Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Does Sven have a future with the Flames?

I'm pretty sure it is obvious that the inability to be a difference maker with the amount of ice time given over his past few games, management must not have a lot of faith in Baertschi. Personally, his past three games, he was looking decent out there but I do agree that now that Raymond and Stajan are back, he's the first to go back to the A.

The question now is that does he have a future? He doesn't have a lot of trade value to give a good return. Should he go back to the AHL and take a bit of time to re-develop and get his confidence back. I still believe he is a great player with tremendous amount of skill but I've never thought he was NHL ready and really hoped that they left him in the AHL for at least a full season to grow a bit. Being it is his last year of his entry level, I'd be interested to see other peoples perspectives on this on what is best for him and the Flames.
smiggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes, I think so.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. Just because that future isn't now, doesn't mean it won't happen someday. Maybe next Monday that future begins. Maybe in March. Maybe next September, or March 2016. Different players learn and adapt at different rates. Just because one guy takes longer doesn't mean he won't become an NHL player.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had Sven been seasoned in the AHL last year instead of getting sent down 1/3 into the NHL season, I guarantee he would have been a better player than what he is right now. Just look at how well Jooris and Granlund have adapted to the NHL level because of playing a full season there.

Sven is a year behind on development because management rushed him in the NHL when he clearly wasn't ready. I have no doubt he'll be a better player once he plays a while longer down in Adirondack.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

part of me thinks that he may need to be traded to get a fresh start, and if the flames make that trade it will look bad for them, as he will blossom somewhere else.

i then tell myself he is only twenty something, and the flames should stay teh course with him.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
calgary2220
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I still think he needs to go back to the farm and develop his game further. Extend him for 1 year and see what happens.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Yes. Just because that future isn't now, doesn't mean it won't happen someday. Maybe next Monday that future begins. Maybe in March. Maybe next September, or March 2016. Different players learn and adapt at different rates. Just because one guy takes longer doesn't mean he won't become an NHL player.
Agreed, I mean future as a flame tho, not as an NHL player. I think he possesses the skill to be an NHLer, just needs to learn and grow a bit more.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Backlund had a future with the Flames, despite taking 6 years to come into his own as a player, then yes, Sven can have a future with the Flames too.

(Sven has only had 3 to this point)
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yes.

While I think he will go down in the near future, he has to know the decision is based on the fact that he's been out worked during his time here. He'll go play top 6 minutes in Adirondack and hopefully find his scoring again.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'll get back into the "speculation prove it arguments" with Sven that always happen around here, but I agree with you. Former management rushed him for sure. But I don't think we can gloss over the fact that it's also at least been hinted at that Sven also didn't embrace his earlier assignments to the AHL as well as some of the other who have now passed him on the depth chart did (partially because of him being rushed). So there also has to be some level or portion of accountability on Sven for the fact that he's further behind than he maybe could have been. And in answer to the question, yes, there still is a future for him on this team, when that comes who knows, but he's actually played quite well this call up. Problem is, almost everyone else has played amazing, and certainly better than he did.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not the one he wants. There are too many guys in front of him. If he wants to be a 3rd or 4th line guy then he could possibly have a future with the Flames.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, if he can get back to making those beautiful saucer passes like those he was dishing for a few games there, then he'll be back much sooner than later.

I see this as Calgary's Nazem Kadri situation.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see it. I think he ends up getting traded in a package for a D prospect. Not that I want to see him go, I just don't see where he fits in.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

He needs to slot in on the wings of the Top 9 (6 spots) and beat out his competition:

1. Raymond
2. Jones
3. Glencross
4. Hudler
5. Gaudreau
6. Colborne
7. Ferland
8. Baertschi
9. Poirier

It's there for him, he just needs to produce.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why he didn't become a permanant NHL resident on his first try boils down to maturity. Some guys mature quickly, some guys don't.

Look at Monahan and how well he did in his rookie year as an 18/19 year old and listen to the many comments about how mature he is for his age. Compare Monahan to Baertschi who has struggled to make the team permanently and look at how he has reacted. Nobody has outright said, "He's immature" but it is implied when people talk about how he handled demotions.

This go around he's shown more maturity, now he has to learn to take it to the next step. He is learning and growing and once he has it figured out he'll be a good NHL player.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe!

I'd almost like to send him to some really low level league for a month or two to really crush opponents and get his mojo back. Sometimes I think Sven has forgotten to try to push the pace of play, which I think was his best quality in junior.

I think it's interesting how he was so dominant in the AHL a couple years ago. I really wonder if it's possible for him to get back to that playstyle.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If Backlund had a future with the Flames, despite taking 6 years to come into his own as a player, then yes, Sven can have a future with the Flames too.

(Sven has only had 3 to this point)
good point, but Backlund was more injury plagued than anything. I'm more worried that Baertschi is following a trend similar to Nemisz. That being said, they are two totally different players and I definitely think Baertschi has a ton more skill than Nemisz did.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #18
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Also, if he can get back to making those beautiful saucer passes like those he was dishing for a few games there, then he'll be back much sooner than later.

I see this as Calgary's Nazem Kadri situation.
and this is why I love this forum. Never thought of it like that. I was more thinking a Nemisz situation but very true, it does follow similar trends to Kadri.
The Following User Says Thank You to smiggy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #19
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've always thought so, and been a staunch defender of his.
I do think the organization completely mishandled him and it had a severe impact on his game for whatever reason.
He hasn't been given much, if any, PP time to try and gain confidence, and has had little impact on the ice.
But at this point others have surpassed him and it seems less and less likely to me that he will ever make it with the Flames...
If he fails to make an impact in Adirondack this time around; I fear his time is up
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

With him being passed by Johnny, Jooris, Ferland, Granlund I do think he is on the way out. I have been very unimpressed with him this year.

I don't really want to trade him because his value is low and his upside is high but he hasn't done anything to deserve more than he has got this year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:

Tags
ahl , baertschi , flames , nhl