Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Radio Controlled Aircraft field in Ogden/Dover

Hi all,

In the early 80's my dad used to fly radio controlled airplanes at an airfield in the Ogden/Dover/Shepard area of Calgary. We're not exactly sure where it was, and he can't answer as he is no longer with us. Does anyone have an recollection or knowledge of a location where this might have been? I don't think it actually exists any longer.

My google skills have not been able to come up with an answer.

Thanks

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it was part of Race City (or at least near it), which closed in 2010 or so

It's was in the SE near 114th Ave, which is all industrial property and I believe the water treatment plant is where Race City used to be
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I vaguely remember this, but wouldn’t be able to help pinpoint the location. It was probably around 1990 when I was in Cubs and we built rockets and went there to launch them. And the RC guys gave us a little air show as well. I think that this happened a couple of times during my time in Cubs.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm pretty sure it was right around the dump off 17th Ave SE and 68th Street, I'm positive I've been there. But I don't think it's there anymore.

This is the only reference I could find to it:

http://www.modelland.com/clubs/

"CRAMS Their flying field is located just south of 17 Ave SE and ½ mile east of 68 St SE."
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was located in the southwest corner of Barlow tr and 50th ave se, the paved strip was about where the Brick warehouse now stands. CRAMS moved to the 17th location around 1998
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
It was located in the southwest corner of Barlow tr and 50th ave se, the paved strip was about where the Brick warehouse now stands. CRAMS moved to the 17th location around 1998

Thanks everyone. I remember him showing it to me once when we were biking down the river and it wasn't very far off the river path. This location seems like it might be the one I was trying to remember.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just east of the Indus Aire Park on 22X there is a model plane club with runways.

https://www.maac.ca/en/clubs_details.php?club_id=196

edit: Oh, you're looking for that specific one, not just a club in general...(reading comprehension ftw).
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:55 AM   #8
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Just east of the Indus Aire Park on 22X there is a model plane club with runways.

https://www.maac.ca/en/clubs_details.php?club_id=196

edit: Oh, you're looking for that specific one, not just a club in general...(reading comprehension ftw).
Odd place to put an RC club with a small aircraft airport next door, not sure I would like a 7ft model coming threw the windshield of my Piper, even worst there's a lot of ultralights at the Indus strip
Old 01-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Odd place to put an RC club with a small aircraft airport next door, not sure I would like a 7ft model coming threw the windshield of my Piper, even worst there's a lot of ultralights at the Indus strip
The R/C club limits are the tree lines. The ultralight planes shouldn't be that close to the airport and not be lined up with the runway. There are probably usage agreements between them both.

In the USA, there are R/C clubs using actual airports for activities. There is an argument that this actually increases safety because you know where the GA aircraft will be, instead of randomly flying over your R/C strip. (With rockets, we close airspace with Notams, but still aircraft fly over).

Unfortunately then things like this happen when someone doesn't follow rules. https://jalopnik.com/video-crash-of-...gfight-5617310
Old 01-23-2020, 02:43 AM   #10
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
The R/C club limits are the tree lines. The ultralight planes shouldn't be that close to the airport and not be lined up with the runway. There are probably usage agreements between them both.

In the USA, there are R/C clubs using actual airports for activities. There is an argument that this actually increases safety because you know where the GA aircraft will be, instead of randomly flying over your R/C strip. (With rockets, we close airspace with Notams, but still aircraft fly over).

Unfortunately then things like this happen when someone doesn't follow rules. https://jalopnik.com/video-crash-of-...gfight-5617310
On the very flying field that started this thread I once saw a fellow try to land a dead stick 1/4 scale model Spitfire threw a living room window (fortunately no one was home) ...distance is deceiving

Myself having the training and skill to fly both full size and RC model aircraft I can tell you never to trust the judgement of an RC pilot if you're in the same airspace.

Here below the RC pilot is pissing around with gyro-scoped Extra-300 and is totally obvious that a full size aircraft is doing a flyby down the runway, this could have turned out really bad for the bi-plane pilot but it only meant about a $4000.00 wing repair and a lost $1000 model but it shows that RC and full sized shouldn't share airspace ever.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

My Dad used to fly there as well. I bet a quick call to the RC guys at PM Hobbycraft could get your question answered!
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
On the very flying field that started this thread I once saw a fellow try to land a dead stick 1/4 scale model Spitfire threw a living room window (fortunately no one was home) ...distance is deceiving

Myself having the training and skill to fly both full size and RC model aircraft I can tell you never to trust the judgement of an RC pilot if you're in the same airspace.

Here below the RC pilot is pissing around with gyro-scoped Extra-300 and is totally obvious that a full size aircraft is doing a flyby down the runway, this could have turned out really bad for the bi-plane pilot but it only meant about a $4000.00 wing repair and a lost $1000 model but it shows that RC and full sized shouldn't share airspace ever.
Lol did you even read the article posted above? The model was $8,000 and it was the bi-planes fault not the RC pilots...
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote