Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #1141
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
reading back what Treliving said in the postseason interview a year ago, he clearly thought the the best teams are build around center. He then goes out and stockpiles the D.

The particularly concerning is the quote below, where he said, that he expects young guys in the middle of the ice to grow into key roles. He clearly expected Bennett to blossom into a top-six center this season. The problem is that Bennett is not even a center, but rather an LW. This is just like Feaster signed Cervenka to play center, except that Feaster did not spend 4th overall for it. Treliving was trusted with the highest pick in the Flames history and he couldn't even project, what position his pick will play in the NHL.

"I'll never be convinced that the middle of the ice isn't where the championship teams are built. We're getting there by putting it on the backs of young guys in key roles."

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/trel...18/c-288977518
I posted at the beginning of the season that their entire plan rested on Bennett and Jagr both being 20+ goal scorers.

Bennett on pace to finish with 12. From the Wing.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #1142
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs down

Important final 7 games for the Flames. If they lose out they will have the exact same record over the GG years as they did over the last 2 seasons under Hartley. Difference being we are down a 1st, four 2nds, two 3rds, a 5th and a 7th round pick to get to that point. Any win we get down the stretch will mean we will be one point better over the final two years of the BT regime compared to the first 2 years.

If we can go 4-3 down the stretch the GG years can be as successful as the Brent Sutter years six years ago. Plenty to play for as the Flames wind down another season.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-24-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Forgot the 2nd for Lazar
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #1143
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Important final 7 games for the Flames. If they lose out they will have the exact same record over the GG years as they did over the last 2 seasons under Hartley. Difference being we are down a 1st, three 2nds, two 3rds, a 5th and a 7th round pick to get to that point. Any win we get down the stretch will mean we will be one point better over the final two years of the BT regime compared to the first 2 years.

If we can go 4-3 down the stretch the GG years can be as successful as the Brent Sutter years six years ago. Plenty to play for as the Flames wind down another season.
Another difference being that Hartley had the team at the beginning of a rebuild when the core wasn't as established as it is now. The team should be better now just in terms of natural growth. Add to that like you said, the mortgaging of the future, and this season is a net negative for the Treliving regime.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #1144
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am starting to worry about giving Backlund that new contract. He is now the Stajan 2.0 and trending toward Brouwer 2.0 with the steep decline in production and the money and term he is going to get...
Old 03-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #1145
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I am starting to worry about giving Backlund that new contract. He is now the Stajan 2.0 and trending toward Brouwer 2.0 with the steep decline in production and the money and term he is going to get...

Didn't like the contract when announced. I wish they had traded him at deadline and told him that if he wanted to come back in off season flames would be open to it.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #1146
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Didn't like the contract when announced. I wish they had traded him at deadline and told him that if he wanted to come back in off season flames would be open to it.
He's going to be difficult to deal now as he's got only a 10-team list on his NTC.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #1147
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
You mean Backlund is a third line player and should have been paid as such? Who could have possible have seen this coming??? There is no way he is a second line player. This was as obvious as the nose on Tim Hunter's face. Too bad not many of the fans, or the guy in the GM chair, could see the obvious in front of their faces. The Fames have a bad contract on their hands they won't be able to get out from underneath, and it hasn't even kicked in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #1148
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames fans have to be some of the most loyal customers in sports. What this team has delivered since 1989 has to be considered beyond attrious.

Fire the whole lot - GM, President of Hockey Operations, and the entire coaching staff, every last one of them. Search for an established well respected GM that is not a dinasour, understands how the game is evolving and put a plan in place to give this team an actual identity.

Do we want a fast and skilled team? A hard working punishing team? I'm just frustrated as a fan since things never seem to change. Perhaps the Flames should sacrifice a goat on center ice like they did in Kazakhstan.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #1149
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I posted at the beginning of the season that their entire plan rested on Bennett and Jagr both being 20+ goal scorers.

Bennett on pace to finish with 12. From the Wing.
That is why they were bending over backwards to use Bennett at center. And why Jankowski was sent down at start of the year. They needed him to develop at that center to have a realistic hope of being a contender. That would have turned Backlund or Jankowski into trade chips too.

Alas not to be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #1150
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't sold on Backlund for anything more than 3 years. Wasn't sure why so many were applauding it immediately after.

After carrying a line for what was possibly his career season, he's been more or less carried/dragged offensively by Tkachuk, and even moreso Frolik.

I'm not jumping up and down at the prospect of another 6 years unless he's pushed down to the third center role. He'd be fine to good there with his usual level of play and probably win the matchup most nights. I really think we should look to upgrade the 2nd line center position though, and get someone there that can finish a little better and exhibit top 6 skill.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #1151
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t like it either. Quite frankly I think he’s totally overrated (please remember that overrated doesn’t mean bad, I do like Backlund) on this board. He doesn’t put up the offensive numbers to justify that kind of money in my opinion.

That said, I think he’s good enough that he won’t become Brouwer, but he’s overpaid by about a million bucks/year.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #1152
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were pretty much forced to re-sign Backlund.

The organization doesn't have enough centre depth to just let him walk and we got him for less than he would have got on the FA market.

You let him walk and you're overpaying for someone else as a FA in July or you trade Brodie for a 2nd line C when we need to use that asset for wing help.
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #1153
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Important final 7 games for the Flames. If they lose out they will have the exact same record over the GG years as they did over the last 2 seasons under Hartley. Difference being we are down a 1st, four 2nds, two 3rds, a 5th and a 7th round pick to get to that point. Any win we get down the stretch will mean we will be one point better over the final two years of the BT regime compared to the first 2 years.

Holy ####, that really puts it into perspective. It would be nice if there was a way to get this little bit of information into the owners line of sight. What the hell do you expect putting someone with limited experience into the position of general manager.
The way Murray Edwards runs Canadian Natural Resources it's no wonder the Flames suck. He is one greedy bastard!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #1154
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
We were pretty much forced to re-sign Backlund.

The organization doesn't have enough centre depth to just let him walk and we got him for less than he would have got on the FA market.

You let him walk and you're overpaying for someone else as a FA in July or you trade Brodie for a 2nd line C when we need to use that asset for wing help.
Yeah Treliving was backed in a corner here and we do know he tried earlier to upgrade on Backlund with Turris and Duchene (plan A) so signing Backlund to this deal was probably plan B while plan C would have been trading Backlund at the deadline to get back a first round pick. Backlund is at least useful without the puck so even if he's a 35-40 point player at least he's not likely to be a black hole like Brouwer.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #1155
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing keeps bugging me. Why was Treliving going all in acquiring Hamonic using valuable picks when soon after he tells the media he doesn’t know where the scoring is going to come from...
Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #1156
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
One thing keeps bugging me. Why was Treliving going all in acquiring Hamonic using valuable picks when soon after he tells the media he doesn’t know where the scoring is going to come from...
Because there was a rare opportunity to acquire another young right handed defensemen with term.

Who specifically asked to be traded to Western Canada... you take him or you play against him for the next 3 seasons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #1157
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
The Hamonic deal is only a mistake because the team didn't make the playoffs... it's not like that deal had to guarantee a cup, or anything... he's young and has term, so it's by no means a 'rental' type deal.

With a top tier NHL coach, this team is a playoff team, I can't be convinced otherwise.

Treliving has made several errors, sure (Brouwer, 3-goalies, maybe Bennett), but every GM makes mistakes... the biggest one, though (and a head scratcher from the outset) was hiring GG.

And, just as mind boggling ... Why is GG still coaching the team?!?!?!

I get that it's NOT an ideal time to find a new coach, but my goodness, it's been obvious for quite some time that GG is NOT the guy, moving forward... why not put in an interim guy (like Conroy, maybe) and hope for a hot streak??

At the very least, why not 3 games ago when it was clear the team needed to pretty much run the table to get in?!?!... why roll over and play dead if you're gonna let the coach go in the off-season, anyway?!?!

I just don't understand why GG is still here, and that's what worries me most about BT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.

Last edited by PlayfulGenius; 03-25-2018 at 10:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PlayfulGenius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #1158
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Ya I’d like to give most of this group a shot under a better coach. Gulutzan does not know how to coach
Old 03-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #1159
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah Treliving was backed in a corner here and we do know he tried earlier to upgrade on Backlund with Turris and Duchene (plan A) so signing Backlund to this deal was probably plan B while plan C would have been trading Backlund at the deadline to get back a first round pick. Backlund is at least useful without the puck so even if he's a 35-40 point player at least he's not likely to be a black hole like Brouwer.
-20 on the year and -10 since the contract ... useful for whom when without the puck?

He will get other teams in cap trouble by making their players look better?
Old 03-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #1160
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

GG will be here next year, count on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread