Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [Rumour] Canucks/Abbotsford/Heat Ongoing Saga

Might as well start this thread considering we're probably going to hear a lot of news about this topic starting in March/April/May.

Here's an article from today written by Dan Kinvig:

Aquilini, on chances of Canucks farm team moving to Abbotsford: Ask Mayor Banman

Quote:
Speaking with videographer Kevin MacDonald prior to a game between the Abbotsford Heat and the Utica Comets (see video above), the Canucks' co-owner was asked if there was any chance the Vancouver farm team might eventually end up playing out of the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre.

"I don't know – you've got to ask this gentleman right here," Aquilini said with a chuckle, gesturing to Abbotsford mayor Bruce Banman, who was accompanying him through the back entrance of the arena. "This is the guy to talk to.

"It's a great arena, great market. There's 800,000 people in this (Fraser Valley) area, so you know, Calgary got in at the right time."
Quote:
Speaking with the News after the Comets' 3-2 win, Banman downplayed the notion that his interaction with Aquilini signaled that negotiations are ongoing, and chuckled at Aquilini's smiling assertion that the Canucks affiliate's potential arrival was up to the Abbotsford mayor.

"The mayor doesn't have a magic wand," he said.

"There's always hope, but to be honest with you, he (Aquilini) was just here to watch his team and see how his farm team's doing.

"There are not talks ongoing with the Canucks, other than we were just talking about hockey in general. But you never know. I believe that it's always good to be friendly, and they didn't know where their suite was . . . so I took them to their suite and showed them their way."
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not share the arena??

Think it would be possible PMM?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

Not a chance.

Sharing facilities would impossible. Only one big dressing room, one coach's office, one training room, etc.

The Heat don't even have enough room for the college kids when their season is over in March/April.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

This article is a couple of years old now, but another point of view is that the contract with the Heat is illegal:

Legal opinion claims Abbotsford Heat deal not in compliance with Community Charter

Quote:
Abbotsford council candidate Vince Dimanno hired the legal firm of Yearwood & Company, located in Port Kells, to perform a review of the agreement. Lawyer Andrew Rebane has produced a legal opinion stating the Heat deal is in contravention of the Community Charter.

“It is my view that the contract does not comply with the requirements of the Community Charter, simply because the city failed to get approval from the electorate before entering into the contract,” said Rebane.
Quote:
“Can Fraser Valley Sports and Entertainment (the Heat) sue the city, or would the city be able to demand the funds back ... That’s opening up the Pandora’s Box, so to speak.”

Dimanno has sent a copy of the legal opinion and an accompanying letter to B.C. Premiere Christy Clark, the attorney general, the solicitor general, and the minister of community development, requesting the province review the information and uphold the charter.

“It’s my contention that the province created the Community Charter so it’s up to them to enforce it,” said Dimanno.

“I don’t think it’s my responsibility to bring this before a judge – it’s the province’s responsibility.”
Old 11-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:

added to what PMM said...
Abbotsford would never support two teams, not in fan support, advertising, media coverage... And the flames have stated they are not interested in sharing an affiliate. They want 100% control of player development.
Abbotsford will be the Canucks affiliate, it's just a matter of when and how.
Too bad Abbotsford wasn't more embracing of the heat, it's a great arena, great city and has great proximity to Calgary.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
This article is a couple of years old now, but another point of view is that the contract with the Heat is illegal:

Legal opinion claims Abbotsford Heat deal not in compliance with Community Charter
PMM, is this still something council is still pursuing? Being a couple of years old, I'd imagine it would have played out by now had they been. ???
Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
PMM, is this still something council is still pursuing? Being a couple of years old, I'd imagine it would have played out by now had they been. ???
I was talking to a local newspaper guy last night and he was saying that no one wants to put out the legal costs to challenge the contract. It would take the Aquilini's money to challenge it.

That's all I've heard. Either way, there's a "review clause" at the 5-year mark of the contract. I would imagine there's going to be a lot of discussion between King, the city and Aquilini after this season is done.

What confuses me is Aquilini signed with Utica for two years...

EDIT - Sorry, didn't really answer your question, but in summary, no, city council doesn't seem to be pursuing this anymore. At least not to my knowledge.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 11-30-2013 at 06:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figure the Canucks will offer the Flames a chunk of money to walk away from the deal.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish the heat were playing in calgary this season
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I figure the Canucks will offer the Flames a chunk of money to walk away from the deal.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From what I understand, the issue is not between the Canucks and Flames, it's between the Canucks and Abby. Aquaman wants the same sweetheart deal the Flames have.

I know it wouldn't bode well for the WHL, but I'd like to see the Heat in Lethbridge or Red Deer, and another affiliate in Saskatoon. 5-6000 fans per game shouldn't be a problem. The Canucks can have Abby.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to metroneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not even sure that the Canuck's farm team would be successful in Abbotsford. I think it's at a point where there's too much events in Vancouver as is. You have the Canucks, Lions, Whitecaps, Canadiens and the Giants.. I think the team being another team's affiliate is only a part of the reason. They might draw a bit more than they are now but if they play on the same day as the Canucks or on a weekday they'll have trouble gaining consistent numbers. People will most likely go to a Canucks game instead of driving to Abbotsford especially now that you have to pay to cross the bridge.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
I'm not even sure that the Canuck's farm team would be successful in Abbotsford. I think it's at a point where there's too much events in Vancouver as is. You have the Canucks, Lions, Whitecaps, Canadiens and the Giants.. I think the team being another team's affiliate is only a part of the reason. They might draw a bit more than they are now but if they play on the same day as the Canucks or on a weekday they'll have trouble gaining consistent numbers. People will most likely go to a Canucks game instead of driving to Abbotsford especially now that you have to pay to cross the bridge.
Vancouver and Abbotsford are different cities. You have to take a highway an hour to get from Vancouver to Abbotsford, there are no transit links other than a greyhound bus.

There is probably like a 10 person draw from Vancouver to the Heat games. You have to be crazy dedicated to go to a hockey game, not drink, and drive home in the rain for an hour at 10:30pm.

I feel like having the Canucks team there is brilliant, and the place would fill easily. The only downside is we'd lose our insider info from freeway and pierre and drury et al

It is not a doable commute for anyone who lives in Vancouver, where an AHL affiliate might not be so successful.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
From what I understand, the issue is not between the Canucks and Flames, it's between the Canucks and Abby. Aquaman wants the same sweetheart deal the Flames have.

I know it wouldn't bode well for the WHL, but I'd like to see the Heat in Lethbridge or Red Deer, and another affiliate in Saskatoon. 5-6000 fans per game shouldn't be a problem. The Canucks can have Abby.
Can't see Lethbridge working at all.

They struggle to draw for the WHL team that has a long history in the city and is more appealing to follow.

Plus, Lethbridge is not a strong Flames town so the draw of it being a Flames farm team isn't really going to have much of an impact at the box office.

I don't know enough about Red Deer or Saskatoon but I can't see the AHL being successful in going to a town with a WHL team already in it and can't see why a town/ownership group would want to get rid of the WHL for the AHL.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Vancouver and Abbotsford are different cities. You have to take a highway an hour to get from Vancouver to Abbotsford, there are no transit links other than a greyhound bus.

There is probably like a 10 person draw from Vancouver to the Heat games. You have to be crazy dedicated to go to a hockey game, not drink, and drive home in the rain for an hour at 10:30pm.

I feel like having the Canucks team there is brilliant, and the place would fill easily. The only downside is we'd lose our insider info from freeway and pierre and drury et al

It is not a doable commute for anyone who lives in Vancouver, where an AHL affiliate might not be so successful.
Well, to make things unbearable, imagine them moving to Lethbridge. We replace those posters giving us updates in exchange for Moon's keen insights:

Knight: He sucks
Ferland: He sucks
Granlund: He sucks
etc.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually I'd be good with Lethbridge or Red Deer. I'm actually Alberta based. They move to Red Deer, I'm probably there in person easily twice a month.

However I'm no PMM so that would be a huge negative of them moving from Abbotsford.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Can't see Lethbridge working at all.

They struggle to draw for the WHL team that has a long history in the city and is more appealing to follow.

Plus, Lethbridge is not a strong Flames town so the draw of it being a Flames farm team isn't really going to have much of an impact at the box office.

I don't know enough about Red Deer or Saskatoon but I can't see the AHL being successful in going to a town with a WHL team already in it and can't see why a town/ownership group would want to get rid of the WHL for the AHL.
The only hitch I could see with Red Deer would be that Sutter owns the team and I don't know if he would be all for sharing/moving the team for anything associated with the Flames.

I do think they would do okay drawing a crowd. Currently, the Rebels have 81% capacity at games (http://www.hockeyattendance.com/team...r-rebels/2013/). They do get a good crowd as Red Deer is a good sized city and you have easy access via Highway 2 and 11 from a number of other small towns maybe 30 minutes away.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The Heat being in Saskatoon would be awesome. There are alot of Flames fans in that city.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do Lethbridge and Medicine Hat have International Airports? Cause I think that is one of the big appeals of Abbotsford.

I think Edmonton is probably the best destination. They have an International Airport and the city is dying for a winning professional ice hockey team like the Heat.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #20
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Do Lethbridge and Medicine Hat have International Airports? Cause I think that is one of the big appeals of Abbotsford.

I think Edmonton is probably the best destination. They have an International Airport and the city is dying for a winning professional ice hockey team like the Heat.
Only Calgary and Edmonton have international airports in Alberta.

Tags
abbotsford , canucks , heat