Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2024, 07:02 PM   #1
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
Default Job Hunt Question

I'll start by saying I like my job, I like where I work, I like the people I work with. I've been there for a few years now, and am doing really well.

However, there are two positions that I have recently applied for as they both would be great working environments with more money, and benefits.

I say that as if I don't get either. I may not get either position. I'm happy where I'm at, and if I get one, I'd move but not due to anything negative.

My query is this:

Of the two jobs I've applied for, one application process is proceeding at a far faster rate than the other.

Today one of the positions contacted me about references after I interviewed earlier in the week.

The second position emailed today to say I've moved on to the next stage.

I want to make an informed decision.

If offered the first position I may not know for another few weeks/months about the second position.

I may not get the second position.

Not to sound full of myself, but I truly believe I'd be a frontrunner (if not the frontrunner) in each position.

Assuming I do get the first position, how do I handle it to keep the second position open without burning bridges?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 05-17-2024 at 07:04 PM.
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:21 PM   #2
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honesty is the best policy. If you truly like the first job, then sign the acceptance letter. Then contact the second job and let them know of your decision and politely decline going any further in the process. If you've had a telephone interview with the second job and liked the experience, tell them. But make it clear that you'll not be going forward with the second offer.

Tbh, the second job would appreciate you being forthcoming so that they can make other offer letters to other candidates.

The true pickle is if the second job offers a ton more money lol
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 07:47 PM   #3
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

If "job 1" makes an offer to you and "job 2" still haven't "progressed to that stage", you don't owe it to job 2 to wait out their processes and see what they have to offer you. If job 1 make an offer, and give you some time to consider, you can reach out to job 2 and let them know you have an offer in hand from job 1 (although don't tell them who job 1 are), and if they don't get back to you by job 1's acceptance deadline, you're going to accept job 1's offer and job 2 shouldn't proceed any further with your application, thank them for their time, blah blah blah.

Or if job 1's offer is compelling enough that you don't care to even know what job 2's potential offer would be, just take it! Just tell job 2 you've accepted an offer from another company, thank them for their time, blah blah blah.

It's not up to you to wait until job 2 get their poop in a group to process your application. You snooze, you lose! You think they'd give a single, solitary #### if you missed an application deadline? No.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:48 PM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have a preference for the second job or is this maximizing earnings? If you much prefer the second then taking the risk and letting the process play out with the second might be worth it. One option with the second job is once you have the first offer in hand just tell them that you received another offer but would prefer there position if they can make a final decision by X date.

I know when I have done first rounds of interviews and then there is a manager/exec interview that not once has it changed the guy I wanted. So as long as you have had an in person with your future boss they have enough information to make a decision and if your future boss wants you that much they will make it happen not to lose you. If they aren’t accommodating about getting you an offer within a week you probably aren’t their first choice.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:39 PM   #5
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The issue is their both government jobs (one provincial, one federal).

I could be in job 1 for months before I hear on job 2.

That said, when all is said and done I might still choose job 1 over job 2. The compensation for job 1 might actually be higher than job 2. Some of the perks are better.

I'm trying not to pick one right now. Again, I'd been in the position where politics prevented me from getting positions I deserved. So I never get my hopes up.

And, while I think I'd be a frontrunner, if not the frontrunner, that doesn't mean that an amazing candidate comes out of nowhere.

I'm not used to having multiple options or potential options on the go.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:52 PM   #6
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Without burning bridges, you contact the second potential employer and let them know that you appreciate the opportunity, however you have accepted another position with a different employer.

Make sure that the first job is what you want and that everything in the written offer is as discussed.

I’ve missed out on really strong candidates in the past because of geographic preference and an explanation that is timely and transparent is definitely appreciated with zero hard feelings or concerns regarding future employment.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2024, 08:54 PM   #7
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do whatever's best for you. If you're honest about the whole thing it shouldn't burn a bridge, but there's lots of petty people out there and it might.

If you take job 1 then job 2 becomes a better offer take that one. No one else is going to look out for you and you have nothing to gain by not pursuing a better opportunity except to save a company's feelings which will not benefit you at all.

In my experience as a supervisor I've had tons of people leave for other opportunities and it's only ever pissed me off if they give 0 notice, like walk out that day.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:55 PM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

If it's a government position, the government won't take notes of how you handled things. However, the individual people in the process will likely hold a grudge if they feel slighted. Be polite and up front with both employers but don't feel like you owe either any loyalty yet. Do try to give the position you are turning down as much notice as possible and don't lead them on. They are trying to fill a position and each stage likely cuts off possibilities for them for candidates. Also you might be screwing over someone who would've moved to to the next stage of you'd decided earlier.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:56 PM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being that this is the government there isn't much that can be done to speed the process up. If it was private sector and company 2 was much slower than company 1 and an offer was made I would tell company 2 that a similar offer has presented and is being considered to see if that would speed things up but that probably doesn't work with the government.

This is probably a big difference between government and private recruitment but any company that drags their feet and has a very slow, convoluted process probably isn't worth working for. My current company has a great process and they don't waste time and make candidates go through multiple rounds. They empower Managers to make hiring decisions quickly and things are usually done in two weeks. A year ago, I had an interview with a company and at the end I asked what their process and timeline looked like. The Manager I was interviewing with told me there would be 5 more interviews with various people across the company. I told him not to bother proceeding with me.

I've even had one company tell me it would be 4 interviews with each one at a higher level of Management. It was a pretty entry level role and the final interview was with the CEO. I don't understand why any CEO would want to be part of the hiring process for entry level people that are way down the chain unless they are a significant micromanager which is obviously a bad sign.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 05-17-2024 at 09:01 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:21 PM   #10
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's ok to be a bit selfish here, within reason and do what's best for you. I am a manager in a large pseudo government organization. I hire a fair number of IT workers with high demand skills. It's just part of my job knowing we are going to lose some candidates at various phases, and even after they start.

In terms of burning bridges, if someone turns us down either early in the process or late, they are generally not going to get a second chance. No ill feelings against them, we just want people who want to be here.

I don't know if you can get away without telling the 2nd job that you haven't taken the 1st job though. Unless things are different in Canadian government jobs, that will come out in background checks and if you weren't forthcoming then you'd fail the background check.

Your best bet is, if you accept the first job, then tell the second job you are planning to take it, but you'd prefer to work for them (if you are at least leaning towards preferring that). If they really value you as a candidate, they'll expedite the process to get you an offer quickly.

If their hands are tied by requirements for a lengthy interview process and D&I panel interviews, etc, then they may disclose that and either offer to continue to go forward with you or decide you aren't worth the trouble.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:41 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

You may be able to negotiate a start date.

I work in the provincial government and one of my co-workers accepted a federal government position. They originally wanted her to start in May but she said she wanted to stay at her current job to finish up some things she has been working on and asked if they would be open for a September start, and they were were fine with that. Personally, I think she wanted to delay it because she had summer holidays planned already and didn't want to start a new job by asking for holidays, which I get that.

Anyway, it might not hurt to just ask. Say that you are willing to start when they need you if you don't want to lose the offer, but maybe ask if the start date is firm and see what they say.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:31 AM   #12
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honesty always wins. If job #1 is sending you an offer, you can tell them directly that you'll decide in a week or two because you are expecting another offer. Tell job #2 that you have an offer on hand and you're deciding in a week. I did exactly this in 2022 and everyone is still friendly.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 06:38 AM   #13
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Having hired a ton of people it’s not at all uncommon for a candidate to withdraw due to finding another opportunity. Most people hiring know that if someone is looking for a job with me, they are probably looking elsewhere and the timelines are not the same. It sounds like job 1 is your choice if offered it and the two roles are far enough apart in recruiting timelines that you won’t get to see both offers and make a choice between them.

If you like the job 1 offer and don’t want to gamble I’d be inclined to take it. I’d inform job 2 before you sign the acceptance that you have another offer and there’s a deadline. They will likely tell you good luck and that’s that. Rarely, they will say hold on we wan to make you and offer and then you get both, but given it’s the government I doubt it.

The only thing that would get people really pissed here is if you accept job 1, keep recruiting for job 2 and leave job 1 a few months in because you liked job 2 better.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:56 AM   #14
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm surprised at most the comments. I always tell people (even my staff) take every opportunity you have. The way people hire now and take their sweet time. I would take the first job if you want it. If the second job comes around choose it with no remorse...

Or take the offers back to the current employer (since you are willing to leave but still like it) and try to get them to match the salary too.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:00 AM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take both if you can get 'em. Work from home and see how long you can collect 2 paycheques, or until you decide which one you like most. May require some deception.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 08:06 AM   #16
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Take both if you can get 'em. Work from home and see how long you can collect 2 paycheques, or until you decide which one you like most. May require some deception.
Finally someone with the right advice.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:47 AM   #17
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or subcontract one of the jobs out to India and just manage it while taking a 50% cut or whatever. I remember reading a story about that years ago where someone had a bunch of jobs working remote and was getting people in India to do the work.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 04:27 PM   #18
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Or subcontract one of the jobs out to India and just manage it while taking a 50% cut or whatever. I remember reading a story about that years ago where someone had a bunch of jobs working remote and was getting people in India to do the work.
I think that was around a month back.

I’ve had a verbal offer after 1 interview and they wanted an immediate response. I had other irons in the fire and said I would reply within 2 business days. They weren’t super happy about it but said ok. The bad vibes and spidey sense was tingling hard for me. I checked with the 2nd role and they could not expedite. I phoned back 2 days later to accept the first (I needed work)and was told they’d given it to someone the same day I’d first spoken to them. Saaaay what!!?

Turns out the first hiring manager was a real piece (and was an VP) and burned through people like crazy. He had created a profitable enough model that his company ignored the chaos and high turnover. ######. Glad I missed that drama. Ended up with a decent contract elsewhere.

I stayed in touch with the 2nd company people via networking. A year later the 2nd company offered me a contract role and rate I couldn’t turn down. It was a great ride for 6 months then they messed with managers and my amazing boss left… and I left soon after too.

My long winded point being do what’s best for you, be clear on what you want, always have a plan B, be clear respectful and polite. Stay in touch with those you work or interview well with. Don’t burn bridges unless you need to.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 05:24 PM   #19
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
I literally laughed out loud at this, if I could pull that off it'd be incredibly impressive!

Old 05-18-2024, 08:02 PM   #20
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

I'm trying not to pick one right now. Again, I'd been in the position where politics prevented me from getting positions I deserved. So I never get my hopes up.
I think you should pick one right now. Not to get your hopes up, but make sure you know which one would be your preference.

I once had a similar situation. Interviewing for two jobs and heard from the one earlier than the other. I did ask for some time to think of it (can't remember how much) but still hadn't heard back from the second one. In the end, I decided the second one was a strong preference for me, so I turned down the first one. And I was unemployed at the time! (I did get offered the second one the following week.)

Even if you do take the first one and want to leave a month later for the second, I don't think you're burning bridges as long as you're professional about it. Let them know you received an offer that you just can't turn down because it's closer to home, more in your field, whatever, and give as much notice as possible. (I did that too and stayed on good terms with the person in charge who wished me well and said we would hopefully work together in the future.)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote