Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Default Spider-Man: No Way Home Spoilers Thread

Spoiler!

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:24 AM   #2
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spoiler!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #3
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'm not using spoiler tags, if you click on a thread with spoilers in the title then it's on you. Fantastic movie, there was a lot more screen time with the alt universe characters than I thought there'd be and somehow they made it work with that many people. The triple spider banter was great, especially the other 2 freaking out over Tobey not needing a web slinger device. I also loved the more "realistic" swinging scene with MJ at the start, great nod to the first movie
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #6
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me Garfield stole the show along with Dafoe. I was never a big fan of Garfield's Spiderman but after this movie I've done a complete 180. Would love to see him return to either finish his trilogy OR have him join the MCU.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
For me Garfield stole the show along with Dafoe. I was never a big fan of Garfield's Spiderman but after this movie I've done a complete 180. Would love to see him return to either finish his trilogy OR have him join the MCU.
Ugh. Me too. He's great.

I feel like they could line up an ASM3 with some MCU connections in it. It's fresh enough to not be as jarring as a SM4 would be after 15+ years. Then again we just saw them all, so it feels like nothing is off the table since Sony is always looking to cash in and will take note of the records that this movie sets.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-17-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Yea he absolutely owned his role. He was always the closest thing to comic Spider-Man in his mannerisms, nice to see he finally got a good script to work with. He's getting universal praise and really seemed happy to be back, so it'd be nice to see him get a proper movie with capable writers. Also I really want to see Tobey back as an elder Peter Parker, he'd be the perfect setup into a Spider Girl movie or series

I just got back from the theater though and I'm still processing it, I have the same feeling of "I can't believe they pulled this off" as I did after Infinity War. Kevin Feige is a godamn genius
Old 12-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have two young kids and will likely not be able to catch this one until it comes to my TV, which I dont think will be for a while given how eager Disney+Stars are to see theatre revenue.

Can someone spoiler me Dr.Strange's motivation for kicking this all off? It seems so out of character for him in the trailers that it is jarring.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I have two young kids and will likely not be able to catch this one until it comes to my TV, which I dont think will be for a while given how eager Disney+Stars are to see theatre revenue.

Can someone spoiler me Dr.Strange's motivation for kicking this all off? It seems so out of character for him in the trailers that it is jarring.
He feels bad for Peter after Peter comes in with a sincere plea for help.

Strange downplays the risk of the type of magic used cause they apparently have "used it for a lot less" before. Wong's "don't cast that spell" line from the trailer isn't in the movie. He just asks Strange to leave him out of whatever they decide to do.

Peter screws up the spell by interfering. Otherwise it would have gone off without a hitch and given Peter what he asked for.

Strange gives it to Peter for messing things up and is trying to clean up his mess from that point on, so he's well within character.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #12
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if maybe we see Spider Gwen in the MCU. If Strange pulled everyone who knew Peter Parker was Spiderman, wouldn't Gwen Stacey also be pulled, since she knew. And they already established even if you're dead you would get pulled before you died.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #13
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if maybe we see Spider Gwen in the MCU. If Strange pulled everyone who knew Peter Parker was Spiderman, wouldn't Gwen Stacey also be pulled, since she knew. And they already established even if you're dead you would get pulled before you died.
That would've been cool af if they did that in this movie.

Can't change Gwen's fate in his universe but Garfield gets the chance to have some closure with her.

Would hit way harder than him catching MJ. And they could do both.

Have them discover her at the end of their big fight. She shows up claiming she saw Holland on TV announce where they would be and unsure how she got there. Tom/Strange still have to close the tears in reality but they hold off long enough for Garfield & Gwen to get words in for each other as well as Holland's goodbyes.

Talk about a bombshell cameo that has emotional impact.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-17-2021 at 08:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #14
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man was this film ####ing excellent.

I teared up numerous times. This is the closest we’ll ever get to an actual comic book on screen. 3 different versions of Spider-Man? Everything is canon?

This is the movie I’ve dreamed of and they delivered.

• Willem Dafoe absolutely owned this movie. I would even say his performance is better than the original Spider-Man. It’s incredible that the core of this massive comic book event was one of the best Peter/Goblin stories ever. Having him reprise his role and do it to this level is a double edged sword for Disney, it's impossible to recast that role now. Dafoe is the Goblin as Downey is Stark.

• Garfield was especially fantastic and you could tell how much he cares about this character. Giving him the chance to redeem not only his movies but his Peter was pretty powerful stuff.

• Everyone was going at 100%. Being able to juggle a cast of that size and calibre so well is an incredible achievement.

• I also do love that instead of being part of the Sinister Six, Venom decided to get wasted at a bar in Mexico.

• My only gripe is I wish there was a scene with Tobey’s Spider-Man and Norman. I kept hoping for a scene akin from Superior Spider-Man where Norman realizes Peter is back.

• I also guess this answers the Uncle Ben question. It seems he never existed in the MCU, at least not in the traditional sense.

Last edited by Cole436; 12-17-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole436 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 11:15 PM   #15
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
• I also guess this answers the Uncle Ben question. It seems he never existed in the MCU, at least not in the traditional sense.
He did, they just never covered it because Peter was already Spider-Man the first time we saw him. He had his uncle's suitcase in Far From Home

Old 12-17-2021, 11:30 PM   #16
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
He did, they just never covered it because Peter was already Spider-Man the first time we saw him. He had his uncle's suitcase in Far From Home

I'm saying that I don't think he existed as the origin for this Peter's Spider-Man.

If he was ever going to be mentioned it was going to be this movie. When Tobey and Andrew were sharing about the death of their respective Ben, Tom’s Peter would definitely have said something if he believed he was responsible as well.

Peter also only visits May’s grave at the end of the movie. So I’m lead to believe Ben doesn’t exist in his traditional state in the MCU. He could died of a disease or an accident, or maybe when Peter was very young.

May essentially took Ben's role for this Spider-Man, so Peter would be learning the same lesson twice if he was also responsible for Ben's death.

It's a neat twist that this entire trilogy full of weird themes (Iron Man Jr., space travel, penthouse apartments) turned out to be Spider-Man's origin of a broke, down on his luck, guilt ridden, "Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man".

Last edited by Cole436; 12-17-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:28 AM   #17
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it Thursday but haven’t commented on it here yet. I didn’t watch a single trailer (other than the odd TV spot) or look at a single poster and I’m so glad I did. It’s a shame Toby and Andrew were the worst kept secret but man it was so cool seeing them again. I had no idea they were bringing back all the old villains too (other than Doc Oc from the TV spot)! So cool!

The MCU is kind of bland and played out at this point, but this film has definitely revived some of my hype for it. I’m currently re-watching the Sam Raimi trilogy now and I’m going to give Amazing Spider-Man another shot. I was pleasantly surprised at how great Andrew Garfield was in this movie.

I thought it was extremely well done. The humour was on point, Toby and Andrew weren’t in the movie too much or too little. It didn’t feel totally forced. They had great chemistry together with Tom. A truly fun movie. It makes the old movies relevant again and IMO I consider them part of the MCU now, even if they aren’t officially part of it.

I also kind of liked the bitter sweet ending. No idea where they’ll go from here but hey, I’ll be on board.

As a massive Star Wars fan I only wish they gave this much care and respect to the legacy characters in that franchise too.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:56 AM   #18
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The fan service was great. All of the guest stars were excellent except Jaime Foxx who can’t act. It was a little jarring that sandman and lizard actors weren’t featured. It was awesome that they instantly ditched Dafoe’s helmet and let his amazing facial features star. Action was fun. The ending was heavy. It was relentlessly funny. Too funny even.

The 3 Spideys had great chemistry. It was funny and touching. I love how they touched on so many little things. Tobey’s natural web, Garfield’s dead Gwen, all three being scientists, not working on teams before etc. I wish Tobey could have seen JJ!! I was hoping someone would mention how they keep de-aging aunt May. Next movie she’ll be a hot 30 something. I loved Foxx saying he thought Spidey was black. Not only has that happened in the comics but obviously Miles is mixed race.

Anyone notice the Ditko graffiti On the roof where Pete and MJ were hanging out?

But it wasn’t all good. So many plot points were hilariously bad and/or lazy. From Peter distracting Strange, to trapping strange in the mirror universe, the entire “curing” the bad guys storyline, Ned being a wizard.

I get they wanted Strange to kickstart the plot and then leave because he’s too powerful but yeesh, that was the best they could come up with?

It was funny as the villains all did the Jekyll and Hyde thing like 5 times each, apparently not just Norman has split personalities.

Happy pulling up and sitting there like a chump preventing anyone from getting close to Aunt May while Peter just sat there doing nothing and watching her die was a bit odd. I felt that entire scene lacked any real weight to it.

The movie was 30 minutes too long, maybe an hour. Basically the entire catch them then release them then cure them while playing the odd couple in the apartment should have been cut. It should have been they show up, hunt Peter, join up as a sinister six type group, Peter loses faith when May dies, finds his other spideys, good team vs bad team, the end. All of the “we can’t send them back to die” stuff was superfluous and added nothing to the plot or the characters.

I’m glad we have a clean slate. Hopefully they do venom v3.0 justice. The Tom Hardy cameo, or lack thereof was a bit silly. All that hype for him to just drop a teaspoon of symbiote.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-18-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:28 AM   #19
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The fan service was great. All of the guest stars were excellent except Jaime Foxx who can’t act. It was a little jarring that sandman and lizard actors weren’t featured. It was awesome that they instantly ditched Dafoe’s helmet and let his amazing facial features star. Action was fun. The ending was heavy. It was relentlessly funny. Too funny even.

The 3 Spideys had great chemistry. It was funny and touching. I love how they touched on so many little things. Tobey’s natural web, Garfield’s dead Gwen, all three being scientists, not working on teams before etc. I wish Tobey could have seen JJ!! I was hoping someone would mention how they keep de-aging aunt May. Next movie she’ll be a hot 30 something. I loved Foxx saying he thought Spidey was black. Not only has that happened in the comics but obviously Miles is mixed race.

Anyone notice the Ditko graffiti On the roof where Pete and MJ were hanging out?

But it wasn’t all good. So many plot points were hilariously bad and/or lazy. From Peter distracting Strange, to trapping strange in the mirror universe, the entire “curing” the bad guys storyline, Ned being a wizard.

I get they wanted Strange to kickstart the plot and then leave because he’s too powerful but yeesh, that was the best they could come up with?

It was funny as the villains all did the Jekyll and Hyde thing like 5 times each, apparently not just Norman has split personalities.

Happy pulling up and sitting there like a chump preventing anyone from getting close to Aunt May while Peter just sat there doing nothing and watching her die was a bit odd. I felt that entire scene lacked any real weight to it.

The movie was 30 minutes too long, maybe an hour. Basically the entire catch them then release them then cure them while playing the odd couple in the apartment should have been cut. It should have been they show up, hunt Peter, join up as a sinister six type group, Peter loses faith when May dies, finds his other spideys, good team vs bad team, the end. All of the “we can’t send them back to die” stuff was superfluous and added nothing to the plot or the characters.

I’m glad we have a clean slate. Hopefully they do venom v3.0 justice. The Tom Hardy cameo, or lack thereof was a bit silly. All that hype for him to just drop a teaspoon of symbiote.
Yeah I don’t think I agree with that. Peter trying to save his enemies is one of the most Spider-Man things he could have done. It’s what sets him apart from most of the other heroes outside of Superman.

I don’t think the movie would have worked well at all if it was just a straight up Sinister Six film.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:35 AM   #20
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Not really. Dozens of other heroes are into saving people. And neither of the original Spideys bothered saving them.

Not to mention all the innocent people who died because he was worried about villains he’d never met from an alternate universe who were meant to die. And the people who died because he couldn’t shut up so Strange could cast a spell to regain his anonymity. How noble of him. Those people it’s ok they died and all the people from alternate universes who didn’t get transferred to the MCU, they can die too, but not these 5 guys. Geez Pete, maybe you could save uncle Ben or Gwen Stacy if you want to be useful.

But all that’s irrelevant. It was a stupid plot point. How does curing them change their fate? They were all moments from death. How does depowering save them?

All it was is a pointless maguffin. A reason to keep the plot moving forward. Otherwise the villains and Spider-Man literally had no purpose in this movie.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-18-2021 at 01:38 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote