Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #1641
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

At 3.40$ per pill with shipping included, the 20 mg CBD pills I take with trace or no THC is not worth it. I had some relief from back pain but not total relief. I would take 2 pills but .. cmon. I'm going to spend 7 dollars everytime I need some pain relief? That price needs to come down.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #1642
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know much about people from New Zealand, but in 2020 I'm a bit shocked they'd vote no to legalizing cannabis.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7431750/n...cannabis-vote/
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #1643
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I don't know much about people from New Zealand, but in 2020 I'm a bit shocked they'd vote no to legalizing cannabis.

Yeah that really surprises me. I, like you, don't know a lot about NZ culture/society. From my vantage point on the other side of the world it seems pretty forward thinking.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #1644
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Especially when they have countries like ours that have shown no down sides that I can think of to legalization. Rake in tax revenue, a bunch of us are no longer criminals overnight, and it's fun AF to use. It's absurd some people want to take that away from others.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #1645
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, it's their choice. Not every ''liberal'' society needs to follow what other Western countries do. I not an expert in NZ society, but maybe smoking weed isn't viewed as pleasurable as it is here. The people voted and chose. I have no issue with that result. I say this as someone who enjoys a good toke.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #1646
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Meh, it's their choice. Not every ''liberal'' society needs to follow what other Western countries do. I not an expert in NZ society, but maybe smoking weed isn't viewed as pleasurable as it is here. The people voted and chose. I have no issue with that result. I say this as someone who enjoys a good toke.

they voted overwhelmingly for assisted suicide, but voted against allowing a person to legally take something to make those last few days or months more bearable.

I was just surprised and thought that weird.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #1647
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
For people that don't consume cannabis, it really doesn't matter whether it's legal or not. It's legality doesn't affect them, but here they are taking that away from people who want to consume cannabis. It doesn't seem fair and it would certainly be frustrating to be in NZ and have your neighbours vote to keep you a criminal when they had the power to let you do your thing free of legal consequences.

If cannabis consumers are in the minority, then maybe they needed some help from the government to protect them from the will of the majority. If we let the majority dictate everything, then minority rights would be harmed.

Seems unjust.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #1648
Guest1

And don't they have the perfect weather to grow it? Lots of money to be made!
Old 10-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #1649
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If I tell people I take edibles, many here still look at me like I'm kind of naughty. How long has it been legal now?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #1650
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no issue with the result, just surprised by it considering all their other approaches to societal issues.

I say this as someone who doesn't enjoy a good toke.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #1651
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If I tell people I take edibles, many here still look at me like I'm kind of naughty. How long has it been legal now?
Maybe don't have a bowl of "gummie bears" on your desk...........

Quote:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #1652
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely still feels like its taboo here. I'm on the social committee at my job and we have (or used to) lots of events where drinking is almost encouraged, but there is zero talk ever about consuming any cannabis. I thought it would be more widespread for sure by now.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #1653
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

It hasn't been anywhere long enough to overcome decades of cannabis being taboo. It will happen but it's going to take much more time. I think there's already been some change in peoples attitudes alreadyTBH.

I absolutely think that the Hollywood type takes on cannabis consumption from organizations like "MADD" is putting out aren't helping. Like the guy driving through the drivethru chuckling to himself the whole time while doing the "wait, what??" drives me nuts.

Consuming cannabis in real life is almost always nothing like how they show it in movies and TV shows.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 10-30-2020 at 11:10 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #1654
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Definitely still feels like its taboo here. I'm on the social committee at my job and we have (or used to) lots of events where drinking is almost encouraged, but there is zero talk ever about consuming any cannabis. I thought it would be more widespread for sure by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
It hasn't been anywhere long enough to overcome decades of cannabis being taboo. It will happen but it's going to take much more time. I think there's already been some change in peoples attitudes alreadyTBH.

I absolutely think that the Hollywood type takes on cannabis consumption from organizations like "MADD" is putting out aren't helping. Like the guy driving through the drivethru chuckling to himself the whole time while doing the "wait, what??" drives me nuts.

Consuming cannabis in real life is almost always nothing like how they show it in movies and TV shows.
There are still some segments of society that view drinking as "bad".

I mean we can't even enjoy a picnic and a beer in a public park.

Quote:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #1655
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
When cannabis was officially legalized, the last place I worked at sent out an e-mail telling everyone how cannabis was not to be used at any work related function (ie: don't show up stoned), blah blah blah. Of course, there was never mention of people refraining from getting black-out drunk at the company Christmas party.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #1656
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

25 per cent of Canadians used pot in the last year (fewer than 20 per cent recreationally). 80 per cent consume alcohol.

Anyone expecting pot to become as socially acceptable as drinking any time soon is going to be disappointed.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-30-2020 at 12:21 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #1657
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
When cannabis was officially legalized, the last place I worked at sent out an e-mail telling everyone how cannabis was not to be used at any work related function (ie: don't show up stoned), blah blah blah. Of course, there was never mention of people refraining from getting black-out drunk at the company Christmas party.
I brought gummies to my Xmas party and had them sitting on the table for anyone who wanted. No issues
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #1658
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
25 per cent of Canadians used pot in the last year (fewer than 20 per cent recreationally). 80 per cent consume alcohol.

Anyone expecting pot to become as socially acceptable as drinking any time soon is going to be disappointed.
What percentage of those groups are judgey snobs?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #1659
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yeah that really surprises me. I, like you, don't know a lot about NZ culture/society. From my vantage point on the other side of the world it seems pretty forward thinking.
Quote:
Especially when they have countries like ours that have shown no down sides that I can think of to legalization. Rake in tax revenue, a bunch of us are no longer criminals overnight, and it's fun AF to use. It's absurd some people want to take that away from others.
Quote:
Quote:
they voted overwhelmingly for assisted suicide, but voted against allowing a person to legally take something to make those last few days or months more bearable.

I was just surprised and thought that weird.
Quote:
For people that don't consume cannabis, it really doesn't matter whether it's legal or not. It's legality doesn't affect them, but here they are taking that away from people who want to consume cannabis. It doesn't seem fair and it would certainly be frustrating to be in NZ and have your neighbours vote to keep you a criminal when they had the power to let you do your thing free of legal consequences.

If cannabis consumers are in the minority, then maybe they needed some help from the government to protect them from the will of the majority. If we let the majority dictate everything, then minority rights would be harmed.

Seems unjust.
Where to start. I am very disappointed in the preliminary results that came out yesterday, although they are only preliminary results. There are still almost 500 000 special votes to be counted and they would need to go 2:1 in favour in order to tip the vote the other way. It's unlikely but not impossible.

The No side was backed by a large campaign of misinformation and fear mongering, and it was very well funded. I got bomabarded with ads from the Say Nope to Dope campaign for months and while I dismissed it as rubbish it seems a lot of voters didn't. This was EVERYWHERE on social media in the leadup to the election. There have been allegations that the No campaign was backed by US based anti drug lobbies as well.

The Yes campaign, championed by the Green Party, used a fact, science and health based approach. It focused on what was being done in other countries such as Canada, it focused on the potential tax revenue, the reduction in gang control, etc. It was backed by NZ doctors. What it lacked was catchy slogans and big funding, and apparently that was enough for it to fail (again, votes aren't done being counted).

I'm most disappointed in PM Jacinda Ardern's approach to the referendum. She refused to say which way she was voting under the guise of not wanting to influence the public's decision, even though the opposition National party did not reciprocate as their leader and all their MPs announced they were voting No. Only yesterday after preliminary votes were announced did she publicly state that she had voted in favour. This is one person who understood the issue very well, who absolutely could have influenced the vote, but refused to do so out of fear of losing political capital for herself and her own party.

Also, this referendum is non-binding. The (now labour majority) government could still introduce legislation, or a half measure like decriminalising personal use. I hope they do, but of course they won't due to the potential backlash. Hope I'm wrong.

What a mess.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #1660
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Direct democracy sucks.

People don’t have the knowledge to effectively determine if legalization is the correct Solution. We elect people whose job it is to study these issues and make a decision based on the best available data

Referendums are not effective. Just to some polling and it’s close enough. 2/3rds of New Zealanders are against pot legalization. A referendum wasn’t required to get that information.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: