Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #2861
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final round qualifying for the Rolex Paris Masters ATP 1000 event is now complete and as it turns out, there will actually be 2 Canadians in the main draw!!

Vasek Pospisil did his part in giving us one more Canadian to root on for the main events as he knocked off grizzled French vet Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-3, 6-4 to the chagrin of the home crowd.

For his reward, Pospisil will face another grizzled French vet in Nicolas Mahut in round 1.

Other guys advancing to the main draw are as follows:

Jan-Lennard Struff def Peter Gojowczyk 6-3, 7-6 (Struff to play fellow qualifier Borna Coric for round 1)

Coric def Evgeny Donskoy 6-2, 6-3 (See above)

Joao Sousa def Ugo Humbert 7-5, 6-4 (Sousa will face Paolo Lorenzi next)

Jeremy Chardy def Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-3, 6-4 (Chardy to face fello frenchman Gilles Simon)

Filiip Krajinovic def Laslo Djere 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 (Krajinovic will play Yuichi Sugita)

Also, Peter Gojowczyk made it in as a LL. Gojowczyk will face Ryan Harrison in round 1.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #2862
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Title number 8 for Fed in Basel as he wins the 3rd set 6-3.
Pshhh only 8 titles in one event what a chump

Fed wins but then pulled out of Paris 1000 event with a back Injury, which means Nadal only needs one win to finish the year #1

If Fed misses WTF Nadal might FINALLY win it, the only trophy missing from his case
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #2863
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pospisil loses in three sets to a flailing Mahut, ending his season on another sour note after not being able to do much of anything the last few events. Is this crossroads in his singles career?

Denis is up against Benneteau later today. A win would set up another entertaining tilt with Tsonga.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #2864
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Pospisil loses in three sets to a flailing Mahut, ending his season on another sour note after not being able to do much of anything the last few events. Is this crossroads in his singles career?

Denis is up against Benneteau later today. A win would set up another entertaining tilt with Tsonga.
Well, too bad for Vasek, I don't think he currently has a coach, does he, I think that would be step 1 to try to get things moving in the right direction. As for Denis, Benneteau recently defeated Felix in a qualifying match, maybe Denis can get a little revenge for his good friend with a victory today.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #2865
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darn it, Gasquet and Paire are going to a third set which means the start of the Shapo - Benneteau match will be pushed back likely to about 2:45 Mountain time.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #2866
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course, because some of the other matches went long, the only way to watch Shapo is on TSN Go. Five channels and you can't show Shapo on any of them?!?
Old 10-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #2867
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bah, Denis loses to Benneteau in straight sets (6-4, 6-4)
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #2868
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Well, too bad for Vasek, I don't think he currently has a coach, does he, I think that would be step 1 to try to get things moving in the right direction. As for Denis, Benneteau recently defeated Felix in a qualifying match, maybe Denis can get a little revenge for his good friend with a victory today.
Yeah I don't think he ever addressed the coaching or lack thereof after he and Woodford split earlier in the season.

You'd think he might be getting to the point of considering full-time doubles as an option as I'm sure he could stick on the ATP level as opposed to having to gut out challenger level wins simply to have a crack at ATP singles events. This would also take a lot of pressure off of his constantly injured body.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #2869
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Pshhh only 8 titles in one event what a chump

Fed wins but then pulled out of Paris 1000 event with a back Injury, which means Nadal only needs one win to finish the year #1

If Fed misses WTF Nadal might FINALLY win it, the only trophy missing from his case
Fed's not hurt, he just thinks he will be if he tries to go 4 tourneys in a row (Shanghai, Basel, Paris, London) with no break. just like how Rafa chose not to do Beijing to London straight through.

don't worry, he'll be ready for the final showdown in a couple of weeks, it's gonna be great.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:15 PM   #2870
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Upset alert at Rolex Paris Masters!

10th seeded Sam Querrey gets ousted by qualifier Filip Krajinovic 6-4, 6-4 in round 2. Krajinovic is having quite a tounament to this point as he also upset Sugita in the 1st round 6-4, 6-2.

On that note, a few other qualifiers have wreaked some havoc today, and a we've got a lucky loser still in it as well. Examples are as follows.

Chardy def Simon 6-3, 6-0

Coric def Struff 6-3, 6-4

Sousa def Lorenzi 6-4, 7-5

(LL) Gojowczyk def Harrison 7-6, 6-3

The 2nd lucky loser wasn't so lucky as Kyle Edmund knocked off Evgeny Donskoy in 3 hard fought sets 5-7, 7-6, 6-3.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #2871
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rafa won his match today, which means that he will finish the year ranked #1! Congrats on a terrific season that not even his biggest fans saw coming. He's currently at 150 weeks at #1 and is only 20 weeks away from passing McEnroe which he should. Vamanos!!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #2872
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benneteau continues his run in Paris knocking off Jo-Willy Tsonga in three sets 2-6 7-6 6-2 in a battle of good friends and Davis Cup teammates.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #2873
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

In another Paris upset, Sasha Zverev loses to Robin Hasse in three sets 3-6 6-2 6-2. Man, I wonder what happened in those last two sets.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #2874
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what the points totals would be if you only counted tournaments Federer actually played in.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #2875
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I wonder what the points totals would be if you only counted tournaments Federer actually played in.
For sure Fed would be way ahead but that's taking out over a quarter of the season with no clay events. I'm sure not playing clay and resting extended Feds dominate play this season. I'm sure if he did play the clay season he wouldn't have won Wimbledon due to the grind of clay court tennis
Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #2876
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benneteau continues his strong run in Paris dispatching Goffin in straight sets 6-3 6-3. In another upset, Fernando Verdasco defeats Dominic Thiem in straight sets 6-4 6-4.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #2877
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
For sure Fed would be way ahead but that's taking out over a quarter of the season with no clay events. I'm sure not playing clay and resting extended Feds dominate play this season. I'm sure if he did play the clay season he wouldn't have won Wimbledon due to the grind of clay court tennis
Probably, but the point is more how much better he's been than his competition when he's actually playing... even with missing tournaments and punting big matches due to injury a couple of times (US Open, Montreal).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #2878
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Probably, but the point is more how much better he's been than his competition when he's actually playing... even with missing tournaments and punting big matches due to injury a couple of times (US Open, Montreal).
It's going to be really interesting to see who the ATP names player of the year.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #2879
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

woops, Rafa's knee flared up, out of Paris and questionable for WTF. I know the two senior citizens had an awesome 2017, but some voodoo witch doctor out there's been sticking a whole lot of needles into tennis player dolls, and not even the goats were spared.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #2880
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
woops, Rafa's knee flared up, out of Paris and questionable for WTF. I know the two senior citizens had an awesome 2017, but some voodoo witch doctor out there's been sticking a whole lot of needles into tennis player dolls, and not even the goats were spared.
Brutal he had a great chance to win it its too bad. Since he's already clinched #1 for the year would be interesting to see if he plays WTF. I know his knee was giving him troubles in Shanghai, so might be best to take rest of 2017 off and come back strong in 2018. Imagine how bad the WTF would be if both Nadal and Fed didnt participate lol.