Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #8621
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm amazed that their is a hat that exists with FLOTUS on it, and am floored that the FLOTUS is actually wearing it, like it's a name badge. Is that in case Trump forgets who she is?
Yes. Also, the back of Trump's hat says "If I am lost, return me to........."
Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #8622
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The hats are on sale everyone! I bet all funds raised will go to hurricane relief or some worthwhile cause...
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/m...b084581a1395a1
Old 08-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #8623
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its the radical left that is dangerous.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...ting-for-trump

And so much for freedom of speech, right conservatives?

America is so ####ed up its beyond belief.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #8624
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Quote:
I deeply regret a statement I posted yesterday. I never meant to wish ill will upon any group. I hope all affected by Harvey recover quickly
I love that he says he never meant to wish ill will upon a group...while he literally wished ill will upon a group.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #8625
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its the radical left that is dangerous.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...ting-for-trump

And so much for freedom of speech, right conservatives?

America is so ####ed up its beyond belief.
I don't really get your position from your post. But the prof is absolutely free to say whatever he wants. There is no legal consequence for his tweet.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #8626
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I love that he says he never meant to wish ill will upon a group...while he literally wished ill will upon a group.
Did he wish ill on anyone?

“I don’t believe in instant Karma but this kinda feels like it for Texas. Hopefully this will help them realize the GOP doesn’t care about them,”

Considering the absolute lack of support for Sandy relief (25 out of 26 representatives voted against), this almost does seem like karma.

Sure, it was a dumb thing to tweet, but is that tweet really worthy of death threats and getting fired?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #8627
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Death threats? No. Fired? Sure. Or not. Whatever them Spartans want.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #8628
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I don't really get your position from your post. But the prof is absolutely free to say whatever he wants. There is no legal consequence for his tweet.
Yeah, well, "at least the government isn't trying to arrest you" is not much consolation when he's out of a job and in hiding from death threats. This is a reaction totally out of proportion to the offense, which was that a guy said a colossally stupid thing.

I guarantee you there are plenty of Texas preachers out there who are proudly declaring this event to be God's punishment for allowing homosexuals to marry, or some such. They certainly did with Katrina. It would take someone pretty dense to miss the analogy there. Dude should definitely be ashamed of himself. He should not have his life ruined. We all say stupid crap we regret.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #8629
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Did you read the story?

The professor lost his job and is getting death threats. All over a tweet. Remember this ###### nozzle?

http://www.businessinsider.com/peter-cvjetanovic-white-supremacist-charlottesville-photo-not-angry-racist-2017-8

His university protected him. A Nazis who joined a march, which killed a counter protester, took less damage than someone making a bad tweet.

You don't see how screwed up that is? Especially when you actually look at the content of the tweet? There was no ill well wished on anyone, just an inferred link between two events and an outcome.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 08-30-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #8630
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you read the story?

The professor lost his job and is getting death threats. All over a tweet. Remember this ###### nozzle? His university protected him. A Nazis who joined a march, which killed a counter protester, took less damage than someone making a bad tweet.

You don't see how screwed up that is? Especially when you actually look at the content of the tweet? There was no ill well wished on anyone, just an inferred link between two events and an outcome.
Like I said, universities can do whatever they want. He certainly should have lost his job too. But this guy lost his job...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ogy/571707001/

This guy lost his job...

http://www.businessinsider.com/resta...e-rally-2017-8

This guy lost his job...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/comp...aAxQ?li=AA54rW

This guy lost his job...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3452580

And so on. Sure the guy's tweet is relatively harmless compared to these guys. But I'd probably fire anyone saying stupid sh't like that. Especially at a University. There should be less political views offered by profs than more.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
V
Old 08-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #8631
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

@OMG!WTF!

OMG!!! WTF??? You think that a guy making a tweet should be treated like Nazis?
Old 08-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #8632
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
@OMG!WTF!

No but that's awesome you created that.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
V
Old 08-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #8633
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
@OMG!WTF!

Freedom of speech means that you can say what you want...it doesn't mean that you are free from the repercussions of your actions.

It's messed up that the Prof is getting death threats though...chilling

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #8634
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's also not like he's the only person on twitter to have said this kind of stuff.

People are just awful.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #8635
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Freedom of speech means that you can say what you want...it doesn't mean that you are free from the repercussions of your actions.

It's messed up that the Prof is getting death threats though...chilling
Oh, we agree. There should be ramifications. An apology or a retraction would be sufficient. To lose your job over a tweet about karma? Yikes. I just closed my twitter account.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #8636
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did he wish ill on anyone?
Unequivocally yes he did.

Quote:
One twitter user in Florida responding back to Storey said “I guess since we’re a Red state we deserve some bad karma too, right.”

According to the screen grabs from tweets that have since been deleted, Storey responded back, “Yep, those who voted for him here deserve it as well.
Quote:
Sure, it was a dumb thing to tweet, but is that tweet really worthy of death threats and getting fired?
Pretty much no one deserves death threats. But fired? Of course he does. What happens if he's teaching a person who voted for Trump (in Florida no less)? He said that he believes they deserved to have their house flooded, be displaced, face dangerous conditions and potential death...you think he's going to treat them fairly?
Old 08-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #8637
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

There's a lot of hate on both sides. On one side you have Nazis, who actively promote violence and genocide, including killing someone very recently. They should be free to be Nazis and do as they please. On the other side a guy made a thoughtless tweet, and it seems some people said some nasty things on Twitter as well. You can see how they're basically identical.

That said buddy can lose his job anytime. Shouldn't say stupid stuff on Twitter, that's what happens.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:43 AM   #8638
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
People are just awful.
Indeed they are. Always idiots on every side who have no decency.

The problem comes when those people lacking decency use it in some sort of political battle. To that end when the request for funding hits the floor in Washington I will be just as disgusted with any members that vote against the funding like so many Texas members of congress (andseveral others...not just Texas reps) voted against emergency funds for Sandy. For Sandy Pelosi and Boehner actually had to work together and fight to get the votes together which is absolutely ridiculous.

Whether it's karma I don't know but Tony Perkins getting his house destroyed by a flood was interesting...he's famous for saying stuff like God sends natural disasters to punish gay people.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #8639
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

And likewise would Trump supporting students treat him fairly? It's just not a thing you can say when working at a university.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #8640
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

This thread moves quickly, has anyone noted that Mattis stopped Trump's shortsighted transgender military ban and is convening a panel to research if it's worthwhile to do? A bit surprised Don hasn't come out and attacked him yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms