Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #21
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If we beat the Avs, I think we’ll go on a tear.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I do feel that beating them could be a turning point in the team getting their confidence back. We have seen some positive signs of late since the coaching change but against beatable opposition. This is a more of a true test.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #23
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hard to believe, but a win tonight would bump the boys up to 3rd in the Pacific!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
If we lose to the Avs, I will shed a tear.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #25
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Lucic punches Zadarov in the face again, i'll count that as a goal even if he doesn't score.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is the toughest game of the year. The Flames need maximum effort.

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #27
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no denying that the team appears to be trending positively over the past half dozen games or so.

Getting a win tonight would be such a positive and solidifying moment for the team and its fans.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #28
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Av's are 8-2 in their last ten games, definitely one of the top 4 teams in the league this year. Even if we lose, I just want to see we can keep up with their speed, be a close game, and for once not be outshot by 20 in the first period against them.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

How they play is just as important as if they win. If they scratch and claw and walk away with an L, that will be acceptable.

If they go quietly into the night then major question marks still surround the team regarding their mental toughness.

They need to slay this dragon, win or lose. Can't let the Avs live in their heads anymore.

Looch probably needs a two game break anyway; him attacking Zadorov would get the team going.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #30
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boy I would really like to see us make a statement win, just dont think it is in the cards for us
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #31
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This game frightens me. Avs are really good, and I'm guessing they'll likely win the west this year.

Flames need to bring their A game right out of the gate and put in a full 60 minutes if they want a chance in this one. Can't afford to spot these guys an early lead. And even if that does happen, they need to push right back and make a game of it. Just please don't let it snowball like they usually do against the Avs.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #32
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure Zadorov is still dealing with or just recently came back from dealing with a broken jaw. Unlikely he wants anything to do with Lucic tonight.

I've got a good feeling about the game tonight. Flames have been playing quite a bit better lately, and appear to be enjoying themselves. Our goal tending had been solid, and Johnny has looked way more dangerous the last few, which bodes well.

If we can stay out of the penalty box, I like our chances.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
A win tonight would be huge. They really need to slay this demon before they can move forward.
This.

There have been lots of positive signs of late, and I think they've turned the corner regardless - the fact that they're having fun again is key for me - but the Avs are definitely a demon, and one of the primary sources of their funk. Beating these ####ers would be a HUGE confidence boost for the boys.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #34
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
How they play is just as important as if they win. If they scratch and claw and walk away with an L, that will be acceptable.

If they go quietly into the night then major question marks still surround the team regarding their mental toughness.

They need to slay this dragon, win or lose. Can't let the Avs live in their heads anymore.

Looch probably needs a two game break anyway; him attacking Zadorov would get the team going.
I don't think Lucic has to get himself suspended but it should be a goal tonight to do something to Zadorov that gets his focus on Lucic/Rinaldo and not Gaudreau.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #35
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kadri in no contact jersey at Avs morning skate. No Makar, Dater reporting he is hurt and might miss some time.

Grubauer looks like he is good to go.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #36
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they go back to Rittich for tonight or keep Talbot...two tough games on this back-to-back.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #37
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Av's are 8-2 in their last ten games, definitely one of the top 4 teams in the league this year. Even if we lose, I just want to see we can keep up with their speed, be a close game, and for once not be outshot by 20 in the first period against them.
That happened already last month, when the Flames outshot Colorado 13–7 in the first period and yet found themselves down 2–0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #38
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I wonder if they go back to Rittich for tonight or keep Talbot...two tough games on this back-to-back.
If it were up to me, it would be Rittich tonight, and Talbot against the low-scoring desert dogs
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If it were up to me, it would be Rittich tonight, and Talbot against the low-scoring desert dogs
I agree. Rittich is clearly better. Talbot was pretty good last game but IMO he's a level below. I think he has more rebounds, and is more susceptible to long screened shots. Rittich is better at fighting through that stuff.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
This game frightens me. Avs are really good, and I'm guessing they'll likely win the west this year.

Flames need to bring their A game right out of the gate and put in a full 60 minutes if they want a chance in this one. Can't afford to spot these guys an early lead. And even if that does happen, they need to push right back and make a game of it. Just please don't let it snowball like they usually do against the Avs.
The Flames have not yet beaten them this year, but they have played pretty well against Colorado in their last two games. They kept pace with them in the season opener, and lost a one-goal game on the road in one of the NHL's toughest buildings that was sealed with an ENG. They lost another close one-goal game at the Saddledome in which Colorado scored the first two goals.

Getting a win tonight would definitely go a long way to pulling the Flames back to the level they need to be playing, and I tend to think there is some reason for a little optimism going into the game: the Flames have been competitive in their previous two while amid stretches of considerable difficulty. Now that they are playing some of their best hockey of the season, it seems like a good bet they can win this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flams , jobu , picklepicklepicklepickle