Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'd be remiss if I didn't brag about the A-Team and The Infernos playing my basement one time when my mom was out of town. Shout out if you were there...thanks for not trashing my house. And to the guy who got a BJ in my travel trailer...sorry for busting in on you haha.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #22
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
System of a Down played the Dome? I had no idea. I'm suuuper late to the party on that band. Only got into them a few years ago. Knew nothing about them prior to that. That's a downer I missed that.
Twice in like 6 months. Only times they’ve played here I think.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #23
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Metallica
ACDC
System of a Down
Ozzy
Slash with Myles Kennedy at the grey eagle...that dude is the most under rated singer of all time

Last edited by dino7c; 12-24-2021 at 11:04 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #24
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pearl Jam at Austin City Limits

White Stripes on their final Canadian tour. Epic show.

My Morning Jacket. Anytime I get to see them live it’s an absolute treat, one of the best live bands still going.

Alabama Shakes were also fantastic. Brittany Howard is a generational talent.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pink Floyd
Metallica
David Bowie
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #26
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best Concert was the KISS reunion tour. I loved KISS growing up so this was a blast. Peter and Ace back, full makeup. It was great.
Honorable Mentions: Gord Downie private function. 100 people in a basement.

Dave Mathews in Vancouver.
Pink in Vancouver. Not a big fan, but the show itself was pretty amazing.

Worst Concert was the KISS animalize tour. It was at the Kinsmen field house. General seating. -20 out and they weren't letting anyone in. Concert started late. KISS band members were hammered.

Last edited by bossy22; 12-24-2021 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added a couple
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #27
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

4b. Royal Blood and Queens of the Stone Age, Saddledome
4a. Foo Fighters, Saddledome
3. Aerosmith, MTS Centre in Winnipeg
2. Van Halen, Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton
1. Lenny Kravitz, MTS Centre in Winnipeg

Kravitz was unbelievable, he was the opener for Aerosmith and I would have paid the admission price just to see his show alone. Aerosmith was the icing on the cake.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #28
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best concert experiences

1. Celine Dion in Las Vegas. Wasn't a fan and only went because the wife demanded seeing the show. Left speechless. Everything about the show was perfect.

2. Peter Gabriel in support of the Us album. Absolutely stunning from the word go. The guy takes performance art to a new level and did things in concert I'd never seen before.

3. David Bowie, Glass Spiders Tour. Kind of like Gabriel, but not as good. Had the whole package, but was more dance oriented (Toni Basil was one of the backup dancers and choreographer).

4. The Doobie Brothers with Red Rider opening up. Red Rider actually blew the roof off the place and the Doobies had to take it up a notch to out do the opener. Patrick Simmonds did his thing and won the crowd over with a solo that featured him strolling around the ring of the Corral.

5. Collective Soul. Ed Roland was loaded and took two songs to warm up (the crowd was actually booing as he staggered around and the mix was off) but once those two songs were done it was an incredible turnaround and the band's performance was epic. Never seen a band play off the crowd like Collective Soul.

Worst concert experiences

1. The Eagles. Mechanical, with the exception of Joe Walsh. Don Henley was a massive ######bag, not understanding the market he was in, and actually gave Walsh some #### for playing to the crowd. Huge disappointment.

2. Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks just didn't live up to expectations. Felt like they both were mailing it in.

3. Def Leppard. Terrible mix and Joe Elliott's voice was crap. Left before the show ended.

Honorable mention intimate performances

1. Sass Jordan. Saw her at a small venue in Calgary back in the day. They brought enough equipment to play the Corral and I have hearing damage as a result, but what a performance.

2. Jann Arden. I've played with a couple of the guys from her band, so maybe a little biased. She's just great at finding the meaning of a song and emoting it for the audience. Wonderful to watch.

3. Busman's Holiday. Local Calgary cover band that could and would play anything. They would do requests and stray from their set to keep the crowd involved, and they would play anything. They did a rendition of Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual on the heals of the Cure's Fascination Street that brought the house down.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #29
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

In no particular order:

Sigur Ros, Boston Opera House
Tragically Hip, Phantom Power Tour, Lethbridge Arena
Radiohead, Mac Hall Ballroom
Nick Cave, The Jubilee, Push the Sky Away Tour
David Bowie, Saddledome, Reality Tour
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #30
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snow Job '96. Not so much the bands, just the experience of an outdoor concert in Banff in the mountains was pretty awesome.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #31
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post

Guns'n'Roses in 93 at Northlands is probably my favourite memory of a show,
that show was memorable for me for reasons I cannot repeat on a family website (and no it had nothing to do with what I did, only things I can't unsee)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #32
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dr John at the Yale, couldnt believe I was seen an icon in a 300 seat pub.

Buckwheat Zydeco again at the Yale the, the day after Katrina hit New Orleans, the band didnt know if they had homes and families to go back to the audience was all in mourning for the destruction we were watching on TV, could have been terrible but everyone lost themselves in the music and they played for hours, we celebrated the city.

Thin Lizzy, Hammersmith Odeon 1976

Funkadelic at the Wild Buffalo, Bellingham, again couldnt believe I was seeing a musical God in a little bar in the arse end of nowhere

Adam and the Ants at the Marquee, 1977 and a hundred other punk bands including the Clash for a couple of bucks a show at various pubs around London
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #33
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Queensryche Empire Tour in 91 at the dome. They played the entirety of Operation Mindcrime mid set. Problem with most rock or metal bands is their singers are ####. I saw Kiss for their reunion tour with makeup but Stanley whose voice was never great was crap then and tbh Kiss has never been a great band musically and when they brought back Ace and Peter it really didn’t help their live musical experience. Geoff Tate however was amazing live especially then at the height of his talent and the band played excellent.

I saw Metallica at the dome in like 97/98 and it was good but Hetfield was also a bit hit and miss. Same when I saw Priest in like 91. Both were past their primes. Saw Warrant in 90 I think at some bar place on McLeod trail which was good. Aerosmith was decent enough as well as was Bon Jovi in 89, first concert I ever saw.

I saw Celine Dion a couple times in concert and she was excellent as she has an amazing voice. Both in the 90s when she was at her best. Ofc different type of concerts than the first. I had a chance to see Phil Collins in the early nineties but didn’t (same with Heart) and regretted that. Also regretted missing Def Leppard too but like the above poster said I doubt I missed anything great there they were never great live.

Last edited by Kasi; 12-24-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:24 PM   #34
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Best Concert was the KISS reunion tour. I loved KISS growing up so this was a blast. Peter and Ace back, full makeup. It was great.
Honorable Mentions: Gord Downie private function. 100 people in a basement.

Dave Mathews in Vancouver.
Pink in Vancouver. Not a big fan, but the show itself was pretty amazing.

Worst Concert was the KISS animalize tour. It was at the Kinsmen field house. General seating. -20 out and they weren't letting anyone in. Concert started late. KISS band members were hammered.
I was at that one. Sound was so bad I didn't know what songs they were playing.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #35
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Dr John at the Yale, couldnt believe I was seen an icon in a 300 seat pub.

Buckwheat Zydeco again at the Yale the, the day after Katrina hit New Orleans, the band didnt know if they had homes and families to go back to the audience was all in mourning for the destruction we were watching on TV, could have been terrible but everyone lost themselves in the music and they played for hours, we celebrated the city.

Thin Lizzy, Hammersmith Odeon 1976

Funkadelic at the Wild Buffalo, Bellingham, again couldnt believe I was seeing a musical God in a little bar in the arse end of nowhere

Adam and the Ants at the Marquee, 1977 and a hundred other punk bands including the Clash for a couple of bucks a show at various pubs around London

OK....im envious.

So many good bands in that short era of like 1975-80 in the punk scene.

Did you ever see The Stranglers? Never really hit in North America but IIRC they were mega big in Northern Europe for a good long run.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #36
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #37
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Foo Fighters and Green Day - 1998 Edgefest

Metallica - all shows but specifically
Commonwealth 2017

Rush - Calgary 2012 ish I think

Avatar - 2017 and 2018 at the Palace Theatre

Santana - House of Blues in Vegas, 2016 ish.

Slipknot/Lamb of God - I just think these 2 bands hit hard and I always thought they’d both end up as all time great metal bands. And caught a Joey Jordison drumstick in Edmonton 2006, have it framed with a signed picture too.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #38
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.
Saw the Stranglers at the Roundhouse, Radioters from Space were a hoot, thought ACDC were a punk band on their first UK tour and saw them in a Pub up the Fulham Palace Rd, X Ray Specs were a shambolic mess but great, the Ruts and Members were great live as was the Skids that became Big Country

Probably the most historic gig I went to was the Two Tone Tour which was at the Lyceum I think, Madness, the Specials the Selector and maybe the Beat, lot of skinheads and a ton of fights
Old 12-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #39
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

One of my most memorable was going to see my newest favourite rapper (Shad) at The Gateway at SAIT. He had just released the Old Prince and it felt like there were like 30 people there, and he rocked the house.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #40
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

my cant miss bands these days are the Aggrolites, they're a drive to Seattle band and Dumptsaphunk, they're a drive to Portland band, of course these days I'm not just the oldest guy in the room, I'm older than the guy that owns the room.