Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:
Default Wealthsimple Cash

Wealthsimple Cash launched yesterday (https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/product/cash), and it seems really interesting. It's described as a hybrid spending/savings account with 2.4% interest. You receive a card that can be used to spend instantly from your account like a debit card, and they have no fees for ATM withdrawals, including reimbursing the fees from ATM withdrawals by other institutions.

I'm really intrigued. I have concerns about how well they handle fraud, as for example, Mastercard was good at reimbursing me when my card was stolen once.
Wealthsimple Cash accounts are also protected by the Canadian Investor Protection Fund as opposed to the Canada Deposit Insurance Corp. like most major bank accounts. I'm unsure of the implications of that, but I think any risk would be small as Wealthsimple is apparently partnered with two major banks.

I think I'll use my Wealthsimple Cash account for short term goals like vacations, etc. Earning a bit of interest toward that would be good, I'll still keep my no-fee chequing account at another institution for now.

Anyone else open an account? It sounds really unique compared to other spending/saving options.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't make sense from your description, a 'bank' that has only been around a couple of years offers a bank account that offers long term savings account interest rates without requiring you to keep your money in and charges no fees for one of the banking industries biggest earner.

Is Bernie Maddoff on the board of advisors?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It doesn't make sense from your description, a 'bank' that has only been around a couple of years offers a bank account that offers long term savings account interest rates without requiring you to keep your money in and charges no fees for one of the banking industries biggest earner.

Is Bernie Maddoff on the board of advisors?
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Apparently, Wealthsimple charges a fee to vendors when you use the card, and that's largely how they make money from it.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

my question is more how do they offer 2.4%? I need to leave $1000 in my bank for 2 years to get that, because they have to invest it, probably in some schmoes mortgage where he pays 3.4% and they keep the difference.

On paper this is a bank with no way to earn money
Old 01-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
my question is more how do they offer 2.4%? I need to leave $1000 in my bank for 2 years to get that, because they have to invest it, probably in some schmoes mortgage where he pays 3.4% and they keep the difference.

Suspect it's a loss leader to get people to use their investment services. It is less protected than a normal bank though if you are worried about them going under.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Suspect it's a loss leader to get people to use their investment services. It is less protected than a normal bank though if you are worried about them going under.
I'm worried about their CEO dying in India unexpectedly and he being the only guy with the key to the safe
Old 01-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm worried about their CEO dying in India unexpectedly and he being the only guy with the key to the safe
Wealthsimple is backed by Power Corp. It's the same company that is Investors Group, Great West Life, Canada Life, etc.

With the CIPF and CDIC you have a different kind of protection, but this isn't some fly-by-night crypto bank or anything like that. It's surely designed to get people to use this bank account on an IIROC platform and hope/push them to transition to investing through them as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They earn interchange on every transaction and will use to cross sell their investment products.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

eqbank has been offering 2.3% for years.

Some smaller banks lately have been offering 2.8% or even 3.3% in a chequing account.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You pay by getting marketing phone calls every few days trying to sell you their other products. So in a sense, the "free" savings account is offset by a payment of annoyance.
AnonymousStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #11
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Cash is trash". Should be throwing that in BYND stock and just racking up your HELOC when you need funds instead.

Disclaimer - NOT a financial adviser (obviously)
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #12
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
You pay by getting marketing phone calls every few days trying to sell you their other products. So in a sense, the "free" savings account is offset by a payment of annoyance.
I've never received a phone call from Wealthsimple. I've had a TFSA with them for a while.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #13
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post

I've had money invested with Wealthsimple for a few months now, including this specific savings accounts, and I've had zero calls
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Then CIBC needs to take a page out of wealthsimple's book and STOP WITH THE GOD DAMNED PHONE CALLS. NO I DON'T WANT TO BUY YOUR ACTIVELY MANAGED GARBAGE THAT CHARGES A 1.5 to 3% FEE!
AnonymousStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #15
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've had money invested with Wealthsimple for a few months now, including this specific savings accounts, and I've had zero calls
Ya I have been with them for 18 months and have had zero calls as well and really like their product.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #16
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Have my investments with Wealthsimple and have been very happy with them. Have never gotten any phone calls from them. (Weird take)

I'll probably watch on the sidelines for now because I tend to use my credit card for day to day transactions rather than my debit card, but it's nice to see some innovation and shakeup with chequing accounts. Would be nice to get a interest rate on the funds going in and out of your chequing account though.

I'm a little bit confused about how much of a big deal the the CDIC vs CIPF thing is as well.
Either way, nice to see some innovation!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #17
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have had money in WealthSimple basically since they started operating, and I've never received a call.

Lots of emails though.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #18
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a bit of a land-rush developing right now for these "digital only" banks/financial institutes, hence the questionable "loss leader" interest rates being offered as they try to secure market share.

ATB has been prepping Brightside for a couple years now, I know of at least one other similar start up in the city focused on this sector, and some other group is also pushing at 2.4% with billboards around the city.

For the most part they'll all building "digital first" experiences, that look to remove much of the friction from traditional banking. No you can't walk into a branch, and getting a person on the phone may be a challenge, but much like budget mobile carriers you'll be able to carry out most common task through apps/websites.

Their target market would appear to be young professionals working in the digital gig economy, I mean if your "employer" is already an app, why not have your financial provider be one to?

Having said that while their cash offering holds little appeal for me, I do have an RRSP with WealthSimple and no real concerns for the security of my holdings with them. I assume cash would be no different.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #19
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to assume off the bat that you can't just have cheques and payroll deposited into this thing. Too bad, they'd get a ton of business from that alone.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #20
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm going to assume off the bat that you can't just have cheques and payroll deposited into this thing. Too bad, they'd get a ton of business from that alone.
You know what they say about assumptions, right?

Quote:
Direct deposit. Now you can start earning interest the day you get paid — you can simply have your paycheque deposited right into your Wealthsimple Cash account.
https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/magazine/news-cash
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post: