Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #1521
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
So Champions league is still with DAZN for a couple more seasons? What a pain in the ass that is. I liked the value of having the PL, CL, and NFL, but that takes a massive hit now. I love the CL, but I’m always working when the games are on.
Yeah...this is nuts. I havent looked into just subscribing to something like a team-based product to just watch Liverpool matches.

That would be okay, but I do like watching other matches and other teams but I'm not going to subscribe to a half-dozen different services for that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:18 PM   #1522
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everton shortlist appears to be Rooney or Martinez. Then again, Nuno is also free as I understand.

Thats a bit of a Rogue's Gallery.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-17-2022, 04:33 AM   #1523
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Usual ignorant tripe.
As usual take the time to familiarize yourself with the rules before posting.

LOL! Forfeit! Points deduction! Automatic relegation!

Give us a laugh and explain on what grounds exactly they should be penalized.

Within the rules.
They shouldn't be penalized, I dont even blame then for requesting it after the shenanigans liverpool pulled on them a week earlier, but the league rule needs to be changed or interpreted differently going forward.

They had 1 covid case at the time of the request, they have a reserves and academy full of players. As was pointed out they loaned two players in the week prior to the game.

The premier league wouldnt move spurs game vs leicester the 3rd week of december, which would have allowed them to play Rennes in their final conference league group game, So the premier league effectively limited 1 of their own clubs from europe, and then was willing to move a game weeks later because arsenal loaned out some players and couldnt have a few academy players on the bench. It's a joke

La Liga has the rule of only 5 senior players being needed if academy players are also available and the clubs get on with it.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 06:06 AM   #1524
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
They shouldn't be penalized, I dont even blame then for requesting it after the shenanigans liverpool pulled on them a week earlier, but the league rule needs to be changed or interpreted differently going forward.

They had 1 covid case at the time of the request, they have a reserves and academy full of players. As was pointed out they loaned two players in the week prior to the game.

The premier league wouldnt move spurs game vs leicester the 3rd week of december, which would have allowed them to play Rennes in their final conference league group game, So the premier league effectively limited 1 of their own clubs from europe, and then was willing to move a game weeks later because arsenal loaned out some players and couldnt have a few academy players on the bench. It's a joke

La Liga has the rule of only 5 senior players being needed if academy players are also available and the clubs get on with it.
The reason they should be penalized is because it’s complete mismanagement, and it’s their doing. It’s pathetic that they even requested a postponement, but that never should’ve been granted. It should’ve been a clear option:

A) play the game
B) forfeit and face a points deduction

They had 20 players for Thursday and suddenly they can’t find 13? That’s a lie. Are they suggesting that if Xhaka doesn’t get suspended they could’ve played? First of all, that’s part of the game that’s club their size could handle, and second, they shouldn’t factor in suspensions at all.

Leeds played yesterday, and had 7 debutants. You didn’t see them crying for a postponement. Oh, and they won. But these guys couldn’t play the squad they wanted due to things other than Covid. That’s their decision, and they should have consequences for that.

And what about the paying fans? People have laid out money, made all kinds of arrangements to be there, and the circumstances aren’t to their liking, so the games off? I have no idea why that’s OK. Obviously if they fail to play it’s a forfeit, and obviously they need a penalty to make sure this kind of thing isn’t happening.

Lastly, Liverpool apparently had a pile of positive tests. I don’t agree with that either, because they weren’t positive, but two wrongs don’t make a right and that sort of thing.

Here’s what really happened. Arsenal were scared. They we’re going to get beaten and looked for a loophole. We tested players on Wednesday to have our players ready, and made arrangements for the game. But they had one guy with Covid. Completely and utterly pathetic for a professional organization.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:06 AM   #1525
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Everton shortlist appears to be Rooney or Martinez. Then again, Nuno is also free as I understand.

Thats a bit of a Rogue's Gallery.
What about Ole? Lol
Old 01-17-2022, 06:21 AM   #1526
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and apparently someone had a miraculous recovery for Arsenal yesterday. They sent Mari out on loan today, so clearly they’re not concerned about the LC against Liverpool this week. Or…it was a scam and they could’ve fielded a squad.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:24 AM   #1527
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow!

Take a breath and let it go.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:40 AM   #1528
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Wow!

Take a breath and let it go.
Haha, yeah I definitely find this more irritating than I should!
Old 01-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #1529
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Derby now off bottom and 9 points from safety.

Question is does Rooney jump ship for the Everton job..
He’s said he’s dedicated to seeing it through, when they were going through bankruptcy. I wanna say he holds his word.

If he keeps them up, shows that loyalty, he’ll be enshrined.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #1530
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure Arsenal should get punished as the league allowed it. But the leagues handling of it was farcical.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 12:19 PM   #1531
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal is exploiting the rules that the league set up, and you can blame them for that if you want. But to me, the problem is not that Arsenal was cheeky enough to try, it's that the league has opened the door for that ####. They have no one to blame but themselves, they couldn't have handled this any worse.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #1532
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Derby situation is crazy. I know everyone likes the story, but 40 mil in debt, 40 mil in pending lawsuits, no owner and a huge payroll for the championship and Rooney has been trying to add new players this window?

How have they not been forced to sell players amd slash wages ro reduce their debt and get back onside of FFP rules. They have loads of marketable assets too and could easily quickly raise 20 mil or so and slash payroll. Rooney deserves kudos for winning some games but it's not like he's managing a conference team, that's one of the best rosters in the championship that is continuing to overspend even in administration.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #1533
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, yeah I definitely find this more irritating than I should!
FWIW - I don’t know the rules, nor do I care. I can only surmise that Arsenal made a request within the framework and that the request was granted because it fell within that framework.

My view is that it seems spurious (pun genuinely not intended) that as there was only one (possibly two) player out with Covid, that the spirit of any change in rules implemented to manage football during the pandemic wasn’t followed.

I’m only guessing - I don’t know.

As for suspensions - that shouldn’t enter into the equation. My understanding is that it didn’t although as a Spurs man, you should be grateful that you may face an Arsenal team with Xhaka in it.

TL;DR - I think the rules allowing the postponement must be opaque, Arsenal should’ve fulfilled had to fulfil the fixture using members of the youth team. I also don’t think Arsenal should face any sanction unless the request wasn’t granted and they just didn’t turn up.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:31 PM   #1534
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Derby situation is crazy. I know everyone likes the story, but 40 mil in debt, 40 mil in pending lawsuits, no owner and a huge payroll for the championship and Rooney has been trying to add new players this window?

How have they not been forced to sell players amd slash wages ro reduce their debt and get back onside of FFP rules. They have loads of marketable assets too and could easily quickly raise 20 mil or so and slash payroll. Rooney deserves kudos for winning some games but it's not like he's managing a conference team, that's one of the best rosters in the championship that is continuing to overspend even in administration.
Jason Knight has been linked with Manchester City, Newcastle, Burnley, and Leeds. Sounds like he's likely going to Leeds for £8 million.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #1535
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top marking on this corner, well done from Chelsea.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1483549933189926912
Old 01-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #1536
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way to go Albion!

Thats a beauty of a header.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #1537
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Top marking on this corner, well done from Chelsea.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1483549933189926912
Dress like Norwich, play like Norwich.
cheevers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #1538
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"FA looking into yellow card shown to Arsenal player over suspicious betting patterns"

https://theathletic.com/3079669/2022...ting-patterns/

The article is behind a paywall, but I am guessing this could result in a multi-year ban for the player, if proven out.
DeanOMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #1539
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prop bet manipulation seems so much easier to pull off than pure match fixing. Wouldn't be surprised if it is happening in every sport.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #1540
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many goals would Man U have conceded this season if it wasn’t for De Gea?
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote