Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2021, 01:47 AM   #21
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The cure the villains thing was odd at first to me, being so used to kill/imprison the villain outcomes in these films, but then I remembered that's Spider man. Thats Peter Parker to a T. Every iteration would try to save/redeem the villain character.

What I found silly was cooking up the cures in a high-school chem lab. Unless they were going for a comedic angle there. Thinking too deeply about it will just drive you nuts I think.

It was more fun than detail oriented. They jam packed the fun and goodies and made a straight crowd pleaser. I am glad they did justice to each of the Spidermen and treated them with care but also with a sort of fan awareness.

Garfield is going to be getting loads of support for more TASM spidey content / bringing him in for the next avengers or secret wars adaptation within the MCU. Sounds like his role in this was unanimously loved.

I also really, really liked Tobey stopping Holland from feeding Goblin his glider 2.0. But why not put a Dafoe/Maguire exchange in at that moment. It was too logical.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:18 AM   #22
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Not really. Dozens of other heroes are into saving people. And neither of the original Spideys bothered saving them.

Not to mention all the innocent people who died because he was worried about villains he’d never met from an alternate universe who were meant to die. And the people who died because he couldn’t shut up so Strange could cast a spell to regain his anonymity. How noble of him. Those people it’s ok they died and all the people from alternate universes who didn’t get transferred to the MCU, they can die too, but not these 5 guys. Geez Pete, maybe you could save uncle Ben or Gwen Stacy if you want to be useful.

But all that’s irrelevant. It was a stupid plot point. How does curing them change their fate? They were all moments from death. How does depowering save them?

All it was is a pointless maguffin. A reason to keep the plot moving forward. Otherwise the villains and Spider-Man literally had no purpose in this movie.
One of Peters defining traits in the comics is his desire to help reform his villains. So I’d say it’s very much in theme for the character then just a team up movie against bad guys.

Also a major theme of Spider-Man is that good intentions sometimes have terrible consequences.

Peter also didn’t know the circumstances of their deaths, but in a few (like Norman and Electro) it would have certainly saved them.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:24 AM   #23
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Please explain comics more to me. I’ve never read any.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:35 AM   #24
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Well, you see, they're paper booklets that have colourful art and tell the stories of fantastical characters and Dick Tracey. Truly a wonderful medium.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2021, 02:48 AM   #25
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You asked for an answer and I gave it to you. You don’t need to be a jackass about it.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:44 AM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Old 12-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #27
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
You asked for an answer and I gave it to you. You don’t need to be a jackass about it.
I explained why it made no sense from a plot perspective and you replied twice nerdsplaining comic books like only you’re familiar with the character of Spider-Man. Who’s being the jackass?

I never once said it was out of character for Peter to want to save people.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #28
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I explained why it made no sense from a plot perspective and you replied that I just don’t read enough comics to understand the character like you do. Who’s being the jackass?

I never said you didn’t read comics, I was explaining my reasoning for disagreeing with you.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #29
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Anywho.. lets put our dicks back in our pants and focus on how awesome this movie was.

Saw it last night, I was blown away. Even though most of the movie's cameos had been spoiled/heavily anticipated, it was still awesome. They nailed it. I loved how the reveal was very casual, just completely focused on that moment and not in the middle of some huge fight or anything like that. We got a chance to re meet these characters, they got their moment and then it was now all about their dynamic between each other.

The acting in this movie was next level, I honestly think that Garfield stole the show. Holland did great, but man going into this Garfield was my least favourite of the three but coming out he is my top pick for sure.

There is just so much to talk about, but one thing I really hope they don't do is move on from Holland. He was thrown into the middle of the MCU's biggest conflicts in their history and navigated it well while still making some more 'down to earth' but large scale movies of his own. That is a very tough gauntlet to make it through and he did it very well.

Now we have him left in a very grounded, classic role of Spider-Man. He can get a job at the Daily Bugle and do neighbourhood things. It's like a fresh start coming full circle, let him flourish in that role for a bit.

The scene where they are all talking about loss, man that was gut wrenching, but amazing. In that moment I really did appreciate the whole 'multiverse' effect and the comic nerd in me is always raging when movies diverge from the source material, but that Aunt May scene and the whole thing was handled so well it just hit me so much harder than either of the Uncle Ben scenes. It was amazing.

If you've lost someone, you just get it, it's true. You recognize it in another person and there is an unspoken bond that just forms. The three of them did an amazing job at portraying that.

Then we get all the banter, the meme jokes, the iconic web swinging, the landing, fighting all the villains. Just oh my god it was an overload.

I can't say enough good things about this movie. Well done, so well done.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #30
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Holland recently did Hot Ones, and he really seems like one of the most likeable people in Hollywood right now. I hope the rumblings of him signing on for another Spider-Man trilogy are true, Garfield is getting a lot of rightful praise but Holland absolutely nailed May's death scene and the anger that followed

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #31
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I hope the rumblings of him signing on for another Spider-Man trilogy are true, Garfield is getting a lot of rightful praise but Holland absolutely nailed May's death scene and the anger that followed.
Sounds like Holland is definitely signed on for at least 3 more films, so this version of Spidey will be around for a while longer.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/tom-ho...oducer-3108100
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And then Spider Man phase 4 with Justin Bieber will begin.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #33
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The way I saw it after thinking about it is the film is not perfect and not the cleanest effort out of Marvel cause it tries to do and show so much. First half is jumbled and decisions made by characters are a bit reckless given all they've recently gone through. I didn't like the execution early on. Murdock swooping in to save Hollands bacon from rather serious accusations happened so quickly I didn't even have time to process it and figure out how I felt about that. Happy is usually much more involved and a part of what made the first two work and his decisions here are also suspect/out of character. The college app stuff was necessary to the plot but the execution felt off pace with everything before and after that point. It was just there to serve its purpose in driving Holland to Strange, but that didn't really have me convinced. Jameson who was a great character in raimiverse is given very little to work with here. His character is next to meaningless and isn't given a chance to shine. I just wasn't pulled into this move until half way.

The villains, alternate spidermen and final act were handled about as well as they possibly could have been though. The emotional scenes hit, the humour hit, and in some ways the other Peters saved the day. Everything from the mirror realm chase onward was much improved, even though gathering these villains in Happy's apartment was suspect at best and setting up for obvious disaster. This is just me putting the excitement over all the nods aside and evaluating the film as a third entry in the trilogy.

I think fans, including the friend I went with were rather quick to overlook some of the messiness of this movie. I get why. Sometimes you can be so in love with what they do right that the rest feels irrelevant. But looking at it with the lens you would the other movies it wasn't the perfect spidey movie. The way they involved the three and the extent to which they were involved was near perfectly executed, yes. But that doesn't extend to the movie as a whole. I was more engaged start to finish in FFH, but of course I enjoyed the third act in this film as well as dialogue between characters much more here. My friend thought they hit it out of the park. I loved aspects and it will have me very engaged in discussing content and looking ahead to future storylines but I don't think they nailed everything here.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So at the end of the movie he appears the apartment is Parker’s Spider-Man 2 voice and the voice of the landlord is the same.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #35
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. They are both grungy, but unfortunately not the same. Could be the landlord though maybe.

Pete’s apartment in SM 2 locks on the other side, has panes of glass and opens to an area with a bannister/staircase visible. In NWH it’s a tight halfway with a light fixture on the wall behind him.

Yes I checked. I was gonna watch SM2 today anyways.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #36
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
All heroes want to save people. It's somewhat specific to Spider-man that he wants to try to save/rehabilitate his villains, rather than just throw them in jail or kill them.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #37
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I know the movie was already crammed with villains and Spider-men, but I was hoping for a surprise villain since we'd seen all the others in previews and posters. Maybe seeing the Scorpion make his appearance.

Other than that I loved the movie. Had an End Game feel to it for me. Lots of emotion that hit perfectly. Lots of fan service which I'm a sucker for.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. They are both grungy, but unfortunately not the same. Could be the landlord though maybe.

Pete’s apartment in SM 2 locks on the other side, has panes of glass and opens to an area with a bannister/staircase visible. In NWH it’s a tight halfway with a light fixture on the wall behind him.

Yes I checked. I was gonna watch SM2 today anyways.
I was going to check some time today. I watched number two a few days ago. It definitely was designed to have the same feel
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really like the idea of Holland Parker being unknown, living out of a New York apartment as a young adult, probably shooting for the Bugle to help keep Spidey's reputation intact and cleaning up the neighborhood. Its the soft reset that this iteration always needed. He was brought in during so much chaos and commotion that it was near impossible for his story to feel grounded like the last two film generations were. Now he can get that. I really hope they don't go "big scope" with him again until the end of this next trilogy. And keep his story relatively self-contained until enough interesting content has been built up that it feels justified to make him a part of the larger going ons again.

Also my friend said Kingpin is also a SM villain. Do we see a crossover there from Hawkeye?
Old 12-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #40
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Also my friend said Kingpin is also a SM villain. Do we see a crossover there from Hawkeye?

They appear to be setting that up, with Murdock/Daredevil and Kingpin possibly appearing in the next Spidey trilogy. It would also be cool to see Yelena and Kate Bishop cross paths with Spider-Man at some point.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post: