Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Best live band you ever saw?

I'm older and was a concert junkie for many years so it's probably not a fair assessment for many people but my top 5 that I've seen live are:

5) Pink Floyd
4) Kiss
3) AC/DC
2) Meatloaf
1) Aerosmith

Honorable mentions, The B-52's and The Who
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 06:39 AM   #2
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maceo Parker with Prince.

Honorable mention to Metallica.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 06:46 AM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Radiohead on The Bends tour, played old Mac Hall amazing show.

Sam Roberts, also Old Mac Hall. Dude played for near 3 hrs

The Hip, Another Roadside Attraction.

Eric Clapton, cuz well he’s Eric Clapton

Robert Plant, based on the last song of the night. Communication Breakdown, totally blew the roof off the place.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Metallica on the Justice tour with the Cult opening.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

3) Tragically Hip - Fully Completely tour (the Corral)

2) Radiohead - Hail to the Thief tour (Thunderbird Stadium)

1) Wilco - Being There tour (the Republic)
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Interesting topic and one for me that can vary depending on how im feeling.

In no particular order

Rush on the Moving Pictures, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres tours
Pink Floyd in Edmonton at Commonwealth....simply amazing show.
Def Leppard
Paul McCartney
Eagles on the reunion tour

Way way back when I saw Pat Travers, The Scorpions and Ted Nugent at the Corral. Not sure how good it was but will never forget it. Lost my hearing for a couple days.

Also Van Halen right before their second album came out. Diamond Dave and Eddie in their prime.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

David Wilcox
Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Metallica - Commonwealth 2017
Barenaked Ladies - Saddledome (not even a huge fan of these guys but they put on a great show).
The Hip - countless shows.
Big Sugar - Palace
Eric Church - Gorge Ampitheatre (not even a country fan but this guy puts on a show. The Gorge is an amazing concert experience every time. It should be on everyone's bucket list. I have been there 5 times now).

Worst show I have seen - Eagles - Hell Freezes Over 1994. I went into as a fan and left a hater. Don Henley and Tim Schmidt didn't even want to be there. They had #### eating smirks on their faces. I did, however, come out with a new appreciation for Joe Walsh - what a performer. In the words of the dude, "I really ####in hate the Eagles, man".
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #9
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Rodeo was always great live - saw them a few times. I'm not a huge Blue Rodeo fan but they are just a great band.

But the concert I had the most fun at was The Offspring at Max Bell back when they released Ixnay on the Hombre. They sounded great live and it was just a ton of fun.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Blue Rodeo was always great live - saw them a few times. I'm not a huge Blue Rodeo fan but they are just a great band.
The rugby club in Dead Rear used to work security for events, hockey, concerts.
I worked a Blue Rodeo show around 2016. They played all new songs before the break. It was good, but they came back after the break and played all their best songs "hits". They brought the place to their feet. The show was excellent, I am also a Blue Rodeo fan.

Quote:
Old 12-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Blue Rodeo in Stanley Park in 2009 - Amazing atmosphere, great crowd and the band was on point (as they always are). I've seen them dozens of times and they are amazing each time.

Best over the top stage show is definitely KISS on the reunion tour in 1996/7.

Guns'n'Roses in 93 at Northlands is probably my favourite memory of a show, followed by CJay92's Concert they put on in 95 or 96 in the dome with 5 or six bands with Moist headlining.... Won 3rd row tickets for that it was awesome!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ozzy Osborne - At the dome, just a really fun fantastic event, yeah you're not there for the music. He must have done three encores, and his voice blew up in the third one

Rolling Stones/Living Color (Cotton Bowl) - There was probably 80,000 people at this one and it was the Stones suppossed farewell tour. Living Color was fantastic. When the Stones played Honky Tonk Woman, these monstrous inflatible girls blew up and danced. Great atmosphere.

Kiss - Vancouver, I don't care what people say about Kiss musically though I contend Paul is a seriously great front man. Just a hugely fun entertaining concert.

George Thoroughgood and the Deleware Destroyers - Back Alley in downtown Texas. Amazing guitarist to watch play. I love the slide work on "Who do you love". He had a lot of energy, and we were deafened by the speakers.

Colin James - Private corporate event - Everyone should see this guy in concert just because the stuff that he can do is amazing and absolutely jaw dropping. He goes from Blues to Rock with ease. Really enjoyed it and got to sit down and have a drink with him afterwards and he was super mellow.

ZZ Top - Private Deltek corporate event at the new Texas Stadium. Loved these guys because they're so sound in concert. Also because one of them flung a half empty bottle of Jack at a heckler without breaking stride.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #13
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

either Iron Maiden (2008 and 2019) or Motorhead (2005 and 2009). Maiden's theatrics and scope are awe-inspiring, while Motorhead's energy and sheer volume leave you drained.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #14
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Eagles
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #15
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Colin James - Private corporate event - Everyone should see this guy in concert just because the stuff that he can do is amazing and absolutely jaw dropping. He goes from Blues to Rock with ease. Really enjoyed it and got to sit down and have a drink with him afterwards and he was super mellow.

ZZ Top - Private Deltek corporate event at the new Texas Stadium. Loved these guys because they're so sound in concert. Also because one of them flung a half empty bottle of Jack at a heckler without breaking stride.
All you private concern talk reminded me of another show. Bryan Adams down in Barbados at a private gig, the stage was on the beach. Great show, he invited people on stage. My wife (then G/F) went up and stayed up 2 songs beyond when everyone else got off the stage.

He really put on a solid set.

Quote:
Old 12-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #16
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I've been to many shows at the Dome the last 20 years and have to say Iron Maiden the last couple times they were here were the best shows, just everything about them was really good.

System Of A Down was probably the liveliest show I ever saw at the Dome, that was nuts actually.

The Tragically Hip show at the Dome prior to their final tour was also really good, probably the most haziest concert I've ever been to there.

Just so many other good shows though, it will be a sad day when they finally close the doors at the Dome.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #17
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

A great show was Die Antwoord a few years ago.

Smashing Pumpkins did a surprisingly great show at the Dome maybe a few years ago (better than when they played there in the 90s).

Bad Religion at Flames Central about five years ago was awesome because they did kind of a mash up of their songs. I know basically every Bad Religion song off by heart so I was in heaven.

Two best shows are tied, though. Pixies reunion tour in about 2003 at Mac Hall was magical. Felt surreal because they're one of my favourite bands and I never thought they'd reunite. I have a cd they made at the show, which is both a treasured keepsake and one of my favourite albums to listen to independent of me having been there. It's just great no matter what.

Other best show was also a reunion show...The Smalls at Flames Central in - man, I have no idea...2014? Just loved it. And when Corb Lund said, 'just like old times, eh guys?' the crowd went nuts because it was exactly what we were all thinking. I recognized so many people that were at all the alternative shows I used to see in the 90s.

Honourable mention to the Gwar show at flames central maybe four or five years ago. I was the DD for my friends and it was fataing hilarious watching them get covered head to toe in dye. Luckily I had brought sheets and stuff to cover the seats of my car and I buckled them in like toddlers because I didn't want them touching anything. That was a great time.

Can't wait to see some shows again. Man.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #18
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
either Iron Maiden (2008 and 2019) or Motorhead (2005 and 2009). Maiden's theatrics and scope are awe-inspiring, while Motorhead's energy and sheer volume leave you drained.
Love me some Motorhead (happy birthday, Lemmy!) Their show at the original Cowboys was terrific.

AC/DC anytime they play, but the first time I saw them in 86 was amazing. Front row for the Hip at Ft Calgary. Mark Knopfler at Jack Singer. Paul McCartney for 3 hours in Seattle in 2005. Metallica Justice tour in 89. Testament/Megadeth/Judas Priest in Edmonton in 90. Billy Idol at the Joint in Vegas. Soundgarden, Audioslave...... man, so many good shows.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #19
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I've been to many shows at the Dome the last 20 years and have to say Iron Maiden the last couple times they were here were the best shows, just everything about them was really good.

System Of A Down was probably the liveliest show I ever saw at the Dome, that was nuts actually.

The Tragically Hip show at the Dome prior to their final tour was also really good, probably the most haziest concert I've ever been to there.

Just so many other good shows though, it will be a sad day when they finally close the doors at the Dome.
System of a Down played the Dome? I had no idea. I'm suuuper late to the party on that band. Only got into them a few years ago. Knew nothing about them prior to that. That's a downer I missed that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:15 AM   #20
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

in no particular order...
aerosmith
volbeat
doobie brothers
bb king

all were fantastic.

there is another concert i was at that i'd like to mention. why it's one of my favorites is not becuz of the show, but what happened after the show. it was in kelowna and was prism and nazareth. prism was fantastic and nazareth was very ho-hum... which was kind of a let down becuz i was really looking forward to seeing nazareth.
anyways, after the show i notice one of the guys i know from the local music scene here in kelowna and he's with a guy in a wheel chair. al harlow (lead vocalist for prism) came out and started chatting with them. the guy in the wheel chair was beside himself - you could tell he was a huge fan and was more than elated to meet al. then al said something and gave the "just give me a minute" gesture and disappeared for a couple minutes. he came back with a ton of stuff for the guy - concert shirts, signed photographs and other stuff. at this point the guy in the wheelchair put his face in his hands and leaned over. when he looked up tears were flowing down his face. it was such a powerful moment. i think what struck me the most about seeing that was this all happened off to the side - not in the spotlight, not in front of media - nothing like that. just the lead singer of a band taking some time to meet a fan - and to me that was fantastic!