pick sounds about right I think. Though there was that rumour that the Rangers wanted a lot from Calgary specifically at the deadline:

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/fl...y-do-so-again/

Quote:
The Calgary Flames and New York Rangers were discussing a deal this season but according to the source, Jeff Gorton was asking for way too much. From what I could gather, the deal went south when the Blueshirts demanded the Flames first round pick in the 2020 draft. This was confirmed by someone with strong ties to the Flames organization.

Author’s Note: Soon after I published this article, I received contrary info that the two sides were never close to a deal. This of course is contrary to what I learned back in January, but I present it here to give you all I know.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #28
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank goodness Tre didn't deal a 1st for Lias Andersson. Good lord.

The most I'd be willing to part with is Bennett straight up in a 1 for 1 change of scenery trade.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #29
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hall-Monahan-Voracek
Tkachuk-Frost-Lindholm
Dube-Backlund-Mangipagne

Giordano-Anderson
Hanafin-Myers
Gustafsson-Kylington
Forbort

Frost has 7 points in 20 games and wasn’t even a ppg in the AHL and you pencil him in for second line C?

Voracek would join Hall, Backlund, Lucic and Gio as players who will be in their 30’s making significant money

Flyers laugh all the way to the bank with that deal. They keep their best young Dmen, give up zero picks and dump and contract well on its way to being overpaid.

Honestly I can’t comprehend how that is a good deal for the Flames unless Frost and Myers are both way better than their draft position and current stats dictate.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #30
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hall-Monahan-Voracek
Tkachuk-Frost-Lindholm
Dube-Backlund-Mangipagne

Giordano-Anderson
Hanafin-Myers
Gustafsson-Kylington
Forbort

Good God that is a terrible trade for Calgary.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #31
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Frost has 7 points in 20 games and wasn’t even a ppg in the AHL and you pencil him in for second line C?

Voracek would join Hall, Backlund, Lucic and Gio as players who will be in their 30’s making significant money

Flyers laugh all the way to the bank with that deal. They keep their best young Dmen, give up zero picks and dump and contract well on its way to being overpaid.

Honestly I can’t comprehend how that is a good deal for the Flames unless Frost and Myers are both way better than their draft position and current stats dictate.
Yeah, Frost and Myers would be the key for sure, they are good young players but can they take the next step right away?

Plus Voracek's longevity would also be a concern.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #32
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I might give the Rangers a hit or miss prospect like Gawdin or Phillips for Lias Andersson, or a conditional 2nd round pick that becomes a 3rd if he doesn't come over next season.

There is no way I would give a 1st or top 5 prospect from the cupboard for a prospect that is teetering on becoming a bust and demanded a trade.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #33
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Frost and Myers would be the key for sure, they are good young players but can they take the next step right away?

Plus Voracek's longevity would also be a concern.
$8.25M for 4 more years after this 2 ppg seasons but typically a 65pt player. Good player, age is scary and he is nearing overpaid. Down Goes Brown wrote an article about potential toxic contracts on the Athletic recent and this was on the list.

If Voracek is switched to a 1st, Myers is switched to Sanheim and Bennett is taken out of the deal or an additional 2nd is added I think it is better.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #34
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the few positions in which the Flyers are weak is RD. I'm not convinced that they would give up Sanheim or Myers, with Niskanen and Braun nearing retirement.

Voracek balancing salaries with Gaudreau is the minimum that I would contemplate. Philly can stomach the loss on RW because of the emergence of Konecny and Brink on the way up.

Flyers also don't need depth players the way that somewhere like Buffalo would, so Bennett and Jankowski have no value to them.

Players in play from the Flyers side : Frost, Patrick, Voracek (1.5M retained) and they would probably push for the 1st round pick instead of adding Patrick. If that offer isn't good enough for Calgary, I would guess that Philly tells them it's not on.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #35
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You're right, Frost only had 7 points in 20 NHL games, as a 20 year old, and a player the Flyers stated they were going to bring along slowly. That's a 29 point trend for a kid's first year of NHL hockey. I'm not sure if you noticed, but no one on the Flyers' minor league team scored a PPG pace. In fact, Morgan Frost was second in scoring on that team, by a single point, while playing 16 less games! Context is everything.

Quote:
And... ? Who cares how old as long as they earn their money. Voracek has been a consistent top 10 RW in the game and has not showed signs of slowing down, contrary to the hand wringing going on. He was on pace to repeat last year's output and maintain his 60-70 pt production average.

Quote:
I don't care what the Flyers get. I care what the Flames get. Yeah, the Flyers get the best player in Gaudreau, but the Flames get the next three best players which greatly aids the team. The Flames take on some risk in Voracek, but the Flyers take on risk in a couple of under-producing players who may just find their way to the minors in short order. It's a give and take deal, and I will take the depth this trade gives us and laugh all the way to the playoffs.

Quote:
Because both will/have. Myers is already a top four defenseman. Frost is going to be a top six center. He has potential to bypass Monahan on this team. This is a trade not only for now but also for the future. Just because you don't know what kind of players Morgan Frost or Phillipe Myers are does not mean this is not a great deal for the team. This is the exact type of trade that pushes teams forward.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #36
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Brad Treliving needs to be very careful. If the Flames lose in the play-in round or the first round of the playoffs, I think it would be fair to say Johnny Gaudreau’s value is at a very low point. He started most of the time in the offensive zone. His points per game were down. He was barely above 50% in puck possession. He gave up more chances than he produced. I don’t want the Flames to trade him for 60 cents on the dollar, which the Flames could very well get if he disappoints in the playoffs, then in the regular season, and then in the playoffs again. The NHL is a what have you done recently league.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #37
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thank goodness Tre didn't deal a 1st for Lias Andersson. Good lord.

The most I'd be willing to part with is Bennett straight up in a 1 for 1 change of scenery trade.
I'd sooner look at a 2nd or a 2nd + Jankowski.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #38
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I view Lias Andersson as having very little offensive upside. Not sure I'd even give up a second for him.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #39
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I view Lias Andersson as having very little offensive upside. Not sure I'd even give up a second for him.
I would be interested to see a study done on how the type of trade where team A gives up a 2nd round pick for Team B's former first round pick tends to work out.

Off the top of my head I can think of the Flames trading Baertschi for a 2nd, than being the team who traded a 2nd for Lazar.

Flames were fortunate to get Anderson with that pick and ultimately what looks to be a better asset. In Lazar...they should have kept the pick.

So I see two examples where Team A just should have kept the pick. Need to think a bit more to see if Team A takes the other teams problem and get's that player to explode.

Andrew Cogliano wasn't a high pick and I don't think he was a bad producer, and Edmonton sold him for a 2nd round pick. But he pretty much produced at a similar clip in Anaheim. But I guess that's one case where the team who traded the 2nd won the deal..of course it was against the Oilers. Who are even more guilty of stupidity on the Griffen Reinhart deal.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 06-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #40
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right, Frost only had 7 points in 20 NHL games, as a 20 year old, and a player the Flyers stated they were going to bring along slowly. That's a 29 point trend for a kid's first year of NHL hockey. I'm not sure if you noticed, but no one on the Flyers' minor league team scored a PPG pace. In fact, Morgan Frost was second in scoring on that team, by a single point, while playing 16 less games! Context is everything.

And... ? Who cares how old as long as they earn their money. Voracek has been a consistent top 10 RW in the game and has not showed signs of slowing down, contrary to the hand wringing going on. He was on pace to repeat last year's output and maintain his 60-70 pt production average.

I don't care what the Flyers get. I care what the Flames get. Yeah, the Flyers get the best player in Gaudreau, but the Flames get the next three best players which greatly aids the team. The Flames take on some risk in Voracek, but the Flyers take on risk in a couple of under-producing players who may just find their way to the minors in short order. It's a give and take deal, and I will take the depth this trade gives us and laugh all the way to the playoffs.

Because both will/have. Myers is already a top four defenseman. Frost is going to be a top six center. He has potential to bypass Monahan on this team. This is a trade not only for now but also for the future. Just because you don't know what kind of players Morgan Frost or Phillipe Myers are does not mean this is not a great deal for the team. This is the exact type of trade that pushes teams forward.

Why do you think Frost is so good? At 20 Monahan had 31 goals and 62pts but this guy is going to surpass him? I guess I don’t see how a guy picked at the end of the first round 3 years ago and putting up modest numbers today is a breakout top line center?

Voracek is far too risky. Becomes the highest paid player on the team and possibly as soon as next year would be the 4th best winger based on your lineup. A contract that likely will never be worth the cap hit again.

Myers now in the fold would then have the Flames forcing to protect Hanifin, Myers and Anderson in expansion so we lose our captain in a year or expose one of the young Dmen (obviously a trade could be made before expansion however$

Honestly where does the Morgan Frost hype come from? I rarely see a 27th pick in a draft 3 years previous who has had a modest start to his pro career get first line hype.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread