Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2021, 08:45 PM   #2121
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's the attraction of an RS6 outside of it being a wagon? It's way overpriced and on a performance level can't even compete with a lower priced German carl like the M3/M4.
Well, I am pretty sure they are all German cars.

But the RS6 and RS7 definitely outperform the M3 and M4 (0-60 in the low 3s, depending on who is doing the testing)

And they are incomparable with respect to comfort
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #2122
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The current plan in the RS Etron GT. However, they aren't taking orders yet, and if I find something more interesting before the order goes in, then so be it.
When you said it didn't blow your skirt up, I wasn't sure... Congratulations! Should be an amazing car and a hell of an experience.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 09:58 PM   #2123
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The current plan in the RS Etron GT. However, they aren't taking orders yet, and if I find something more interesting before the order goes in, then so be it.
If you didn't get in on the first 50 you should just wait for the wagon version. Hopefully it's not all illogical like the Taycan wagon with somehow less than a litre more boot capacity.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #2124
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

K this gunshot backfire trend has gone too far. Like it’s ####ing relentless.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #2125
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Any of you guys wrestle with the environmental implications of gas guzzlers? I really like the Telluride as a three-row vehicle - roomier than any of the Germans, good value for all the safety tech, looks reasonably cool for an SUV - but the NA V6 gives you like 19 MPG city and 24 MPG highway.

Like, operating that is a pretty uncool move in this day and age, is it not? Climate change is fataing us up here, there and everywhere. Are we all just saying "fata it, not my problem" or am I overblowing the difference one vehicle makes to the whole issue?
No replies. I think I have my answer and fata it...if you can't beat 'em, join' em. I'm not going to be the only car guy worrying about the environment.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #2126
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No replies. I think I have my answer and fata it...if you can't beat 'em, join' em. I'm not going to be the only car guy worrying about the environment.
Sorry, got sidetracked being told what car I shouldn't buy

But based on that, I think you can guess how I feel.

Look, I don't intentionally choose gas guzzlers, but fuel economy does not really factor into my decision. Between my wife and I, in non-COVID years, we drive <15k km, so far less than average.

I have nothing against electric cars and will definitely choose to drive one before they're mandated. However, at this time, either there's nothing available in the segment we need, or the pricing doesn't make for a compelling value prop. Ford announcing the Lightning is one encouraging development.

You?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 07:18 AM   #2127
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually don't mind the Telluride at all.

I like the look, but have in the back of my mind that Kia is the "off brand" of Hyundai.

I'm not sure that is a fair assessment.

I am looking to replace my 2011 Durango and we still need room of a vehicle that size.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #2128
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I actually don't mind the Telluride at all.

I like the look, but have in the back of my mind that Kia is the "off brand" of Hyundai.

I'm not sure that is a fair assessment.

I am looking to replace my 2011 Durango and we still need room of a vehicle that size.
Yeah, some people still think that about Hyundai and KIA, but in fact both brands make great cars at a great value. I stumbled into liking the Telluride one day last year. My wife and I were looking at a used Mercedes GLS 450, which is the MB three row. It was a complete disappointment. Not all that nice inside (2019 model, anyway), and totally cramped for space with a borderline useless third row. I actually hated it and was expecting to love it.

Anyway, we went to every manufacturer to try every three row vehicle and the Telluride was faaaaaar better than all of them. By leaps and bounds. Nothing from Audi, Ford, Honda, BMW, Mazda, etc. (I mean it when I say we put every make on the table) even came close. No comparison whatsoever. And by better I mean the interior layout, space in all rows, the self driving stuff, all the other tech, exterior looks great and the interior is nice (I like the Pallisade interior more, but hate the exterior). The downside is the drivetrain - boring old V6 that's competent but not fast or particularly fun.

For whatever reason I've never been a fan of any one brand of car. I've practically owned them all. Right now, in 2021, the Telluride is my favourite three row vehicle. Wouldn't matter who made it to me. It's designed the best and the great thing about that is the industry knows it, which will give us all better vehicles on the next redesign cycle. It's the benchmark.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #2129
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I work from home, or bike to the office. I walk my kid to school. I drive maybe 1500kms a year, and most of the that is accrued by family road trips. Considering the amount of energy it takes to build a new car, to source batteries (with questionable mining practises in places nobody thinks about), and that about half of electricity in Alberta is powered by coal... I feel just fine keeping and occasionally enjoying the living crap out of my gas-guzzler instead. If I had a long commute I might feel different (but knowing that cars are my vice, I'd probably still get something stupid and fun).

Last edited by Table 5; 08-13-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #2130
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In a city like Calgary full of full size pickup trucks I don't think I would worry about the implications of driving a Telluride. That said I just looked and was quite surprised how poor the fuel mileage of the Telluride is (Combined/city/highway: 21/19/24 mpg).
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #2131
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I work from home, or bike to the office. I walk my kid to school. I drive maybe 1500kms a year, and most of the that is accrued by family road trips. Considering the amount of energy it takes to build a new car, to source batteries (with questionable mining practises in places nobody thinks about), and that about half of electricity in Alberta is powered by coal... I feel just fine keeping and occasionally enjoying the living crap out of my gas-guzzler instead. If I had a long commute I might feel different (but knowing that cars are my vice, I'd probably still get something stupid and fun).
I hear you. I can go through the same thing on my end. My big thing is lack of air travel. That is murder on the environment and I basically live within a circle around Calgary extending to Lake Louise. Last flight was in 2019 to Whistler and my last flight before that was probably a few years prior. A ton of people fly to every vacation they take, which I think is nuts. Also live close to work. Also ride my bike to work a lot. Live in a smaller house. But still, at some point don't we have to just make all of the right environmental choices and not just pick and choose?

The collective effort will make the difference, but I'm currently looking at my TT V8 I drove into the office, so obviously I'm not on a high horse here. Just with the weird heat this summer and the forest fires (again), I figured maybe we were all reflecting a little more than usual on our own consumption.

Buuuuut, I don't fly all that much and I live in a relatively small house, so I'm leaning toward fata it.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #2132
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Sorry, got sidetracked being told what car I shouldn't buy

But based on that, I think you can guess how I feel.

Look, I don't intentionally choose gas guzzlers, but fuel economy does not really factor into my decision. Between my wife and I, in non-COVID years, we drive <15k km, so far less than average.

I have nothing against electric cars and will definitely choose to drive one before they're mandated. However, at this time, either there's nothing available in the segment we need, or the pricing doesn't make for a compelling value prop. Ford announcing the Lightning is one encouraging development.

You?
pshhh. Like I'm going to take advice from a guy that buys a crossover over a wagon.

jk of course.

Yeah, the tech is coming up fast. Too bad the Telluride didn't have the Highlander Hybrid drivetrain. I'd do that in a heartbeat. Too bad I just don't like the Highlander and the third row is useless compared to the Telluride.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #2133
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
pshhh. Like I'm going to take advice from a guy that buys a crossover over a wagon.

jk of course.

Yeah, the tech is coming up fast. Too bad the Telluride didn't have the Highlander Hybrid drivetrain. I'd do that in a heartbeat. Too bad I just don't like the Highlander and the third row is useless compared to the Telluride.
I was planning on buying a Highlander Hybrid last year until I climbed into that third row seat.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #2134
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, some people still think that about Hyundai and KIA, but in fact both brands make great cars at a great value. I stumbled into liking the Telluride one day last year. My wife and I were looking at a used Mercedes GLS 450, which is the MB three row. It was a complete disappointment. Not all that nice inside (2019 model, anyway), and totally cramped for space with a borderline useless third row. I actually hated it and was expecting to love it.

Anyway, we went to every manufacturer to try every three row vehicle and the Telluride was faaaaaar better than all of them. By leaps and bounds. Nothing from Audi, Ford, Honda, BMW, Mazda, etc. (I mean it when I say we put every make on the table) even came close. No comparison whatsoever. And by better I mean the interior layout, space in all rows, the self driving stuff, all the other tech, exterior looks great and the interior is nice (I like the Pallisade interior more, but hate the exterior). The downside is the drivetrain - boring old V6 that's competent but not fast or particularly fun.

For whatever reason I've never been a fan of any one brand of car. I've practically owned them all. Right now, in 2021, the Telluride is my favourite three row vehicle. Wouldn't matter who made it to me. It's designed the best and the great thing about that is the industry knows it, which will give us all better vehicles on the next redesign cycle. It's the benchmark.
We have actually owned 2 Hyundai's over the years (a Santa Fe and a Minivan) both were good vehicles.

I am also looking at the Palisade from Hyundai, which seems to be build on the same platform.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #2135
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well my latest vehicle purchase was made with fuel economy in mind. Landed a 2021 F-150 with the hybrid. Just passed 7000km and it's easily getting 10 to 11 l/100km. Figured that was a decent way to offset the thirsty AMG wagon.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #2136
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure what you guys were expecting from the Highlander given its size. The third row in that thing is basically the back seat in a Mustang - kind of usable if you really need to but mostly might as well not exist.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #2137
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not sure what you guys were expecting from the Highlander given its size. The third row in that thing is basically the back seat in a Mustang - kind of usable if you really need to but mostly might as well not exist.
I'd agree with you if I had never sat in a Telluride. It has minivan space inside.

Exterior length of a Telluride is 5000mm and the Highlander is 5015mm.

I'm 6'4". I can sit in the third row of the Telluride in comfort. My 5'3" wife couldn't sit in the Highlander's third row comfortably.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #2138
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd agree with you if I had never sat in a Telluride. It has minivan space inside.

Exterior length of a Telluride is 5000mm and the Highlander is 5015mm.

I'm 6'4". I can sit in the third row of the Telluride in comfort. My 5'3" wife couldn't sit in the Highlander's third row comfortably.
It also lists itself as 8 passenger, not 7

Quote:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #2139
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
We have actually owned 2 Hyundai's over the years (a Santa Fe and a Minivan) both were good vehicles.

I am also looking at the Palisade from Hyundai, which seems to be build on the same platform.
Yeah, I think mechanically they are identical. The Pallisade has a richer-looking interior that looks much better than the Telluride's interior. If you like the exterior of the Pallisade it's a great vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #2140
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
It also lists itself as 8 passenger, not 7
You can actually choose between a bench (three seats) for the second row or two captain's chairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: