Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #61
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think some of you are nuts for watching them mail it in down the stretch. All it does is infuriate you and its not even vaguely entertaining.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #62
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

The Isles are so going to win the draft lottery
Old 03-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #63
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know a coach firing probably wont be until the off season, hopefully the day the off season starts, but who else would like to see the team play at least a couple games this season without GG behind the bench? Just have Gelinas And Conroy behind the bench and let the guys play, activate the D.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #64
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Marty DiBergi:
The review for "Shark Sandwich" was merely a two word review which simply read "#### Sandwich".
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #65
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I know a coach firing probably wont be until the off season, hopefully the day the off season starts, but who else would like to see the team play at least a couple games this season without GG behind the bench? Just have Gelinas And Conroy behind the bench and let the guys play, activate the D.
I certainly wouldn't wait until the offseason either. This is not a tank mission where you can afford to wait because the losses don't actually hurt. Fire the coaching staff and let Conroy handle the last games, it certainly can't get any worse at this point.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #66
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I personally don't trust BT at the helm of this team, a lot of his player acquisitions have left me convinced that he does not have much of an eye for talent. On top of that his hand picked addition of Gulutzan to lead this team has left me extremely skeptical.

Stewart
Shore
Lack
Hamonic
Smith
Lazar
Stone
Shinkaruk
B. Elliot
Dougie Hamilton
Bollig

Hamilton is the only piece that stands out. Hamonic has been OK and Smith was great early on but since the All Star break has been below average, and are both currently core pieces on a team that is in 20th place overall.

I just don't see enough there to convince me otherwise.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #67
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm embarrassed that I had hope when there were about 20 games left. Wtf was I thinking?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #68
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I certainly wouldn't wait until the offseason either. This is not a tank mission where you can afford to wait because the losses don't actually hurt. Fire the coaching staff and let Conroy handle the last games, it certainly can't get any worse at this point.
Yup, flush the coaches and let the players know that their level of play is unacceptable and the rest of the games will determine their roles moving forward.

Guarantee their give a crap meter goes up a few notches then.

What I expect though is more lip service from coaches and management while the team limps off onto the sunset.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #69
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Do the players not care enough, or do they just not have enough belief in themselves as a team?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
MikePatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #70
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently, the Flames identity is to have copious amounts of low percentage shots and lose.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #71
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

What sport were the Flames playing?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #72
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So GG is at fault for the players packing it in last 5 games .
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #73
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Yes. When you have a bad manager your performance is naturally going to go south. When leadership has no clue, and they are the ones defining strategy and objectives for you to meet, the fault clearly lands on the head of the guy plotting that strategy.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #74
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #75
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I personally don't trust BT at the helm of this team, a lot of his player acquisitions have left me convinced that he does not have much of an eye for talent. On top of that his hand picked addition of Gulutzan to lead this team has left me extremely skeptical.

Stewart
Shore
Lack
Hamonic
Smith
Lazar
Stone
Shinkaruk
B. Elliot
Dougie Hamilton
Bollig

Hamilton is the only piece that stands out. Hamonic has been OK and Smith was great early on but since the All Star break has been below average, and are both currently core pieces on a team that is in 20th place overall.

I just don't see enough there to convince me otherwise.
Stewart - depth waiver claim, free asset, nobody with a brain had any grand expectations of him

Shore - Hard to judge as he hasn't played very often. Personally felt he was an upgrade on the bottom 6 that should have been utilized more

Lack - didn't have a lot of options for the backup position, FA wise. Unless he was ready to trust one of the youngsters in the system, which in retrospect it looks like Rittich was ready for an opportunity.

Hamonic - after adapting has lived up to his billing. Talent assessment is fine, paying a first and two seconds while not lottery protecting the former was an oversight.

Smith - arguably the MVP of the team up until the All Star break. Should have been better in the stretch, but was injured.

Lazar - completely under utilized by the coaching staff. Was worth the risk at the time, and has shown signs he plays very consistently when he's given a proper role.

Stone - not sure why he's included, he's played well. Elevated Brodie's game last season, well above average option for the third pairing.

Shinkaruk - meh. Didn't cost the team anything they couldn't afford to give up.

Elliott - again, the best at the price the Flames were able to offer. We all knew what his tendencies were, and we all rode that rollercoaster during the season right into the nosedive in the playoffs.

Dougie Hamilton - amazing trade. Secured a top 2 right handed defenseman for years to come.

Bollig - agreed, didn't get it then and don't get it now.

I don't think Treliving has any problem with talent assessment, I think he just misjudged the real needs of the roster and the culture of the locker room.

My biggest issue is that the "process" led to a decision that included Glen Gulutzan and Dave Cameron. Yikes and double yikes.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #76
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
he's at the very least a substantial part of the problem. There's just no way a Flames supporter can look at this season and say "yeah, I have confidence that the guy behind the bench is doing a great job and should be back next season". That's not to say that the players don't deserve a ton of blame - they certainly do. But a fish rots from the head down.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #77
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
On the plus side, they may be Houston’s problem soon.
Then bugger off! Seriously, what kind of Flames fan sees that as a positive?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #78
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm embarrassed that I had hope when there were about 20 games left. Wtf was I thinking?
You are not alone. I really thought they’d get it together. Hell, I went to battle with the negative Nancies in the game threads and the ‘fire Gulutzan’ posters. I feel more than a little foolish now.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #79
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

Sure the players have quit at this point, which sucks but kind of makes sense given the letdown. Your take is super interesting, though I have a different view. I think GG’s system is terrible.

The system results in a ton of low percentage SOGs that support the coach’s view of a possession based system. His breakout is either a flip to center ice or a hard rim to a guy who’s standing still at the opposing blue line. The D’s gap is horrible because he wants them to quickly retrieve pucks and flip them out, which results in teams walking in with speed and scoring at will. He wants fwds to get setup in the offensive zone because he doesn’t want to risk turnovers, which completely stifles the team’s best assets, which are active D, creativity off the rush and quick transitions. Don’t even get me started on the power play.

He has been forcing this system when it clearly doesn’t work. There is a reason Hartley caught lightning in a bucket, because for better or for worse, his system encouraged D activation, quick transition and tight gap control. He wanted the D to get pucks to the forwards fast, move up as a unit and score off the rush. Basically the complete opposite of GG’s system. And guess what, it worked.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #80
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely it is.

Was this a serious question?