Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #361
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really enjoyed the finale and show as a whole. Didn't love all the characters, but it was the best sci-fi on TV and is now done, so I am sad.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:27 PM   #362
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I also feel sadness.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:16 PM   #363
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Book reader here - I really hope they do more somehow. The next arc of this story really puts the inaros and free navy stuff to shame. I personally feel the story just gets going from here.

My wish is for more, fingers crossed

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:38 PM   #364
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Easily my favourite show on television.

I've never read any of the books but not sure I want to start with Book 1 knowing all the plot lines. What book does the end of this season take me to?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #365
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I just finished the finale.. that was amazing. The battle scenes all had me barely breathing I was so on edge. By the end I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I absolutely adore Cara Gee and her absolutely badass portrayal of Camina.

I look forward to whatever comes next in this universe.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:41 PM   #366
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post

I've never read any of the books but not sure I want to start with Book 1 knowing all the plot lines. What book does the end of this season take me to?

I’ve read the first 2 books, after watching the series I felt like the first book in particular was a waste of time since it was so closely aligned with the show. I appreciated the second book because of how awesome Avasarala’s quotes are in the book. I’ll read more, but I’ve got a long list of books I want to read and these ones are so long that I find it hard to stay motivated.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:49 PM   #367
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post

The series ends where book 6 is. So start with book 7 if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 08:58 PM   #368
kermitology

Exp:

Here’s the labelled Easter egg with all the sci-Fi characters in the assault team:

Spoiler!
Old 01-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #369
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Man I'm gonna miss this show
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:28 PM   #370
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I wish the lighting wasn't so dim. I feel like I miss some important things because I literally can't make them out. I get it, space is dark but I still wish they'd brighten things up just a little.

I never really found the lighting dim, but didn't like all the blue lighting. Holden in particular always looked awful to me in blue light. You'd think they'd invest in decent light bulbs in space.

I expect there will be some sort of continuation, perhaps some movies covering the last 3 books. Since the writers were talking about how hard it was to fit everything into 6 episodes this season I don't think they would have set up all the Laconia stuff without a reasonable expectation of payoff for it.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:25 AM   #371
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Holden in particular always looked awful to me in blue light.
Avasarala and Peaches are the ones with possibly terminal illnesses, but this season did Holden ever look like a space skeleton on death's door. it must have been intentional to show the wear and tear that heading up the war effort was having on him, but often it just looked like everyone else was going into the fridge and stealing his lunch bag.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:44 AM   #372
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Avasarala and Peaches are the ones with possibly terminal illnesses, but this season did Holden ever look like a space skeleton on death's door. it must have been intentional to show the wear and tear that heading up the war effort was having on him, but often it just looked like everyone else was going into the fridge and stealing his lunch bag.
Holden is the cautionary tale of living off of only coffee.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 09:53 PM   #373
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Just finished watching the finale. God damn that was amazing. Even knowing the entire plot and seeing it play out on screen...pure goosebumps. 10/10

Also anyone notice the creepy looking ship behind the words during the initial ending credits? And then the ring going red.

The next 3 books are definitely being made...they just have to now with all these tidbits!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:40 PM   #374
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Just finished watching the finale. God damn that was amazing. Even knowing the entire plot and seeing it play out on screen...pure goosebumps. 10/10

Also anyone notice the creepy looking ship behind the words during the initial ending credits? And then the ring going red.

The next 3 books are definitely being made...they just have to now with all these tidbits!
There are so many plots threads left unexplained. They completely abandoned the two kids on the one planet.

Like... That went nowhere!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:19 PM   #375
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
There are so many plots threads left unexplained. They completely abandoned the two kids on the one planet.

Like... That went nowhere!
Yeah, I could accept most of this season as a series finale... but that... that was just a weird choice. Based on the show writers' comments, I wonder if it's setting up for a future series, but there was nothing there that couldn't have been done in a prologue for that series.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #376
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I was actually concerned that the actor playing him wasn't healthy. I do wonder if that was an intentional choice as he really changed a lot.

I finished the show and liked it well enough, but probably didn't love it like some of the fans here. I felt the the way they defeated the free navy was rushed and contrived. Out of nowhere, Naomi comes up with "if we time it just right and feed the ring everything but the kitchen sink...".

I loved the little epilogue with her son though, that was a really nice touch. And yeah the resurrected kid on the planet storyline was just a tease for bigger things, but really thought they could have tied that off just a little. Maybe they should have just ended it with him coming back to life or something.

Fun to watch a show that is just paced a little differently than big budget spectacles and concentrated a complete sense of lore in a new setting . And I will miss the theme music.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:46 AM   #377
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Member of the Expanse production team says filming during the pandemic and associated extra safety productions led to a near doubling in costs during the last season. This is the reason reason for the reduced episode count. Likely Amazon kept the budget the same or slightly increased, but Covid costs and budgeting forced Alcon to slash the episode count.

Whole video about filming during the Expanse during the pandemic.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:23 AM   #378
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

hmm, I totally get the increased production costs for covid safety, but I can't think of another show that was as severely affected, other than those that just skipped a year entirely. the cast is pretty big but it's not like they had to use big public spaces like a modern day drama might. is it because they spend most of the time in cramped spaceship sets? did they have some unvaxxed cast members that required a lot of additional protocol?
Old 01-31-2022, 08:37 AM   #379
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably the sets. Other shows can do shoots in outdoor sets to offset that cost and balance it out I bet. Heck it looks like even Star Trek Picard season 2 is gonna be mostly set in "2024" partially for this reason.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:52 AM   #380
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

heh I had chalked that Picard in present day LA (shot with a producer's iPhone probably) to filmmaking laziness, but yea I guess budget probably played a factor as well.

Tags
noir , pew pew pew , sci fi , space opera , the expanse