Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2021, 04:11 PM   #2361
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Man, looking for a fun four-door manual car is such a downer these days, let alone in a wagon. Is it true that Audi has nothing for me? I think an M3 has a manual, but I cannot deal with that front grill (ignoring they're more than I want to spend). It's fataing hideous and an absolute deal breaker.

The GTI and R are promising from a driving perspective, but the clusterfata of an interior looks to be a deal breaker there, too. Don't love the front end, either, although you hear a lot of peoples saying it looks better in person. I'll try it out for myself when they hit the dealerships soon here, but I'm not super excited going in, that's for sure.

Any other four-door wagons, hatches or cars that are at least a little premium (versus, say, a Veloster) that you guys can think of? AWD preferred, but FWD is acceptable. Looking for a year-round car.

I could just stick with my CLS because it's really fast and plenty premium with AWD, but the problem I'm finding is that because it's automatic, I actually have more fun driving my 2017 base VW Sportwagen that I had bought for my daughter (it's manual). Once she turns 16 soon here, I have to kiss that one goodbye and then I'm back to lame old auto-land.

Also, I could be biased against automatics because my CLS doesn't have a dual clutch (it's not the AMG) so the paddle shifting is pretty slow and unsatisfying...maybe the modern quick-shift dual clutches would be more engaging, but really, I just want a manual.
You might not be able to get your hands on one for a while, but the CT4-V Blackwing is a reasonable M3 competitor.

The Veloster is a reasonable 3 door compromise too on the cheaper end.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #2362
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
You might not be able to get your hands on one for a while, but the CT4-V Blackwing is a reasonable M3 competitor.

The Veloster is a reasonable 3 door compromise too on the cheaper end.
Isn't the CT4-V Blackwing RWD only, though? I wouldn't want that for my year-round car. It's also out of the budget, TBH.

Really, just want a a normal-guy car (not a $100k maxxed out car) that is fun, fast and can seat 4 people comfortably with a manual transmission. Also want it to be moderately mature (say GTI would be the lowest kinda class, I guess, I would go). I do like the Veloster, but it's a bit too immature-seeming to me. Same with the Civic Type R. I like both, just not for me.

In the end, not the end of the world. Just wanted to double-check I wasn't missing an obvious car that ticks my boxes.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #2363
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can wait a bit, it looks like the new Acura Integra will be a 4-door liftback and will offer a manual. It may offer most of what you're looking for, in probably a bit more of a grown up package than what you get with the Civic Type R.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...-speed-manual/

Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #2364
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always said that if you could just get a toned down version of the type-R without all the silly bull#### all over the outside that would be fine, and maybe that's what the Integra will be. Hopefully anyway.

... Although they'll probably then make an Integra type R and put the silly bull#### back on it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #2365
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Used 340i you can get in manual and xdrive, B58 engine will make 425hp with a flash tune and bolt ons.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #2366
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't the CT4-V Blackwing RWD only, though? I wouldn't want that for my year-round car. It's also out of the budget, TBH.

Really, just want a a normal-guy car (not a $100k maxxed out car) that is fun, fast and can seat 4 people comfortably with a manual transmission. Also want it to be moderately mature (say GTI would be the lowest kinda class, I guess, I would go). I do like the Veloster, but it's a bit too immature-seeming to me. Same with the Civic Type R. I like both, just not for me.

In the end, not the end of the world. Just wanted to double-check I wasn't missing an obvious car that ticks my boxes.
Fair enough, I thought since you were considering the M3 (other than its looks) you'd consider the CT-4.

I drive a RWD from 2006 (although it's automatic... sadly). With winter tires, I've never had problems on Calgary roads in the last 5 years.

You've probably thought about the M340i as well, but yeah can't buy it new and manual, gotta pick just one.

Don't think you've missed anything glaring. There's also the 2022 Civic in manual but it's not exactly that fast or sporty. Could also look at the WRX/STI in manual.

It's not exactly slim pickings but you have to compromise somewhere (used/new, 2dr/4dr, price point, etc.). I've also never bought (or tried to buy) a new car but i figure you'll have a tough time getting a deal or even just finding the model you're looking for with the right trim + manual.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #2367
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I've always said that if you could just get a toned down version of the type-R without all the silly bull#### all over the outside that would be fine, and maybe that's what the Integra will be. Hopefully anyway.

... Although they'll probably then make an Integra type R and put the silly bull#### back on it.
Have you seen the Civic Type R? There is no way that an Integra R is an less toned down than the Civic. I expect moreso than the Civic.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #2368
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How about a WRX? The 2022 editions have more cladding than most would like, but if you're looking for a reasonably priced, 4 seater, year round driver (i.e AWD) with a stick and 'spirited' driving character - that does tick the boxes....

Just don't get the gold BBS wheels and massive rear wing if you want to class it up a bit (which I believe are STI adds; the 'base' WRX doesn't have those)

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 10-25-2021 at 08:11 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #2369
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Used 340i you can get in manual and xdrive, B58 engine will make 425hp with a flash tune and bolt ons.
I really think it has to be new to lease through my business. That's why I have been looking at new, anyway. I typically prefer used cars, but not in this case because leasing gives you a nice write off and it is legitimately for my business.

Quote:
Fair enough, I thought since you were considering the M3 (other than its looks) you'd consider the CT-4.

I drive a RWD from 2006 (although it's automatic... sadly). With winter tires, I've never had problems on Calgary roads in the last 5 years.
I mean, I know I can handle rwd. I barely put my truck in 4x4 just because I enjoy rwd in crappy weather.

Having said that, I hit a mindset where I try to prioritize safety as much as I can and for that reason I want AWD or fwd because they are just safer in the winter.

Quote:
You've probably thought about the M340i as well, but yeah can't buy it new and manual, gotta pick just one.

Don't think you've missed anything glaring. There's also the 2022 Civic in manual but it's not exactly that fast or sporty. Could also look at the WRX/STI in manual.

It's not exactly slim pickings but you have to compromise somewhere (used/new, 2dr/4dr, price point, etc.). I've also never bought (or tried to buy) a new car but i figure you'll have a tough time getting a deal or even just finding the model you're looking for with the right trim + manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
How about a WRX? The 2022 editions have more cladding than most would like, but if you're looking for a reasonably priced, 4 seater, year round driver (i.e AWD) with a stick and 'spirited' driving character - that does tick the boxes....

Just don't get the gold BBS wheels and massive rear wing if you want to class it up a bit (which I believe are STI adds; the 'base' WRX doesn't have those)
Hah, guys, no I didn't even think of it for a second. It's like it didn't exist in my mind. Yeah, that's a great idea. I'm generally not a fan of Subaru, but if the sti still comes in manual I should at least check it out. Thinking back on some recentish reviews I've seen on it, I'm worried it won't be as refined/upscale as I'm hoping for, but I will watch some reviews tomorrow with fresh eyes.

Good thinking on that one.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:19 PM   #2370
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really reaching here but there's also the Mini Cooper S 5 door available with a 6 speed.

Unfortunately the AWD and Countryman variants are 8 speed Steptronics.

Too bad the Genesis G70 dropped the manual option for 2022 - could have been a strong contender....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 11:49 PM   #2371
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Legit question- what type of tax write off can you actually get out of a family sedan? I know people do it, but how do they get away with it? Or am I misunderstanding, and your business actually has consumer leasing contracts?
Old 10-26-2021, 06:16 AM   #2372
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could just stick with my CLS because it's really fast and plenty premium with AWD, but the problem I'm finding is that because it's automatic, I actually have more fun driving my 2017 base VW Sportwagen that I had bought for my daughter (it's manual). Once she turns 16 soon here, I have to kiss that one goodbye and then I'm back to lame old auto-land.

Also, I could be biased against automatics because my CLS doesn't have a dual clutch (it's not the AMG) so the paddle shifting is pretty slow and unsatisfying...maybe the modern quick-shift dual clutches would be more engaging, but really, I just want a manual.
This is one of the big reasons I let my E550 go. With its power, it was ungodly quick, quicker than any 4,200 lb. car had any business being. But for all that power and noise, there was part of it that left me woefully unsatisfied. It all came too easily, carpet the accelerator pedal coming out of the apex of a ramp, “oh look, I’m doing 160 again, best slow it down, -yawn-”.

I’m looking into a new winter vehicle and the CLS would be really well suited for that with the AWD. But if you want one car to pull year-round fun car duty, that’s a tough one, I’d sooner stick with the CLS and start looking for a dedicated summer car instead, probably used.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #2373
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can lease used cars...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #2374
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Really reaching here but there's also the Mini Cooper S 5 door available with a 6 speed.

Unfortunately the AWD and Countryman variants are 8 speed Steptronics.

Too bad the Genesis G70 dropped the manual option for 2022 - could have been a strong contender....
Yeah, I did like the thought of the manual G70, although apparently it wasn't that great of a gearbox. I could have lived with it, I'm sure. Talk about a great car to lease, too, with questionable resale value.

I had a 6-speed Mini Cooper S that I sold last summer. It was funnish, but ultimately just not good enough. Would plow a corner prematurely so I couldn't push it like I felt like I should be able to. A little slower than I wanted. Lazy throttle (I did end up fixing that with some gizmo I installed between the gas pedal and the ECU). I don't know, it was fun for a bit, but I got tired of it really fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Legit question- what type of tax write off can you actually get out of a family sedan? I know people do it, but how do they get away with it? Or am I misunderstanding, and your business actually has consumer leasing contracts?
Not an accountant, but this is my understanding.

I have a main corporation that pays my holding company that, in turn, pays me personally.

Everything is taxed as it moves down the line.

So say I make $100 in the main corp. Then to get it out, I have to pay my holding company, where say I'm taxed like 15% or something. Then I have to get it from the holding corp to me personally, where I pay, say, 22%. So that $100 goes to $85, then down to $66.30 before I can spend it personally. Now I'm buying a car with 35% less buying power to do it personally versus through the corp.

Same goes for registration, insurance, maintenance, winter tires, etc. It's a big savings to do it through the corp.

The other thing is you don't want your main corp really turning a profit (or much of one). You have to get the money out of the corp before year end, or that is taxed, too, in addition to your holding company and then you personally.

Can my company justify a vehicle lease or is it a grey area? This wouldn't be grey. I have offsite meetings pretty much daily and would use the company vehicle. It's not one of those gaming-the-systems things. It's a totally legitimate-by-any-measure write-off that would raise no red flags.

Another bonus for me is I would sell my CLS. That I do own personally and outright, so then it frees up the cash I have in that for other things and I no longer pay for insurance, maintenance, etc. with after-tax dollars on that vehicle.

Anyway, I probably fataed up some of how that works and maybe Locke or somebody will chime in, but that's the logic I'm going off of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
This is one of the big reasons I let my E550 go. With its power, it was ungodly quick, quicker than any 4,200 lb. car had any business being. But for all that power and noise, there was part of it that left me woefully unsatisfied. It all came too easily, carpet the accelerator pedal coming out of the apex of a ramp, “oh look, I’m doing 160 again, best slow it down, -yawn-”.

I’m looking into a new winter vehicle and the CLS would be really well suited for that with the AWD. But if you want one car to pull year-round fun car duty, that’s a tough one, I’d sooner stick with the CLS and start looking for a dedicated summer car instead, probably used.
I'm happy somebody can relate because it sounds like a stupid complaint. I know your E550 was tuned to about the same power as mine. And you're right, it's a bit of a yawn once you get used to the gobs of power. Off the line never gets old, mind you, but one time I was merging from Anderson onto Deerfoot North and booted it around the curve. The car started getting kind of squirrely so I let off and was thinking maybe I had a low tire or a suspension issue...nope. It just went from a reasonable speed to a wholly unreasonable speed so insanely quickly that it was just going too fast for the curve. But doing all that numbly without a lot of feedback until it hit uncomfortable feedback. IDK, perfect car for the autobahn, but not necessarily for Calgary.

I'm hoping for a year-round fun car. I usually have a summer car, but I'm just kind of getting tired of fataing around with vehicles all the time. Would be nice just to have one killer all-purpose vehicle that has all my #### in it and I'm not screwing around twice a year storing and un-storing. I also don't like a mess of vehicles at my house because I think it looks a bit trashy to have too many parked all over the place.

What would be the best is a B9 S4 Avant manual. Now that's a year-round fun car.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #2375
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Don't forget that if you're leasing a vehicle under the company name you'll have Taxable Automobile Benefits. While you get to deduct the lease costs, insurance, fuel and whatnot as auto expenses in the company you also have the annual calculations at year end to determine the taxable benefit.

CRA has a nice little online calculator to do this, and I use it for my staff with leased vehicles as it works quite well. The more expensive the car, and the less the work percentage of kms you drive the less practical it is to have a company leased vehicle.

I have an M3, which I own personally as I would get hammered with the taxable auto benefits as it's an expensive car, and my percentage of kms for work are very minimal.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #2376
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm happy somebody can relate because it sounds like a stupid complaint. I know your E550 was tuned to about the same power as mine. And you're right, it's a bit of a yawn once you get used to the gobs of power. Off the line never gets old, mind you, but one time I was merging from Anderson onto Deerfoot North and booted it around the curve. The car started getting kind of squirrely so I let off and was thinking maybe I had a low tire or a suspension issue...nope. It just went from a reasonable speed to a wholly unreasonable speed so insanely quickly that it was just going too fast for the curve. But doing all that numbly without a lot of feedback until it hit uncomfortable feedback. IDK, perfect car for the autobahn, but not necessarily for Calgary.
Off the line or needing to pass quickly on the highway, it was phenomenal in a practical use sense (550hp/705tq is indeed practical, also a safety feature). But it lacked theatre and fun. I have more fun now with 430 horsepower (and a 7,300 RPM peak powerband helps).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #2377
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If that Acura Integra is a four-door, AWD, standard transmission sportback that'll at least be around 250 hp, I'm probably going to be in the market. Don't think there's really anything comparable in that space right now.

Outside of the WRX, of course, which is my last one. Not a new fan of the redesign, but would have to see it in person and feel how it drives.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #2378
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highly doubtful the Integra is AWD. The WRX is now a CUV-lite (plastic fenders and cladding, raised ground clearance) so not really in the sporty car discussion anymore.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #2379
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Then there's a lot riding on the Golf R to be awesome, but that's not looking good. Maybe once you drive it you can ignore the downsides.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #2380
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Highly doubtful the Integra is AWD. The WRX is now a CUV-lite (plastic fenders and cladding, raised ground clearance) so not really in the sporty car discussion anymore.
Motor Trend, for what it's worth, speculating it will be. From August:

Quote:
Oh, and while the original Integra was not all-wheel drive—it was instead a very smart-handling front-driver—we expect the 2022 Integra to be AWD. We assume that, like previous Integras, the new one will be a compact, sporty vehicle; possibly it will be a coupe, though we're purely speculating at this point.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/acur...-2022-preview/

I'd still call the WRX a sporty car. Especially if they eventually give the option of the color-matched fenders. Doesn't look so bad in the grey as it stands (to blend the fenders now). As far as I'm aware it's the same ground clearance as the previous gen, no? Looks like 5.1" vs. 4.9", so not a massive swing.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote