Old 11-28-2021, 12:02 AM   #201
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Buying him out is a possibility.
It is, I just don't see the Flames doing it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:15 AM   #202
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is, I just don't see the Flames doing it.
The problem is that he is still on the books next season when we need the cash for Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Kylington. If he can't be traded, that's worse dead weight salary than James Neal was.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:32 AM   #203
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It seems he’s damaged goods now. It’s sad because he is a likeable guy we’ve all watched come up in our system. As a beaten up, accident-prone goalie, I understand the frustration of your body never being able to keep up with yoir mind anymore. It feels like the old you, except wearing uncomfortable weight belts randomly strapped all over your body. I wish I knew when I was younger that’s eventually what happens when you collect injuries over time.

Having said that, given his character and skills, I’m not nearly ready to write him off or shove him off the team yet. He seems to get a new hand or wrist every off-season so I could see how that might affect a player. It’s common for some players to take a bit of extra time to be firing on all cylinders. Wrist surgery would even affect his off-season fitness level coming into camp. I’m waiting a lot longer than a quarter of the season to bother with any thoughts of harsh judgement. I’m just rooting for the guy to hang in there and start to bounce back.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stampede2TheCup For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 01:47 AM   #204
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I really do feel for Monny. The guy was great his first 6 seasons. He still put up decent numbers in his 7th season but you could tell he was declining. Now he’s just rough to watch. I remember that one thread we had on here comparing his goal scoring output to Iggy’s first 5 seasons and how similar they were to each other. Now it looks like he’d be lucky to score 20 again
Old 11-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #205
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's only 27. Hard to imagine his career coming to a close so quickly, but injuries can be devastating.

However, if he learns how to repurpose his game to a bottom 6 role, he could play many more years. Of course, it's never been a strength of his to check and play defense, so it may not happen, but if anyone can teach it, Darryl can.

Give him this season to see how he looks, and then make a decision by the end. Trade, buyout, or playing out the contract. I don't see him being re-signed unless he becomes quite valuable again, and even then it would be at a discount to his current deal.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #206
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He's only 27. Hard to imagine his career coming to a close so quickly, but injuries can be devastating.

However, if he learns how to repurpose his game to a bottom 6 role, he could play many more years. Of course, it's never been a strength of his to check and play defense, so it may not happen, but if anyone can teach it, Darryl can.

Give him this season to see how he looks, and then make a decision by the end. Trade, buyout, or playing out the contract. I don't see him being re-signed unless he becomes quite valuable again, and even then it would be at a discount to his current deal.
Would he be better off trying to become a winger? Could he be our missing shooter???
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #207
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Luckily he's been productive on a pretty good powerplay ... 10 points in 21 games and on pace for what 38-40 on the season.

It's only been 20 odd games since major surgery, and I'm guessing he didn't have his normal off season.

It could be the injury and that's that, but still think we need more time.

To me though five on five or powerplay if he gets 40 points this year they can eat salary and move his final year. They won't have to buy him out.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #208
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

He’s also winning big face offs. Like on the PP goal last night.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #209
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Luckily he's been productive on a pretty good powerplay ... 10 points in 21 games and on pace for what 38-40 on the season.

It's only been 20 odd games since major surgery, and I'm guessing he didn't have his normal off season.

It could be the injury and that's that, but still think we need more time.

To me though five on five or powerplay if he gets 40 points this year they can eat salary and move his final year. They won't have to buy him out.
I personally don’t think he’s been that productive. He is on pace for less than 8 goals. Yeah some PP assists are helping the point totals but I have a hard time giving him too much credit for what the PP is doing.

I like Monahan and I never question his compete level but his game is now in no man’s land and they’re asking him to play low event hockey.

I hope there is still lingering effects from the surgery and we see a bit of a resurgence. The Monahan you see right now is pretty untradeable, even if you eat some money. He has to get to maybe 12 to 15 goals for someone to think he could help their team IMO.

And beyond trading, this team could use some production from him. Someone other than 88 needs to chip in, can’t count on the first line and the PP for everything.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:27 AM   #210
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I personally don’t think he’s been that productive. He is on pace for less than 8 goals. Yeah some PP assists are helping the point totals but I have a hard time giving him too much credit for what the PP is doing.

I like Monahan and I never question his compete level but his game is now in no man’s land and they’re asking him to play low event hockey.

I hope there is still lingering effects from the surgery and we see a bit of a resurgence. The Monahan you see right now is pretty untradeable, even if you eat some money. He has to get to maybe 12 to 15 goals for someone to think he could help their team IMO.

And beyond trading, this team could use some production from him. Someone other than 88 needs to chip in, can’t count on the first line and the PP for everything.
Honestly I'm not arguing any of that.

I'm just saying a 40 point season will have a team willing to take a chance on a 28 year old.

Trying to quell the abject negativity on buying a guy out 20 games into a recovery from surgery.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #211
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The problem is that he is still on the books next season when we need the cash for Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Kylington. If he can't be traded, that's worse dead weight salary than James Neal was.
Unfair and inaccurate.

Neal was a poison probably before he even set foot in the locker room. He pouted and sulked and who knows what else he did behind closed doors. The Flames could not get rid of him fast enough.

Monahan is a pro. He cares and he is doing the best he can with what’s been asked. If injuries have set his abilities back, that’s an unfortunate circumstance for the team, but worse for him. It’s too bad but he’s not the first and certainly won’t be the last to have injuries limit his effectiveness or change him from what he once was.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #212
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtravellee View Post
Would he be better off trying to become a winger? Could he be our missing shooter???
Monny is the reason why we need a shooter. That's the part of his game which is missing.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #213
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm just saying a 40 point season will have a team willing to take a chance on a 28 year old.

Trying to quell the abject negativity on buying a guy out 20 games into a recovery from surgery.
Well I agree you don’t buy a player out a quarter through the season. It’s a good question, if Monahan played exactly as he is now for the rest of the season, finishing with 8 goals and 39 points does someone trade for him with salary retained by the Flames? I’m really not so sure.

I see it going two ways. Monahan progresses as the season goes along and gets into the teens for goals.

Or he doesn’t progress. The team adds scoring depth at the deadline and he gets pushed further down the lineup and onto PP2.

Assuming he stays healthy. Actually assuming he is heathy now, I don’t really know if he is.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #214
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Don't think it's negativity. Fan 960 guys are usually pretty pro Flames and they've been beating the buy him out drum the last 2 weeks or so.

I really don't think anyone would take him at his salary even if it's only one year. I think Flames would need to give up assets to get rid of his contract.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #215
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
You mean it's not all just his linemates weighing him down?
He hasn’t been effective with anybody and they are smart enough to remove him from Johnny.

All we are expecting now is some contribution on the 3rd line but he can’t.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #216
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The unfortunate reality is the production that he does have comes from being the beneficiary of being on a very good PP unit. His even strength production is 2 assists through 21 games.

Other team see that too. Is another GM thinking he’s a player that’s about to pop? They are probably going to see more downside at this point.

Flames are doing the right thing trying to rehabilitate his play, giving some opportunities on the PP while allowing the teams top players to play with linemates that maximize team results.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #217
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Monny is the reason why we need a shooter. That's the part of his game which is missing.
The issue seems to be he takes too long to get shots off. Really he's just too slow period. Not sure he can regain it. Maybe to some extent with conditioning but seems very unlikely over the course of this season.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #218
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd still give him the year at least to see if he's still got game in his repaired body at all.

Last thing you want is a buyout then another team benefitting from him finding some semblance of his former game.

He's not That far removed from productive hockey. 2020 bubble he led the team. We're talking 15 months since then.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #219
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quite frankly I miss Moneyhands. He is one of the flames all time great goal scorers. Hip surgery would affect normal plebs like us but elite athletes like him will likely take longer. I remain hopeful he gets his strength and shot back. He has not looked good but the guy has earned a longer look on this team than 20 games, especially considering he played all of last year with a bad hip.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #220
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I too miss the moneyhands.

From the non-chalant garbage man tap ins to the top corner lasers.

Dude was good for scoring on the Oilers pretty regularly early on too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soft