Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #921
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was some beautiful tennis from Denis today. What a treat to watch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #922
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great rally...

https://twitter.com/user/status/977576037201494016
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #923
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Kinda felt like he was playing himself in that second set. The only time the other guy was touching him was when his service game was off.

He really has all the tools to be a big star, I hope he avoids the Genie path and doesn't get too invested in all the off court stuff - imagine he's at a stage where lots of sponsors and event organizers are coming at him non stop.
It's a bit unfair of me to say this regarding Genie, since I don't think she's unusual for young, pretty women, but Shapovalov seems (from a distance) to be a lot less inward focused. Especially after that incident at the Davis Cup. Seems to have an easier time seeing beyond the end of his nose.

That said, and somewhat interestingly, he's already supplanted Raonic as the coverboy for the Rogers Cup.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #924
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with Shapovalov is that this is a very different year than last year in terms of expectations. Last year, he could do no wrong. There was no real pressure. Anything he accomplished was a plus. Now, this year, he has to back up what he did accomplish. He has to win some matches in Montreal, for one thing. For me, it would feel like a bit of a disappointment if he didn't finish the year top 40, and top 30 seems achievable. But that's pressure. We'll see how he deals with it.

In terms of his development, he seems to be really working hard on his play at net (good area to focus on) and it's showed. He's coming in a lot now and I suspect if you looked at his success rate last year versus now, it would be a significant uptick. That side of his game is going to be crucial to any success he has, along with being more consistent on his serve. The other thing I think he needs to work on is footwork, he's sometimes a step behind or off-balance when on the defensive, in spite of having pretty decent speed that should get him in position to get balls back in play with some pace. Instead, you see him reaching a lot.

Lots of room to go, but plenty of reason to think he can make it there. Will be fun to see how it goes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #925
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Top 40 will be interesting. He's basically got nothing but free points until the tour heads to London for a month. Needs to pull out as many wins as he can now, as 60% of his current rankings points are dropping off between mid-June and mid-August.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #926
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Kinda felt like he was playing himself in that second set. The only time the other guy was touching him was when his service game was off.

He really has all the tools to be a big star, I hope he avoids the Genie path and doesn't get too invested in all the off court stuff - imagine he's at a stage where lots of sponsors and event organizers are coming at him non stop.
Kournikova syndrome, plain and simple. Shapo will never pose for a swimsuit spread, regularly post racy pictures on Instagram for a legion of gawkers, or be asked to do a twirl by the post match interviewer in front of his "Shapo Army". It's uniquely a female athlete issue, and it's too bad Genie allowed it to wreck what should have at least been a modestly successful career.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #927
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching the doubles team of Chung/Shapovalov win their match over Dzumhur/Krajinovic (Dzumhur eliminated twice by Shapo today). I don't know how much of this doubles team we'll see in the future as both guys have a bright future in singles, but they looked like a fine team today.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #928
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Federer has been dispatched by Kokkinakis. Nice chance for the Canadians to go on a bit of a run.

https://twitter.com/user/status/977676445635006466
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #929
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with Fed skipping the French Open should we all save ourselves 2 weeks and just hand the trophy over to Rafa?
Old 03-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #930
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/977913500868710400
Old 03-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #931
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cilic takes the opening set 7-5 - Vasek is right there with him, Cilic is doing nothing special, Pops is just not winning the big points/missing shots.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #932
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So just spitballing here... how would it be if the ATP instituted a headhunting rule where any time you beat a player ranked at least 5 places higher than you, you get 10% of their rankings points? Doesn't even matter how many rankings points they have. If you knock out a guy with 8000 points and you're ranked 30th, you get 800 of them. Maybe you just had a good day on the court that leads to you shooting up the standings temporarily, but that just renders you vulnerable to having the same happen to you at the hands of someone suddenly ranked behind you.

What am I missing that makes this a bad idea? For one thing it might prevent some guys from entering tourneys and retiring, but also it just seems like fun...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #933
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, that's why they have challenges Vasek, that ball was out. Thankfully, no damage was done as he did hold serve.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #934
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, what a rally and fantastic winner by Vasek.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #935
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

From love-40 down to winning five straight points and a second set tie-breaker is next.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #936
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darn it, Cilic wins 7-5 7-6(4). I'm sure Vasek is disappointed, but one takeaway from this match should be that his game is in pretty good shape and he should continue to rise up the rankings.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #937
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Delpo makes short work of Kei Nishikori today...Set scores were 6-2 6-2
Old 03-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #938
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So just spitballing here... how would it be if the ATP instituted a headhunting rule where any time you beat a player ranked at least 5 places higher than you, you get 10% of their rankings points? Doesn't even matter how many rankings points they have. If you knock out a guy with 8000 points and you're ranked 30th, you get 800 of them. Maybe you just had a good day on the court that leads to you shooting up the standings temporarily, but that just renders you vulnerable to having the same happen to you at the hands of someone suddenly ranked behind you.

What am I missing that makes this a bad idea? For one thing it might prevent some guys from entering tourneys and retiring, but also it just seems like fun...
The old system in the 90s had bonus points for beating players of the following rankings and double that in grand slams. However I think the complaint was that mid-level players would sometimes tank to help their buddies.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #939
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well my version certainly solves that problem, because you're literally stealing points from your opponent.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #940
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

It's interesting, I'll give you that, but I don't think the top players would go for it as seeding for the majors as well as the year end tour final event could be dramatically impacted by a couple of off days.
Closed Thread