Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #21
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Why not 84 games, it's been done before.
Bring back the neutral site games!

Vegas and Quebec City!!!
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #22
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would go with an even 80 games. Could remove a couple of back-to-back games.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:40 PM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a gate driven league. End of story.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:53 PM   #24
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish the NHL season started the day after the Stanley Cup was awarded. Sure it's hard to maintain interest in the NHL, but summer is boring without hockey!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:53 AM   #25
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a gate driven league. End of story.
Chicken and egg.

If you ever want to change that, I think you need to have more meaningful regular season games that can be sold to TV audiences as special things.

Plus it's not like every game is a sellout right now.

I also happen to think that the quality of the game clearly suffers from too many games. Way too many nights over the season one team just doesn't show up to play.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 AM   #26
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I would like to see a schedule of 70 games. Players would be more rested, presumably there would be less injuries.

My schedule also includes a salary and associated ticket cost reduction.
Less games = less supply of games = higher ticket price per game (though seasons tickets might fall). Compare, for instance, the prices of NFL tickets vs. the prices of NHL/NBA tickets vs. the prices of MLB tickets. You want lower prices, increase supply.

Last edited by SebC; 04-11-2015 at 04:49 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #27
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
Before the pitchforks come out, hear me out.

Currently the NHL regular season is 82 games, and has historically been in the 70-82 game range in the past 50 years. One of the immediate thoughts that came out of last night's game (and over the past month) is how much interest is generated when every game is seemingly do or die. Over the course of an 82 game schedule however, there is a significant lull in the season, and interest tends to be low between November and January.

Keeping with the October to April format, would a shorter regular season be more beneficial to keep up interest, and in theory, keep more teams in it longer? Rather than have a game every other night, would a move closer towards football-style week schedules get more people amped for games (especially vs the typical Tuesday night game against Arizona)?

With less games devoted towards the regular season, could the league not coordinate tournaments such as the "World Cup of Hockey" to occur during the season, rather than tacked on during the offseason, further taxing exhausted players who go deep in playoff runs? Or could the league entertain other "club tournaments" where there's a cup championship for all the Canadian teams for example? So, the Canadian teams could be split off into pools and play for a separate trophy, guaranteeing some degree of interest in "playoff-like" elimination games throughout the low points of the season. A tournament in season that sees all Canadian teams play each other for "who's the best" could generate more interest than the once-in-a-decade all-canadian playoff match-up.

In effect, with the above suggestions, the NHL could still have teams play 82 games, but some would not be directly influencing chances at the playoffs.

Discuss.
If you wanted to increase interest you'd keep the end of the season at the same point but move the start forward. With football happening in the fall in the US (Thursday/Sunday/Monday - NFL, Friday - High school, Saturday - College) some teams struggle with attendence early in the year.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody doubts that the quality of play would be higher with a shorter season. Better for players, better for fans. But it would mean less money in the pockets of owners, so it will never happen.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If the basis of the argument is that there is more interest in "do or die" games, then no, changing the schedule will not have an impact in this regard. Games are not "do or die" until the very end of the schedule when teams, well, have to win or they are out. In general, this is really only the final three or four games for a handful of teams. And that would not change in a 70 game season vs. 82.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #30
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Of course a shorter season would improve the quality of play...but owners are never going to agree to less income, nor the players to less salary.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #31
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a hockey nut. I don't want less games at all. Three day breaks from games during the season kill me. Imagine having that between almost all games? No thanks.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada cup , nhl , regular season , world cup of hockey