Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default GM Meetings: Vegas likely exempt from next expansion draft, $78-$82m cap next season

Quote:
The Golden Knights aren’t likely to be part of the Seattle process at all, according to a source.

There’s no reason to expect them to be put in position to lose a player because they’re not going to be sharing in the $650-million fee the Oak View Group will be asked to pay if/when the NHL accepts its expansion application. That was part of the deal the league struck with Golden Knights owner Bill Foley when he was granted the 31st franchise.

Quote:
Any GM facing a cap crunch left the Boca Beach Club feeling a little better about his situation. The NHL is projecting that the upper limit of next year’s salary cap will fall between $78 million and $82 million.

And the draft lottery odds are changing slightly.

Quote:
In the meantime, the NHL is set to introduce new odds for next month’s draft lottery.

Pending NHLPA approval, GMs were told that the last-place finisher will now have an 18.5 per cent chance of landing the No. 1 pick – up from 18 per cent last year (when Vegas was introduced), but down from the 20 per cent chance the Toronto Maple Leafs enjoyed after finishing last in the 2015-16 season.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...seattle-draft/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I am Vegas, I would rather lose a player than losing on a share of the $650-million expansion fee...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who cares about the money? What about competitive balance

####ing Vegas has more assets than most of the league and won't have to give up a player? Division rival too

FMITA
Old 03-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You know, having Seattle start in 2020 at first didn't really make a lot of sense to me because of the lockout but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense because each will get $22 million US thanks to the Seattle team and it should help fund the half season they're all going to miss due to the lockout.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Vegas will be doing just fine financially for a long while. They got off to a hot start and out of town fans will keep the building packed even if the knights play falls off.

I get the business side of things, the deal is what it is. But, as far as on ice parity goes, it’s hard for every team to dilute their roster while the top team in the pacific (currently) stands pat.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote